Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Let's see your Roman Republic coins

I recently purchased this one (M Marcius Mn f Denarius, 134 BCE; Obverse: Roma right, modius behind, denomination below chin, Reverse: Victory with whip in biga right, M-MAR-C, RO-MA below, divided by two grain ears; Cr245/1, Syd 500):

imageimage

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson

Comments

• bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lovely coin. I enjoy republics but dont have many, they get pricey.

My Gallery
  • I bought a group lot or republics to resell to fund my collection, several cool pieces in there but this one I'm not in any hurry to sell cheap:

imageimage

Roman Republic
    AR Serrate Denarius
    Rome mint circa 64BC
    18mm
    3.89g

Moneyer Lucius Roscius Fabatus

Obverse: Head of Juno Sospita (Juno the preserver) facing right, wearing goat's skin, ROSCI (abbreviation of the moneyers gens (clan name) ) below, symbol behind head

Reverse: Female standing facing right, feeding serpent in front of her, symbol behind her, FABATI(abbreviation of the moneyers stirps (family branch name)) in exergue

The reverse type depicts the scene that occurred yearly at Lanuvium at the festival in honor of Juno Sospita, when a virgin descended into the grotto under the temple with food for the serpent who dwelt there. If the girl selected for the ceremony was chaste, then she returned safely to her home, where there was much rejoicing. If she was not chaste she was destroyed by the serpent.

Lucius Roscius Fabatus was a member of Caesar's staff during the Gallic Wars and he commanded the famous 13th Legion in the winter of 54BC.

Reference: RSC Roscia 3
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My lone Republican at present...

Q. Antonius Balbus 83-82 B.C. Serrate Denarius--#AC54502
    AR Serrate Denarius 20mm. 4.06g. Rome Mint
    Laureate head of Jupiter r., S.C behind; R below chin.
    Victory in quadriga r., holding palm-branch and wreath;
    In ex.: Q.ANTO.BALB / PR
    Crawford 364/1b; RSC Antonia 1a
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice toning on that. (The OP, that is.)

I am for the moment bereft of any Republican coins. I shall have to amend that sad situation soon.

PS- maybe one day Swampboy will sell me the coin above, since it once belonged to a famous ancestor of mine. image

(He neglected to mention the John Quincy Adams pedigree.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

• << <i> it once belonged to a famous ancestor of mine. image
    (He neglected to mention the John Quincy Adams pedigree.) >>

• SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My only republican denarius, which will hopefully be joined by a "friend" in a month or so image

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • beautiful toning on that extremely well struck and preserved caesar!

and again your piece is better than the piece in the smithsonians holdings, be proud
  • JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I like that one Swampboy, as of now I have just 2 pieces which I bought at CICF, but I am a fan and hope to add a couple of more this year.

Anonymous. Ca. 211-210 BC. AR quinarius (17mm, 2.21 gm, 5h). Mint in Apulia. Helmeted head of Roma right wearing winged Attic helmet; V (mark of value) to left / The Dioscuri, each holding spear, on horseback riding right, stars above heads, ROMA in raised letters in exergue; MT monogram to lower right. Crawford 103/2a. King 29. RSC 33k. Rare symbol! NGC Choice AU 5/5 - 5/5.

L. Hostilius Saserna (48 BC). AR denarius (19mm, 4.12 gm, 5h). Rome. Bare head of Gallia right, her hair in disarray; carnyx (Gallic trumpet) behind / SASERNA L • HOSTILIVS Diana (Artemis) of Ephesus standing facing, laureate, wearing long hair falling down her shoulders and long flowing robes, holding spear in left hand and stag by its antlers in her right. Crawford 448/3. CRI 19. Kestner 3541. RSC Hostilia 4. NGC Choice AU 5/5 - 3/5.