Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Can you please help me to identify this ancient coin - Thanks

I know the quality of the pictures is not good - i used my ipad. Hopefully there are enough details to identify coin.

Thanks for your help
MT

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a fake (tourist replica) of a Syracusan dekadrachm.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

• << <i>It's a fake (tourist replica) of a Syracusan dekadrachm. >>

=Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's a fake (tourist replica) of a Syracusan dekadrachm. >>

Uh, no. Actually its in the style of an archiac tetradrachm (4) and NOT a dek (10).

There are a number of both good and terrible looking repos that have been produced, even before WWII, so unless it's from a reliable dealer or you're an expert my bias is usually to assume it's not good and go from there (i.e., build a case why it's ok). It appears to be awfully round and fully struck suggesting more modern manufacture but it's really hard to be definitive with these pix. Knowing the source of the coin, weight and size is also helpful. Here's the fake listing from Forum that you can look thru to see if there's a match. You can search for "Syracuse tetradrachm" to simplify the process. Just because it's not there doesn't mean it's real, but if you find a match it's certain that it's not.

fake list

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    D'oh. image

I just got corrected by a little puffin.

I glanced at the obverse and didn't pay enough attention to the reverse, I guess.

Tet, not dek, indeed.

Still looks like a cast repo to me

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    link

A bit more info. Weight is pretty pretty close for these at ~17 gms.

Not to belabor the point, here's a scan of a "typical" classic style dek from CNG's archives.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • I found this coins among my late uncle collection, it was wrap in a very old thin paper. My uncle used to collect mostly old italian gold coins and romans coins. We found this coin hidden in his studio. I don't have a precise balance for the weight but it is around 17 gr - measuring a bit less then 25.75mm.
    I collect US coins so my knowledge is very little for this coin, i did some research and it looks like number 384 or 386 on boehringer database. I know pictures are not of good quality but it is the best i can do using an ipad. I am really looking for any informations on what to look for determine authenticity. Thanks

[URL=http://s825.photobucket.com/user/m73trl/media/imagejpg1_zpsa447941f.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s825.photobucket.com/user/m73trl/media/imagejpg2_zpsc59890c2.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    MT
    Wow, doesn't look like the same coin...much better.