Home U.S. Coin Forum

Sometimes it's a small world

krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
Went to an area school's Friday Lenten fish fry the other day. My wife was not feeling well so I went alone, and decided to sit at a table with an older couple rather than go to an empty one by myself. They were very friendly and we chatted throughout the meal. The gentleman started talking about different places he lived over the years and mentioned Manitou Springs by Pikes Peak. I said I had been there a couple times, and said it was while I was "doing training at the national HQ for coin collectors (= attending the ANA Summer Seminar) in Colorado Springs.

So he says, "Really? There's a coin club that meets up at the library on the second Tuesday of the month. I'm almost always there."

And I said, "That's the club that Steve started a few years ago, right?" "Right!"

And we mostly talked coins until we finished eating, and I felt sorry for his charming wife, who was relegated to observer status for almost the duration. I felt bad about that part.

But it was kind of serendipitous to randomly bump into another collector and get to have a nice chat about coins.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file