Home U.S. Coin Forum

OT?? Maybe not, Any Windows XP users out there, besides me?

Looks like it's gonna be time to upgrade from Windows XP. Yep, I'm a dinosaur. No more security updates or support from Microsoft after Apr 8th. What do you guys recommend?
Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders

Comments

• bretts911bretts911 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭
    IMO get windows 7...Vista is horrid and windows 8 its meh
    and before anyone comments saying get a mac they are way overpriced unless your into Photoshop and Adobe products its pointless buying one
    JMO
  • MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    "IMO get windows 7...Vista is horrid and windows 8 its meh"

This ↑
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • jrt103jrt103 Posts: 419 ✭✭✭
    1 more vote for Windows 7
  • Is windows 7 still an option, say at "Best Buy" or Dell? Or is that an after market purchase?
    Terry

eBay Store

• felinfoelfelinfoel Posts: 391 ✭✭✭✭
    Agreed it's best to get off XP and upgrade to Windows 7. Windows 8 isn't worth it unless you have a touch screen.

If you're stuck on XP for awhile, there's great advice here (page 13).

Make sure your antivirus is up to date, don't use Internet Explorer, etc. I'd also add installing Secunia PSI.
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't go for 8.1 unless your getting a whole new system it has a bunch of quircks in it.image
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>and before anyone comments saying get a mac they are way overpriced unless your into Photoshop and Adobe products its pointless buying one
    JMO >>

Get a mac. You'll never regret it. I pay more for better quality coins too.
    Lance.
  • rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like it's gonna be time to upgrade from Windows XP. Yep, I'm a dinosaur. No more security updates or support from Microsoft after Apr 8th. What do you guys recommend? >>

As long as you have all the security patches and service packs available as of Apr 8 I see no reason to upgrade for a while. If you believe that any operating system is secure, you are being unwise. I will continue to use XP as long as I can, which is pretty much as long as my existing computers that have XP (6 of them in the house) continue operating. I'll eventually be forced due to hardware or application constraints, but that day is some time off. Til then, my software suite is going to be pretty much set in stone.

I did purchase a laptop for taking to coin club meetings and taking pics for the members, tethering to my Canon camera, and it has Windows 8 on it. It works, but is quite a different experience vs XP. I'm not a Luddite, but I really hate Windows 8. The visual interface designed to compete with Apple works fine on Tablets but is a nightmare for anything else. My work Laptop is a small touchscreen Sony, and I find the visual/touchscreen interface extremely cumbersome to use in a work environment, so have an external mouse and use the physical keyboard. I made the mistake of "upgrading" the work laptop to 8.1, and it is now far more unstable. The hardware and firmware were certified with Win8, and the whole mess is now quite buggy with 8.1.

I would love to say "they can have my WinXPSP3 when they pry it out of my cold, dead hands" but I'm afraid MS will take me literally...
    PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com
  • mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>and before anyone comments saying get a mac they are way overpriced unless your into Photoshop and Adobe products its pointless buying one
    JMO >>

Lance. >>

I agree with Lance.
    Mine is fully integrated with all my iPod music. My iMac is also wirelessly integrated with my iPhone and iPad. They all share the same music library, address books, photos, calander events etc. With the now $89 Apple TV minibox I can view all my photos, videos etc right on my big flatscreen TV as well as seperately access TV shows and new movies(as opposed to Netflix with its only old movie library).
    I do not even ever use Photoshop or Adobe yet find my iMac indespensible for the above convience, integration and intuitive user interfaces.
    My kids grade school has all 6-8th graders get Apple laptops for all school work.
    Our family will never go back to a Windows system ever again.
    Plus, the Apple OS is much less likely to be hacked and is much more secure than Windows.
    Apple remains way ahead of all others in these areas, even without Steve at the helm.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given the computer is fine, and it is the OS that is out of date, saying "get a Mac" makes absolutely no sense. If that was the thought, you could also just get a new PC. Neither solves the actual issue.

I am in the same boat on my only windows machine. If I can't find a cheapo version of 7 to put on, I will just upgrade the OS to Linux and be done with it.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭✭
    Some of my computers are running XP and others are running 7. Frankly, I don't care what Microsoft does or doesn't do. I won't be "upgrading" any time soon. Windows 8 is such a disaster that TV advertizements refer to it as "the new Windows" instead of calling it 8. The pervasiveness of smart phones and tablets, which are largely outside the grasp of Microsoft, has put an end to much of Microsoft's constant upgrade gamesmanship.
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i would not upgrade an old system running windows xp

the newer versions need more hardware power and you will be running very slowly unless you have a fast system already

perhaps get a new computer instead??
    LCoopie = Les
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I purchased a new PC with windows 8 and returned it and got windows 7.

I'm a happy camper now!

bobimage

PS: I don't have a smart phone, etc, so the windows 8 screen was totally greek to me. My kids could
    probably deal with it but I was lost. I deleted stuff I didn't want and that affected other stuff that had
    me going in circles. Had it about two weeks and never could cope.

I understand that now windows 8.x has a way to make it look more user and PC friendly. A way to switch
    the look on the screen so that it looks like a normal windows screen and not a touch/phone screen.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sticking with XP Pro. My security provider (Webroot) and most other antivirus programs will continue to support XP. You can protect yourself in many ways by simply keeping your personal data and files on a removable flash (thumb) drive that is plugged in only during a need to access the data.

FWIW my buddy loves 8.1

Windows 8.1 review

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Given the computer is fine, and it is the OS that is out of date, saying "get a Mac" makes absolutely no sense. If that was the thought, you could also just get a new PC. Neither solves the actual issue.

I am in the same boat on my only windows machine. If I can't find a cheapo version of 7 to put on, I will just upgrade the OS to Linux and be done with it. >>

Why fiddle around with installing a better OS on a unit that is likely ill equipped to handle it? You can buy a refurbished unit with Windows7 already on it for under $200 at WalMart
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Given the computer is fine, and it is the OS that is out of date, saying "get a Mac" makes absolutely no sense. If that was the thought, you could also just get a new PC. Neither solves the actual issue.

I am in the same boat on my only windows machine. If I can't find a cheapo version of 7 to put on, I will just upgrade the OS to Linux and be done with it. >>

Why fiddle around with installing a better OS on a unit that is likely ill equipped to handle it? You can buy a refurbished unit with Windows7 already on it for under $200 at WalMart >>

For me, it is a centrino powered laptop. It will run linux without any issues.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends upon your needs and wants in computing.

If you absolutely love your WinXP. Get a program called Deep Freeze. It'll cost you about 45 bucks or so, you install it, add a supervisor password and then have it "Freeze" your system and reboot in a frozen state.

Nothing you do or anyone else does to your PC will last pass a restart. Your PC is "Read-Only". You need to remember that EVERYTHING about the frozen PC is read only. If you want to save any data (photos, spreadsheets etc,) you'll need to put it on a network drive or perhaps get a thumb drive.

You have to remember this as when you actually want to add software, you have to un-freeze, restart, install, then re-freeze and restart.

The Mac is also a good solution, less stuff to remember, but if you're not a Mac person, there is a learning curve.

Win7 is good, but it's aging and will be in the same position as XP not far down the road (probably a few years).

Win8 even the .1 version doesn't seem to have too many people enamored with it.

M$ seems to hit their homeruns every other major release. Look for Win9.x to be the next one you wanna invest in.
  • SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you absolutely love your WinXP. Get a program called Deep Freeze. It'll cost you about 45 bucks or so, you install it, add a supervisor password and then have it "Freeze" your system and reboot in a frozen state.

Nothing you do or anyone else does to your PC will last pass a restart. Your PC is "Read-Only". You need to remember that EVERYTHING about the frozen PC is read only. If you want to save any data (photos, spreadsheets etc,) you'll need to put it on a network drive or perhaps get a thumb drive.

You have to remember this as when you actually want to add software, you have to un-freeze, restart, install, then re-freeze and restart.. >>

A slight word of caution: the need for security software is still present even with Faronics Deep Freeze. Many threats today exist in a transient space, not needing to persist themselves across reboots, but still causing damage. Keylogging, phishing, browser session hijacking, etc. can all take place immediately regardless of a limited user account, Deep Freeze, or other restrictions put in place.

Therefore, it's definitely worth still having security software on your XP machine, but ensure that it will be kept up to date by the vendor. As mentioned above, Webroot has committed to keeping support for many years (publicly, five years has been said, but practically, it won't ever lose compatibility). There will probably be vulnerabilities discovered shortly after the "death" of XP, and it will likely lie fully on the shoulders of the security vendors to patch or mitigate them, but this is a task that the security industry has been preparing for, considering the remaining size of the XP userbase.

However, if you are looking to upgrade, Windows 7 is a great OS, and one can get used to Windows 8.1 with time, but both will be slower on XP-class hardware than XP itself.

If you have any other questions, let me know: I lead the engineering team for an antivirus company.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leave it to Microsoft to pile on advances in operating systems before they are truly efficiently operational for users who aren't highly trained in IT. All in the name of revenue to keep up with the competition. The level of propaganda used in marketing "new and improved" operating systems is no different than in any other market. Corporate capitalism at its worst.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had to update myself a few years ago from XP. Windows 7 is basically an improved version of XP and well worth the change.
  • stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Some of my computers are running XP and others are running 7. Frankly, I don't care what Microsoft does or doesn't do. I won't be "upgrading" any time soon. Windows 8 is such a disaster that TV advertizements refer to it as "the new Windows" instead of calling it 8. The pervasiveness of smart phones and tablets, which are largely outside the grasp of Microsoft, has put an end to much of Microsoft's constant upgrade gamesmanship. >>

all software is constantly upgraded. this is not a microsoft-only phenomenon.
  • EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still run XP at home. Malwarebytes has announced that they will continue to protect XP machines but you have to buy their full version of their software.

JH
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Some of my computers are running XP and others are running 7. Frankly, I don't care what Microsoft does or doesn't do. I won't be "upgrading" any time soon. Windows 8 is such a disaster that TV advertizements refer to it as "the new Windows" instead of calling it 8. The pervasiveness of smart phones and tablets, which are largely outside the grasp of Microsoft, has put an end to much of Microsoft's constant upgrade gamesmanship. >>

all software is constantly upgraded. this is not a microsoft-only phenomenon. >>

The issue isn't over whether or not software upgrades are inevitable. The OP mentioned that Microsoft is ending their support of XP and earlier versions of MS operating systems. It is a subtle way of Microsoft telling the consumer market that they have to spend more money on their product to maintain practical useability, because there is more money in selling "new and improved" rather than maintaining a reliable, existing system. We live in a societal culture presently ingrained in throw away consumer products. I bought a new desktop CPU last year, and much to my dismay, found that I have to literally throw away my XP based printer as obsolete, because no software manufacturer will provide a driver for the printer that is compatible with Windows 7. So there sits a useless piece of equipment that isn't even as functional as a rotary dial telephone. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    I run both Windows 7 and 8.1 on different computers. 7 is great, but you will be running into
    the same problem sooner as 8 is 18 months newer.

With 8.1, I find that you can run Windows almost the same as 7. The antivirus is better with 8.1 Windows Defender is better
    than McAfee, Norton, or the other free ones that come with new computers.
    Startup is much faster with 8.1.

Still, I hope it all gets better with Windows 9, hopefully sometime this year.

I was on Dell today and they still offer some Windows 7 machines.

Micro Center sells a lot of Windows 7 machines from top manufacturers.
  • sawyerjoshsawyerjosh Posts: 409 ✭✭✭
    Windows 7 the best O/S
    As a seller: USARarities, acloco, coindudeonebay, Twinturbo, MICHAELDIXON, blu62vette, mothra454, LukeMarshall, USARarities
    As a buyer: QualityCurrencycom, tychojoe, AurumMiner, Collectorcoins, perfectstrike, ModCrewman, LeeBone, nickel, REALGATOR, MICHAELDIXON, pointfivezero, Walkerguy21D
    Trades: georgiacop50

<< <i>Windows 7 the best O/S >>

and I find Webroot to be the best third party protection. Spent two hours on the phone with me once resolving an issue, the kind of service I like. I got the impression I was one of the first to encounter a new bug and not only did they take care of me, but I believe they used the data to protect everyone else.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭
    +1 on the advice to move to a new machine that comes with Win 7.

Upgrading a very old machine is not going to be worth the trouble.

Why pay for a retail copy of Win 7 when you can get a machine that comes with it?
  • CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭

<< <i>IMO get windows 7...Vista is horrid and windows 8 its meh
    and before anyone comments saying get a mac they are way overpriced unless your into Photoshop and Adobe products its pointless buying one
    JMO >>

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• meos1meos1 Posts: 1,135

<< <i>

<< <i>

JMO >>

Lance. >>

Plus, the Apple OS is much less likely to be hacked and is much more secure than Windows.
    >>

Thats pure BS. The recent gotofail debacle showed exactly how little maturity in patch development Apple has. Apples everywhere lifted their skirt for a dropoutjeep review of data from a man-in-the-middle exploit.

Behind Android (the swiss cheese of operating systems) Apple is number two....Yes, you read that right. I investigate hacks for a living. If you are on Apple your wide open and its a target rich envionment.
    I am just throwing cheese to the rats chewing on the chains of my sanity!

First Place Winner of the 2005 Rampage design contest!
  • meos1meos1 Posts: 1,135
    If you want to stay on XP good luck. There are no more security patches. As hackers (believer me, these people are well funded and very organized) find exploits for the O/S your going to see new and nefarious ways to screw the computer and extracate your data. Its simply a matter of time before you get compromised. Outside of "freezing" the O/S as Lanlord mentioned your just asking for trouble.
    I am just throwing cheese to the rats chewing on the chains of my sanity!

First Place Winner of the 2005 Rampage design contest!
  • OK folks, I'm going for a complete new system, w/windows 7 , 21.5" monitor, wireless Kb and mouse, and new wireless printer. My two old Dell systems were purchased in 2000 and 2001. I got the good out of them. I knew you guys had the answers. Sorry Mac users, I just can't go there. image Time to sell a coin. image
    Terry

eBay Store

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    as an avid windows pc user for nearly half my life going back to 3.1 which was on 3.5" (lol) i will say that win7 from a normal to heavy home user it is really quite versatile and user friendly and haven't ran into anything i couldn't do that i wanted to. if i had a pc like this back when....

never used a mac as an adult so can't say anything about them but will say that itunes, pod, pad etc have been wonderful++++++ my laziness prevented me from trying mac. my loss?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• DaveWcoinsDaveWcoins Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    Thanks you to all forum members who provided assistance here in this thread.

I just purchased 2 refurbished Dell computers with Windows 7 Pro and 4 GB of memory from Walmart.com for about $200 each.

I am so angry with MS -- I pledge to never buy anything else from them.

I was going to switch everything over to Apple, but I don't want the distraction of a learning curve right now. Rest assured though that MS has lost me as a future customer.

Planned obsolescence indeed.
    Dave Wnuck. Redbook contributor; long time PNG Member; listed on the PCGS Board of Experts. PM me with your email address to receive my e-newsletter, and visit DaveWcoins.com Find me on eBay at davewcoins
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    get a bigger monitor if you have room, they are super inexpensive and you can watch netflix and videos on it

25 in
    LCoopie = Les
  • metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Purchased new computer ( built with parts) with a Samsumg solid state drive " FAST!!!!! with with Win. 7
    Keeping my perfectly functioning XP machine for photo management. Read :Microsoft Picture Manager
    NOT avail on Office 2013
    #$^!#^!@$!!
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭
    Transitioning now to a new Asus desktop system running Win7 with 32G.....something very fast because I'll need it for trading, etc. Two monitors to start, but a vid card for 4 when needed, if needed..hey, I've only got one eye! image

Now, if I only had a real option other than Comcr@p Cable for my web feed ..... image
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>registry hack enables continued updates for Windows XP >>

Don't remember the exact issue now, but there was a recent security breach where Microsoft did include an update for Windows XP too.
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

JMO >>

Lance. >>

--------------------------------------------------

I agree,,,,,, get a MAC,,,,, I was on Windows XP until about a year ago when my son talked me into a MAC,,,,, there was a learning curve at first but now I really like it

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm running on a 8.1 Pro Preview OS which basically expired 3 mo. ago but restarts every 2 hours. I don't know how long it will last this way. I was told to set my computer clock back a couple months to stop the restarting condition.........have yet to try that. I dread the idea having to fork $200 to upgrade. Someone recently handed me a laptop but the touchpad? That's nutsville to me. Don't get me wrong, I have a wireless mouse but why change when my desktop is working? I've always have built my own computers since they started selling barebone units.
    At first, did try buying a full computer from Best Buy but the thing crashed on day one, it was a IBM. They said we'll order the parts and a tech will install it for you. I replied, will I still be able to return the computer if I don't like it because by the time the parts and tech arrives, my two week return policy will have expired. They said no, I could not return it. I returned it that day. Two weeks later the doorbell rings and there's the freaking tech with my parts. image
    The best way to build a fast computer, keep track of the tech that comes out, what's number one, what has the greatest reviews and has been tested the most. Then wait 5-6 months and buy it cheap and upgrade. Every so often, you need to upgrade the motherboard and monitor to keep up with the upgrades but it's worth it. The speed, that is. Anymore, I just wait till my son upgrades and take his old computer which he races Nascar on. It's faster than anything I need. Now if I can find a way to upgrade my OS cheap, I'll be set for awhile. image

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    I'm still considering the next release of CP/M
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've found yelling at my computer is good therapy, but my neighbors think I'm crazy.
  • DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Win 7 32-bit can run most DOS apps with a right-click. 64-bit won't. You'll have to run a VM. If that matters, stick with Win 7 32-bit. Win 8 and 8.1 ship without a virtual machine, so you can't support legacy DOS apps without adding software. If you're running XP, there's a chance that matters.

Don
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • stev32kstev32k Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭
    I still have a machine that runs Windows NT. It is not connected to the internet so I don't worry about viruses or hacking. It is used to run some modeling software that is not compatible with later operating systems and it still runs just as good as it did when new. It is slow compared with newer machines, but to replace the software would cost about $5,000 so I'll keep it around as long as I can.
    Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive?
  • ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Linux has it's own vulnerabilities, the biggest being a false sense of total security by its users. >>

A quote from the linked article: "But in terms of overall security it is still far superior to Windows."

Some things to ponder:

About Windows:
    If your computer lacks more than 1.5gb of RAM, and / or a multi-core processor, WIN 7 will be SLOOOOOW if not practically unusable.
    Win 7 is a fresh install, and not an "upgrade" from XP.
    Unless you are using proprietary software that only runs within Windows, ask yourself, "why do I need a Windows based OS?"

About Linux:
    Distributions like Linux Mint, Ubuntu, etc. are FREE. Linux is widely used around the world to drive servers, and business office computers alike. You will not be alone.
    If security is an issue for anyone using any of the popular Linux distributions, there's free AV available.
    Linux Mint, or LBuntu (for really old machines) will run well on older machines with limited RAM, and older processors.
    The Linux library of 100s of mostly FREE SOFTWARE covers nearly every mundane do-at-home task you can think of including Gimp for photo editing like Photoshop, and GNU Cash for money management like MS Money, or Quicken. The library also includes some heavy duty software for building stable networks. Linux is no orphan!
    Linux Distributions are generally easier to learn and maintain due to their inherent intuitiveness.

Try Linux. You have nothing to lose. Linux Mint, Ubuntu, and a host of other distributions of Linux can be downloaded for FREE. It can be run right from a CD/DVD without installing on your computer hard drive to see if you like using it. Providing enough HD space, it can installed on the HD along side XP and run by selecting it at start-up, or even run within Windows.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file