Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Colonial George V Crowned Bust coins...is this all?

I've always liked the MacKennal portrait as it appeared on British Colonial coins 1911-1936 and want to put a little type set together...is this a complete list of countries? I've flipped through the Krause catalog rather quickly so not sure if I missed any.

Australia
British Honduras
British West Africa
Canada
Ceylon
Cyprus
East Africa
Fiji
British Guiana
Hong Kong
India
Jamaica
Jersey
Mauritius
New Zealand
Newfoundland
South Africa
Southern Rhodesia
Straits Settlements

Any others?

Comments

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had no idea there were that many. Not surprising, I guess.

I've got some inexpensive pieces right now if you're looking for a medium to low end set:

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Well these are all with just that portrait. If I were to make a list of George VI, it would be a lot longer.

I'm trying to put the set together in UNC...just a nice mix of copper and silver. Nothing too fancy, but just some nice coins with good eye-appeal. I've been thinking about this for awhile now but only today got more serious.

I still have to go through my stuff to see if I have anything else (I probably do, just have to find it) but this is what I have so far for this particular set:

Canada - 1 Cent 1913
    India - 1 Rupee 1920(c)
    Jersey - 1/24th Shilling 1935
    Newfoundland - 1 Cent 1936

I know I have the majority of the set in circulated condition, but that wouldn't be that much fun. So that's why I'm going with uncs.

Dennis
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    You will find silver coins from British Honduras and Cyprus to be the most difficult to find in unc (except the Cyprus 35 piastres). When they do come up they aren't cheap.

I'm sure you've already seen this, but Australia is the only country to have three different portraits of his grumpiness (the 1927 Canberra commemorative florin, regular issue coinage, and the 1935 Silver Jubilee commemorative florin). I like E.B. McKennal's portrait the most, also.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    BTW, do you have Jerry Remick's book on the coins of the British Commonwealth?
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Very interesting and unique collecting theme. Look forward to seeing your progress!

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    MrBreezeMrBreeze Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭
    Dennis,

I believe you are correct at 19 different countries. I have been passively doing this collection, but I will probably just do silver UNCs. That leaves you with 17 different countries with Jamaica and Jersey out of the set.
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭

<< <i>BTW, do you have Jerry Remick's book on the coins of the British Commonwealth? >>

I do not. Is it worth picking up?
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sir Edgar Bertram Mackennal

He was an Australian and was Knighted.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television