Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

My Regensburg Pfennings in their new Truviews from PCGS

Just got news my first world coin submission has been shipped, and the Truviews are in!

Three of the five pfennings I sent for grading are new 'finest knowns' at PCGS, which is fun, but I wonder how many mint state pfennings are out there, and how long these will remain on top, if there are many of them and it becomes popular to send them for grading.

1727 MS63

1745 MS64

1778 MS65

1780 MS65

1790-R MS64

And BTW... are 'pfennig' and 'pfenning' interchangeable?

I remember when!

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those look great in their TrueViews.

Tiny little suckers, ain't they? I once had a couple of those uniface ones, though not that nice.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Very nice coins ... and great pics. The number of types makes this series fun to collect.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ones I had had some earthen patina on them, including some sparkly microcrystalline substance, as if they'd been found in soil that had a lot of clay content and little flecks of mica or pyrite or something. Pretty, in a way.

So they were probably dug, but quite nice for dug examples. As a detectorist, I can only imagine how tough it would be to pinpoint one of those little things in the ground. (But having dug a little Charles I hammered silver penny while in England, I experienced a bit of that.)

One wonders what it must have been like to use them in commerce. No wonder some of them were probably lost and ended up in the dirt.

(I remember losing a little Indian gold fanam while seated on the couch in forum member Aethelred's living room. It remained AWOL for months, until he or his wife found it while sweeping- under their refrigerator- in the kitchen.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yup nice lil grouping and congrats on first submission image