Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Mint still hasn't figured out trail dies

I kind of wait for this time of year to see if the U. S. Mint has finally figured out what trail dies are and a way to rid themselves of this pesky "little" variety die problem. Much to my regret image the Mint is still clueless on what is going on. So, it appears that we are again stuck looking for trail dies in 2014.

Here is the LINK

BJ Neff
Member; ANA, CONECA, CFCC, Fly-in-Club, FUN, NLG.

Comments

• crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    I have to admit I have no idea what those are.
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trial dies.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623

<< <i>Trial dies. >>

I don't get it.
  • pcunixpcunix Posts: 620

<< <i>Trial dies. >>

No, I think he meant trails - just like the "wavy step" Lincolns. Something to do with the new presses, I forget the details and those wavy steps are too hard to see for me to care. This looks more interesting.

Here: Trails and Wavy Steps
  • BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow! I'll have to read this information several times before I even come close to getting it!
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I consider it too inconsequential for my own collecting interests - much like minor machine doubling. I am sure some will focus on this, and a segment will collect the anomaly. Cheers, RickO
  • While trail dies (same as wavy steps) have been somewhat connected to single hubbing, we have seen trails as far back as 1869 (Uruguay coin), so it is not something that is new. There are also proof U. S. coins dating back to the 1950's that have trails on them.

As for trails being like minor machine doubling, I disagree. Some of these trail dies can be seen without the aid of magnification and that is an indication of a rather strong anomaly. Also, trails dies are a variety die while machine doubling is more of an error than anything else.
    Member; ANA, CONECA, CFCC, Fly-in-Club, FUN, NLG.
  • StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, so I read about traildies, and this last batch of coins I went through I actually set the 3 I found aside.

So... Which are these, and what is everyone doing with them? I see only a handful on eBay selling anywhere from $2-10 it seems.

1995 #1

1995 #2

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,871 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The deslexic in me wanted to see "Trial Dies"...you know, weakly struck coinage.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file