Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

for those of you researching 1794 dollars and 1796-1797 half dollars:

PreTurbPreTurb Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭
The following were offered in the Jan 24 1927 issue of Guttag Brothers "Coin Bulletin": One 1794 dollar, three 1796 halves, three 1797 halves. It's an obscure publication, so I thought I would mention it.

...And another (different) 1794 dollar in the Dec 2 1927 Bulletin.

Comments

• Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

Cool. Do you have a copy of that particular Guttag publication?
  • Options
    PreTurbPreTurb Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭
    Yup, just looked through a pile of them. U.S. Coin Co. bulletins are the next pile to review.
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

I don't have Martin Logies work on 1794 dollars. I assume that the two 1794 dollars in the Guttag Bros publication are accounted for in Martin's book. Do you know?
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

Pre-Turb: << One 1794 dollar, three 1796 halves, three 1797 halves. It's an obscure publication, so I thought I would mention it. .. ...And another (different) 1794 dollar in the Dec 2 1927 Bulletin. >>

Although I know some things about the Guttag Brothers, I am not familiar with the format of this particular publication. Are these coins pictured? If so, how clear are the pictures?

Are these specific 1796-97 halves mentioned in Jon Amato's book?

Numisma: <<I don't have Martin Logies work on 1794 dollars. I assume that the two 1794 dollars in the Guttag Bros publication are accounted for in Martin's book.>>

I do have Martin's book, which I strongly recommend. Logies focused more on auction records than on FPLs. Even if the Guttag Brothers are not mentioned, these two 1794 dollars might very well be mentioned in Martin's book. Pictures would be needed to be sure.

Coincidentally, an article on the Norweb 1797 half was published today. It contains much information regarding its pedigree, including recent events.

The Norweb 1797 Half Dollar, among the top five of the entire Draped Bust ‘Small Eagle’ type

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great coin - one of my all time favorites that I have owned!
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

The history, far back, of the Rogers-Pogue 1796 and 1797 halves is not clear. Could they have been offered by the Guttag Brothers in 1927? PreTurb never answered my question regarding pictures, if any, in the "Coin Bulletin" that he cited in the top post.

The Marvelous Pogue Family Coin Collection, part 1: Finest 1796-97 Draped Bust Half Dollar

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Cool. Do you have a copy of that particular Guttag publication? >>

I would be interested as well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file