Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

All these error coin threads lately, here are two. *Sold the quarter*

First of all, here is one of those dime-thickness quarters. These usually go for over $100 if I'm not mistaken; how did I do on this one? I plan to resell it at a profit.

Second, can you guess how many strikes are on this VERY cool Large Cent? I can see at least three distinct on both sides and tentatively guess four total. But it honestly could be up to 6 or 7, and there may be one dramatically off center because I see some very erratically placed denticles on the obverse. I think it's a 1797, because there are a good few errant 7's floating around the general date area, and no 8's. I love this coin already, and it hasn't even come.

Comments

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 70-D on dime stock quarters usually sell for $10-40 in issue free circ condition raw, but the example you purchased is extremely hair lined.

Tough to see much on the corroded cent but it does look double or triple stuck and also looks like it might be 3-5% off center?
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boy that Draped cent is sure ruff, but a potentially cool pickup for ten bux!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    >> I plan to resell it at a profit>>

I tried that once....didn't go so well.....81 post thread on the World/Ancient BST

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    I think the top strike on the cent is about 3% off center, there is one centered underneath, and maybe another one, and possibly one about 70% off center. There are some oddly placed denticles running on the lower part of the bust.

Here is the next cheapest example of the quarter on Ebay, and it's only an XF details. I feel like mine came comparatively cheap.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think the top strike on the cent is about 3% off center, there is one centered underneath, and maybe another one, and possibly one about 70% off center. There are some oddly placed denticles running on the lower part of the bust.

Here is the next cheapest example of the quarter on Ebay, and it's only an XF details. I feel like mine came comparatively cheap. >>

Sorry, that linked coin is is overpriced by $128 as it severely damaged

Even tho you have a very cool off metal error, this date is extremely common.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here is the next cheapest example of the quarter on Ebay, and it's only an XF details. I feel like mine came comparatively cheap. >>

Sorry, that linked coin is is overpriced by $128 as it severely damaged

Even tho you have a very cool off metal error, this date is extremely common. >>

If you look at the Complete Sales of all 1970-D quarters on dime stock you'll see that you paid full retail and this wasn't a rip.

Sorry to say but I've been buying from the seller chuck9999 for 9 years and he's not leaving any money on the table.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    What do you think about the Cent, EoC? As for the 25c, I've never seen it listed for less than $100. Have I simply not seen enough of them?
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

The Large Cent looks to be a 1797 and is double struck, from what I can tell from the photos. Possibly S-139, but I would not bet on that unless I had the coin "in hand," since mother nature didn't leave too much for us to work with on this coin.

I cataloged a large collection of early copper errors about 10 years ago, and this type of error is not uncommon. Too bad it is a dug coin with ample porosity and environmental damage. But I do agree with you that the coin is stuck at least twice and possibly more. Again, the ones that I handled in similar condition went for a couple hundred dollars, and those pieces had full dates.
  • Options
    Does the value increase (somewhat) proportionally with each extra strike? Or is a 4-strike coin about the same as a 2-strike? Double strikes are not terribly uncommon on 1790s copper, but this one seems to have hints of several (comparatively; some may be a little off) well-centered strikes and even maybe one or two dramatically off-center.
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

The value on the early copper errors have much to do with "eye appeal" and "wow factor." Condition always adds value (obviously), and the more dramatic the error, the more demand and, hence, a higher value. A piece that is dateless and corroded has a nominal value. Based on what you paid, you have zero downside and perhaps a couple hundred dollars in upside. I encourage you to attribute the piece properly, just to be sure that it is not an NC variety or something. Post high resolution photos when you get this puppy and perhaps we can get it attributed for you.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>>> I plan to resell it at a profit>>

I tried that once....didn't go so well.....81 post thread on the World/Ancient BST >>

I saw that. Amazing stuff.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1868LargeCent, thanks for sharing the items. I never would have noticed that large cent... definitely sounds like a good catch on that one.
    ----- kj
  • Options
    Haven't heard anyone say how many strikes it appears to have, or how much of a difference in price it would make?
  • Options

<< <i>The value on the early copper errors have much to do with "eye appeal" and "wow factor." Condition always adds value (obviously), and the more dramatic the error, the more demand and, hence, a higher value. A piece that is dateless and corroded has a nominal value. Based on what you paid, you have zero downside and perhaps a couple hundred dollars in upside. I encourage you to attribute the piece properly, just to be sure that it is not an NC variety or something. Post high resolution photos when you get this puppy and perhaps we can get it attributed for you. >>

Sorry, but my scanner and camera are both broken, weren't that good to begin with, and I've never used an image-hosting site.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The value on the early copper errors have much to do with "eye appeal" and "wow factor." Condition always adds value (obviously), and the more dramatic the error, the more demand and, hence, a higher value. A piece that is dateless and corroded has a nominal value. Based on what you paid, you have zero downside and perhaps a couple hundred dollars in upside. I encourage you to attribute the piece properly, just to be sure that it is not an NC variety or something. Post high resolution photos when you get this puppy and perhaps we can get it attributed for you. >>

well said and +1

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,474 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here is the next cheapest example of the quarter on Ebay, and it's only an XF details. I feel like mine came comparatively cheap. >>

Your coin is also raw and ungraded and as such I would expect it to be "comparatively cheap".
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are planning to make a killing on very worn or damaged coins, you better think again. If you are planning to resell them on ebay for a profit-forget it as the most likely purchasers have already seen and rejected them. Unless you cherry-pick a variety or undergraded coin, the idea of buying a coin on ebay and then reselling it on ebay for a profit is a misguided venture.
  • Options
    Sold the quarter for $40 today. Crow is delicious ain't it?
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sold the quarter for $40 today. Crow is delicious ain't it? >>

…at least you didn't lose any money and eBay made some money…win/win image

Erik
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭

How about a link to the listing so we can all see and experience it? I suppose after eBay and Paypal take their cut, and after you pay your income taxes on it, you may net $5.00. That does not include your time listing the coin, taking pictures, driving to the USPS, printing a label, buying a mailer, etc.

• Options
    It sold about 24 hrs after I listed it. I had it listed at .99 cent bid or $40 BIN. I feel like I should have put the BIN higher. It just sold too soon. What would have been a better price?
  • Options

<< <i>

How about a link to the listing so we can all see and experience it? >>

My listing or chuck9999's?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

How about a link to the listing so we can all see and experience it? >>

My listing or chuck9999's? >>

Your listing, not Chucks. You already provided Chuck's listing.

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Error.

Say it five times really fast and everyone will think you're imitating your car not starting.
  • Options

<< <i>here >>

Really? That does not look like the same coin. If it is, then you did photoshop with your picture. Chuck's listing clearly shows significant rim damage on the reverse and a cleaned obverse. Your listing shows nothing of the sort and also claims to be a problem free coin. So, wit regard to your comment on eating crow...We are not the ones eating it.

• Options

<< <i>First of all, here is one of those dime-thickness quarters. These usually go for over $100 if I'm not mistaken; how did I do on this one? I plan to resell it at a profit.

Second, can you guess how many strikes are on this VERY cool Large Cent? I can see at least three distinct on both sides and tentatively guess four total. But it honestly could be up to 6 or 7, and there may be one dramatically off center because I see some very erratically placed denticles on the obverse. I think it's a 1797, because there are a good few errant 7's floating around the general date area, and no 8's. I love this coin already, and it hasn't even come. >>

Quoted to make sure Chuck's listing does not get deleted.
  • Options
    I received a different coin than the one in the picture. It is way nicer than the cleaned junk I thought I bought and Chuck heard it in my feeedback.
  • Options

<< <i>I received a different coin than the one in the picture. It is way nicer than the cleaned junk I thought I bought and Chuck heard it in my feeedback. >>

Then no one here is eating crow. The comments in this thread were based on the listing you provided us, which show a cleaned and damaged coin. The one you sold is uncleaned and undamaged and not the same coin. How's about telling us the entire story and not just part of it. Talking to us about eating crow and you are not even telling us everything. Good grief.

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I received a different coin than the one in the picture. It is way nicer than the cleaned junk I thought I bought and Chuck heard it in my feeedback. >>

Erik
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Odd
  • Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭✭
    A nifty plot twist would be that Chuck realized his mistake of sending a nicer coin but let the OP have it anyway.
    Then he sees the coin is relisted by the OP and buys it back, then will flip it again on eBay for a profit. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file