Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Has Anyone Here, Or Anyone Here Know Anyone Who.....

has actually purchased a complete album of circulated coins, where the intention was not to pluck out the key dates?

Seems that every father I know built a circulated mercury dime set, or Lincoln set, or barber set. There must be millions of them out there. People spent tens of millions of hours on them.

What is it that happens to them?
I'd like my copper well done please!

Comments

• Options
    nagsnags Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭
    I bought a complete set of barber halves in a dansco album a couple years ago at a local auction. It's a nice honest, problem free set of lower grade circulated coins. I like the thought that the previous owner spent a great deal of time putting the set together.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was with Harlan Berk we would sometimes put out complete sets that we had bought and sell them intact if we could. It depended on the set. A general rule was that if it didn't sell by Christmas, I would break it up.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I purchased a couple of incomplete sets at yard sales....Mercs and cents....nothing of great value...but a good price. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a nearly-complete Merc dime set in exchange for a gold coin, once. It lacked only the '16-D, as I recall, and was a nicer circ set, say F-VF on up to MS. Mostly XF-AU, and not just in the later dates, either.

I broke it up and sold the coins individually in my antique mall booth over a few years.

Have gotten circ sets of silver Roosies (who hasn't?), Frankies, and Peace dollars before, but I think I resold those as sets. They were a bit more generic than the Merc dime set I mentioned.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What is it that happens to them? >>

A lot are still around, I'll bet. Tucked in boxes, stored in basements or attics. Partially complete, from circulation change. The overwhelming majority aren't worth much but have sentimental value, maybe.
    Lance.
  • Options
    CoppercolorCoppercolor Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭
    Ok. This is about what I expected. I was just noticing that I rarely see these sold, and I know there's tons out there. So either I was missing them or there weren't many being sold.

Maybe when families learn they aren't worth the fortune they suspected, then they decide to keep them cause "uncle Harold spent ten years completing this set" or something like that.
    I'd like my copper well done please!
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Circulated, no, but I bought a complete set of unc. Roosevelt dimes 1946-79 (including S proofs) in a Harco album many years ago. I've since transferred them to a blank Dansco dime album along with a partial set of Mercury dimes I bought.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file