Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Help with ID on two thin, silver, hammered coins(?)

The first one, I assume is a Charles the 1st, but I can't seem to find any of them online that have the same 'frilled collar' (or whatever that is,) around the King's neck. I'm trying to value them, approximately, and it doesn't seem to match. (I've assumed it's a shilling, due to the Xll...(no?)

Feel free to have a chuckle at my ignorance, if I'm way off on the coin, (knowing collectors on the darkside, it will be a good-natured chuckle, I'm sure.)

The 2nd coin, I can't figure out at all, (I don't normally buy or sell coins like these, but they were offered as being 'almost junk' by a shop owner here in WA state, so I bought them.) It's not in the best shape, clearly.

TIA

I remember when!

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are correct in your assumption of the "XII" meaning it's a shilling, and I agree- it looks like Charles I. (Edit- definitely Charles. You can read "CAROLVS").

I will defer to those more knowledgeable for a more exact attribution.

The second coin is almost certainly English as well, and were I to make a wild guess, I'd say it looks circa 15th century or so (i.e., 1400s-ish). The mint is not London- I can see CIVI TAS ... WIC

(Nor) WIC(h)? (Ber) WIC(k)? I have no idea. Not terribly up to speed on my medieval English mints, I'm afraid. But there you have it- what little I know.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    I think the shilling is an early type although I don't recognize the mintmark from the listing in the Spink catalog.

• CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    The second coin is probably Edward IV, but it's really hard to say for sure.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Yep, definitely silver and hammered. I'd say, by the looks of 'em, it was a 16-pound hammer. image

On a serious note, as I googled minting hammers to find a common weight (failed BTW; 16 was just a guess), I came across this neat website which includes a short but detailed description of all minting processes AND a BST forum. Worth a look!

http://www.fleur-de-coin.com/articles/ancient-minting
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    According to my older Seaby book, the Charles I shilling with the ruff would seem to be something like a 2776A. There are a number of other small varieties listed thru #2778 so that is just a first pass at an attribution.

Also according to Seaby, Norwich (which is indicated by the WIC on the reverse) only struck for Edward IV and William III, the latter much too late for this coin of course. Assuming this is a groat (4d) only a single listing is provided for Edward for Norwich (#2011). You'd have to compare the remaining legend on the obverse to an attributed Edward coin to be sure of course. I did see that wildwinds has a norwich groat that could be compared to your coin.

These are both tentative since these are outside "my" typical area but ought to get you pretty close to the mark.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aha! Norwich! I knew it.

I was also right about it being from the 1400s. I just couldn't have pinpointed the monarch and the rest like these fellas did.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.