Home Precious Metals
Options

Can someone please recommend a Chicago area B&M

Preferably one that sells bullion related items (90%, ASE's, AGE's, .999 rounds and bars) at reasonable premiums. I've been stacking for years however most of my purchases have been online through APMEX, Provident, Ebay, or JM Bullion. I am in Tinley Park so preferably one on the south side. A quick google search turns up Kedzie Koins, Chicago Coin Co., and Harlan J. Berk. Anyone have any experience with these dealers?
Veni, Vidi, Vici

Comments

• Options
    Harlan J. Berk

I have never been there but heard great things about that store.
    Our own Capt. Henway have worked there for quite few years.

We have a couple of forumites from the area that may recommend other B&Ms.

Btw, Welcome!!
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Have done business with the first 2 you mentioned. They are both very reputable, but as does anyone in the business, they do not offer anything close to melt, but the premiums are what I would call reasonable. If you're willing to travel to Munster, IN, Hodson is a more than fair guy.
    DO NOT do business with the guy on Cal. Ave in Hammond unless you're ready to be insulted when you go to sell something and (a word I can't use here) when buying.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Harlan J. Berk

Btw, Welcome!! >>

And now they accept bitcoins. LOL
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

kedzie coins sells on ebay I believe
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    Harlan Berk is great. They have reasonable premiums on bullion in my experience.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    Pm sent
    Successful BST: VPR, nederveit, RR, Littletweed
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Harlan Berk is great. They have reasonable premiums on bullion in my experience.

I was happy with the way they do business.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    Excellent (multiple) transactions with the folks at Harlan Berk, both on the buy and sell side, both coins and bullion. Top notch.
  • Options
    There's a shop in the shopping center at 159th and Harlem. Haven't been there for awhile and not sure about the bullion mark up but right in your neck of the woods. Near the Dairy Queen. If you were standing in front of the Firestone look to your right. Got one of my best deals ever there years ago. A common date CC GSA that had to be MS66 or MS67. Got it for a few bucks more than the going price at the time and did well at the next show. No deals like that since but he usually gets some interesting stuff there. Coins are in the back. Hummel's and junk like that in the front of the store.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Harlan J. Berk

Btw, Welcome!! >>

And now they accept bitcoins. LOL >>

They do?
    When I was still there we would take Euro currency at 100% of the exchange rate.
    We did have the best bullion inventory in town.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Berk's is a good shop but parking is a pain.
  • Options

<< <i>There's a shop in the shopping center at 159th and Harlem. Haven't been there for awhile and not sure about the bullion mark up but right in your neck of the woods. Near the Dairy Queen. If you were standing in front of the Firestone look to your right. Got one of my best deals ever there years ago. A common date CC GSA that had to be MS66 or MS67. Got it for a few bucks more than the going price at the time and did well at the next show. No deals like that since but he usually gets some interesting stuff there. Coins are in the back. Hummel's and junk like that in the front of the store. >>

Collector's Gallery. I'm familiar with it, been by it a million times. I may stop in there some time just to check it out. Thanks for the responses everyone you've been very helpful.
    Veni, Vidi, Vici
  • Options
    GreeniejrGreeniejr Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭
    Thank you all for the kind words about HJB. We try hard to keep our prices competitive and in line with the market. our location does make parking difficult but we are pretty close to all public transportation. Also, once we have a relationship we let people do drive-by deals where you can lock in the price over the phone when on your way and rather than parking we run the material out to your car and pick up the check. Some of our large buyers really like this because you never have to leave your car. One piece of advice, always tell us what quantity you are looking for because the single piece price is always higher than quantities.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget to mention that people can drive up out front by arrangement and you will unload stuff from the trunk for them. Beats schlepping bags of silver down the street.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.