Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Why are almost all the Danish West Indies coin graded by NGC and not PCGS?

Same goes for pre-1900 Danish coins. Any ideas? Thinking about putting the set together of all Danish West Indies from 1700 to 1900. Be a fun set but it sure seams 98% of the coins are graded by NGC.

Thoughts?

Craig
Coast Guard Craig

Looking for Denmark 1874 20-Kroner. Please offer.

Comments

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    NGC has been grading world coins for a much longer time. Probably 95% of my coins are graded by them.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    like JCM said, NGC has been doing world coins much longer
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At one time the turnaround time for NGC was significantly shorter than PCGS for World coins. I don't know if that's still true today.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NGC has been doing world coins much longer

Really? When did PCGS start grading world coins? I remember handling PCGS-graded Canadian, at least, in the late 80's.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    There are even a few world coins in old green label holders, but apparently they only did it for a short while and then stopped for many years. Perhaps they still did a few for "special" people, but the rest of us couldn't submit until they started up again just a few years ago.
  • Options
    Seems like NGC was cheaper per coin and membership was less then too.
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Really? When did PCGS start grading world coins? I remember handling PCGS-graded Canadian, at least, in the late 80's. >>

He said world coins, Andy, not Canadian imageimage

Craig here are my thoughts: get all yours graded by our hosts and they'll be Top Pops for at least a few more years image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    USCGCraigUSCGCraig Posts: 1,005 ✭✭
    Thanks for the info everyone. I just happen to prefer PCGS grading to NGC. Everyone's thoughts makes sense. Guess I either need to cross coins over or make some new ones.

Does anyone here collect Danish West indies? If so, any really tough pieces? I know the two gold pieces are tough and I suspect any counter-punched pieces as well but I won't be adding those at this time.
    Coast Guard Craig

Looking for Denmark 1874 20-Kroner. Please offer.
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1740 coppers are scarce.
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just happen to prefer PCGS grading to NGC. >>

Is that preference based on experience with U.S. coins or world coins? With U.S. coins, there is a market preference for PCGS over NGC (and there is also plenty of Kool-Aid being blindly swilled on the lightside forum, but that's a different discussion for a different day), but in my experience with world coins, this market preference for PCGS does not exist to the same extent, if at all. In fact, there are areas of world coins where I would have far more confidence in NGC's ability to get it right than PCGS, just due to NGC having far more experience and market share.

Just my 2 centavos...
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    but in my experience with world coins, this market preference for PCGS does not exist to the same extent, if at all.

don't know about that - but hear more than a few folks that only buy our hosts plastic, consider the grade more on target, and merits more money or cache all around.

I personally tend to agree, and am in that camp too - for whatever reasons ...though I do like their holder a lot more since they changed it from that tomb some years back...and yes they definitely grade more world coins and that's a fact...

Just my 2 yen too.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There are even a few world coins in old green label holders, but apparently they only did it for a short while and then stopped for many years. Perhaps they still did a few for "special" people, but the rest of us couldn't submit until they started up again just a few years ago. >>

I seem to remember this. Wasn't there also an issue with registry support for a while?
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Yes, that is correct. Case in point I have an Israel 1948 Prutah in a very lovely OGH and the cert # is all wrong in the Population Report. Everything on the slab label is 100% accurate to the coin inside the slab, but when you enter the cert# online it pulls up a COMPLETELY different coin. I'm talking different country, denomination, date ... it's all messed up.

I complained once to our hosts, requesting they fix the data in their pop report to match my [correct] slab label. I even sent them photos of the slab label. Their solution was to offer me to resubmit the coin (at my own expense, naturally) for a new slab / label. I'd rather keep the OGH since there's absolutely nothing wrong with the coin or slab label. And it's free to do nothing. But I was / am disappointed with their response.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Frankly, I think the coin being in an OGH makes it more collectible, as a PCGS-graded world coin from that era is an anomaly rather than something routinely found. It's "unusual".

Even if it were at no cost, I wouldn't reholder the coin... but then again I almost always lean towards leaving coins in older NGC and PCGS holders rather than reholdering, as they prove the coin's stability, i.e., they won't "turn" (more of an issue for copper and gold than other metals). Not only that, but a grade XX coin in an older holder can frequently be more saleable and garner greater returns than a new holder at the same grade, simply due to gradeflation in the interim. For U.S. coins, I recommend CAC submission over reholdering or crackout in hopes of a grade bump.