Home Precious Metals
Options

"Sealed box of Englehard rounds?"

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭
Over on my old dealer-to-dealer network, a station has beed offered a "sealed box of Englehard rounds." Has anybody ever heard of such a thing? Is there anyway to tell if it is legit without opening it, as you can do with a monster box of silver eagles?
Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• Options

Are they 1oz Prospectors? If so I'd say it's risky, considering all the fakes coming over from China.

Successful BST: VPR, nederveit, RR, Littletweed
  • Options

<< <i>Over on my old dealer-to-dealer network, a station has beed offered a "sealed box of Englehard rounds." Has anybody ever heard of such a thing? Is there anyway to tell if it is legit without opening it, as you can do with a monster box of silver eagles? >>

I know there are original Prospector's tubes but never heard about "mint box".
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They do come in tubes. Tubes most likely come in boxes. I'd contact BASF (now owners of Engelhard) with your question.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    Yes .... The 1 oz. Prospector came in 2 sizes of wood box[s] of 500 [ 20 tubes of 25 ] or 1000. [ 40 tubes of 25. ]

The box was made of 2x4 sides with a plywood bottom and lid. As far as an unopened original box ???

WOW ....I have not seen one offered in over 25 years. I would sure inspect the wood & nails for tampering!!

I still use one of the empties as a tow chain box in my truck!

Keep on Stack'n!!
    Silver Baron
    Silver is the mortar that binds the bricks of loyalty.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We obviously need pics. Were the boxes branded in anyway or just plain ol' wood?
  • Options
    We obviously need pics. Were the boxes branded in anyway or just plain ol' wood?

Just plain ol' wood with a paper sticker on it with the Englehard logo and what was in it.

" Prospector 1 oz X 500 "

No markings on the wood.

Keep on Stack'n!!
    Silver Baron
    Silver is the mortar that binds the bricks of loyalty.
  • Options

<< <i>We obviously need pics. Were the boxes branded in anyway or just plain ol' wood?

Just plain ol' wood with a paper sticker on it with the Englehard logo and what was in it.

" Prospector 1 oz X 500 "

No markings on the wood.

Keep on Stack'n!! >>

That may be it! Thanks! I have passed your information on to the dealer. Will let you know what he says.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So it begs the question, sealed means open and inspected in this case...resealed? Legit verified how? Possible big ticket item if real I would think.
  • Options
    I would only purchase contingent on opening and verifying contents.
  • Options
    Since this isn't something that one might have opened by a TPG, such as say a sealed monster box of 1986 silver eagles, I think I would rather buy opened and inspected rather than buy a pig in a poke.

Several years ago while I was still working in the coin shop, we had somebody come in with seven sealed metal shipping buckets, each with $1,000 in junk 90% in them. The seller's late father had bought them a good 10+ years earlier. These were the kinds of metal buckets with tabs you could hammer down over the lid to prevent tampering during shipping.

Our guy opened one bucket at random and ran the coins through the counter. No problem. He opened another and did the same. No problem. He then told the guy I'll just open the others and then write you a check.

One of the five other buckets contained old pipes and iron of the exact weight of a bag of silver, wrapped in cloth so that it would not rattle. From the conditions of the buckets and the old shipping tags we were fairly sure that the fraud had happened 10+ years earlier. It was even plausible that the dealer who had sold the father the seven buckets had received the dud one sealed, and just shipped it out with a new shipping label without checking it.

Since we opened it in front of the seller there was no question as to what the problem was. We bought the six bags and the guy left shaking his head.
  • Options
    jrt103jrt103 Posts: 419 ✭✭✭
    Holy Cow! Thats a lot of "junk" silver... did someone at the shop have to check all the coins for key dates or better grades/dates?
  • Options

<< <i>Holy Cow! Thats a lot of "junk" silver... did someone at the shop have to check all the coins for key dates or better grades/dates? >>

Didn't have time for that. Just scanned it for clad, culls and Canadian as it went through the counter.