Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Knowledgeable about Lincoln Cents? Does my colorful 1913 have altered surfaces... or?

OK... I'll cut to the chase.

Is my Newp an altered surface coin?

I'm hoping not, even tho the spot is a true 'bummer', to regress to the vernacular of my youth.

I remember when!

Comments

• Options
    jp84jp84 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, I think it has been cleaned and re-toned. The Lincoln head side especially shows a color that you just dont normally see.
  • Options
    I'm not an expert, but this looks like a Matte Proof with the hammered strike and sharp, square edges. If so, you got a steal of a price. Maybe some of the MPL experts can chime in.

Jeff
  • Options
    not sure but could be a proof and the colors I have seen on many Lincolns some of which I attribute to the pics. Did you oil the coin? If you acetone it and it changes color then it was AT if it just cleans you know it is more likely NT. Can you take some pics that are not at an angle and some of the rim and side?
  • Options
    That IS one heckuva strike and square edges too.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks to be a Matte Proof. Looking at my reference book, two die pairs were used in 1913. Die pair one should have a C shaped die scratch to the left of I in IN on obverse. Die pair two look for a
    diagonal die scratch from the rim above the left side of the N in IN on the obverse. Do you have either of those markers?
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A little late to the game but doesn't matter all that much about the color as I think you may have a Matte Proof there!

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed ...send it in as in, maybe an acetone bath first.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Professor, These are very faint die scratches and you'll probably need 10x or greater to pick up on.
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The strike is spectacular. And the fields are relatively untouched except for a small scratch on the obverse. If not PF, an MS that is special. Don't even think twice about submitting it, just do it.

OINK
  • Options
    michiganboymichiganboy Posts: 1,246 ✭✭
    MPL all the way! Score as far as I'm concerned!
    Positive BST transactions:michaeldixon,nibanny,
    type2,CCHunter.
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like an MPL to me. A better shot of the rim would be as the rim's edge touches the field. Should be a sharp 90º angle and it looks like it does.
  • Options
    I agree, it looks like a matte proof....definitely not a naturally toned business strike.
    All the best,

Rob

Successful Trades with: Coincast, MICHAELDIXON

Successful Purchases from: Manorcourtman, Meltdown
  • Options
    I agree with robec after seeing the other pic. Send it in NOW that is quite the find! Take a look at this proof as it looks a lot like ours even in color.

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Find, if it is indeed a MPL...you should run it through the Restoration service...you paid 16 cents so why not, right?

Erik
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<Definitely going to our hosts. ut will they "Genuine" the coin, due to the spot?>>

The spot should not render the coin genuine, but will degrade it 1-2 points. Obviously not "doctored" because of the spot.
  • Options
    MPL. Congrats! I dunno - would PCGS do anything about the spot? NGC? or would there be badness under there part from different color?

Eric
  • Options
    lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭
    I think it has a chance also. If so, you deserve the first "you suck" of the year. I do think that it will gennie as the problem is in the coin and growing. I think they will say environmental damage.
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭

<< <i>MPL. Congrats! I dunno - would PCGS do anything about the spot? NGC? or would there be badness under there part from different color?

Eric >>

Not even worth it to try. The spot is there to stay. Sweet coin for .16c!!
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing find....congratulations...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know about just dropping everything and sending it in...if you do have a Matte Proof Lincoln wouldn't you want to confirm it first before jumping the gun? Either send it or take it to a cent collector who is proficient enough to identify the coin and the possible conservation of the coin if deemed authentic? Sometimes the slower route will yeild better results...take a breath now and weigh your options.

Anyways, you did good cherry picking and you didn't even know you were doing it!
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YA, I think ya got a proof there !!!

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First thing I thought when I opened the thread was "hmmmm....raw proof"...then I looked at your subject line again and didn't see "proof" in it.
    I stick by "proof" and think you should ask Rick Snow his thoughts....and then send in for PCGS to get it in a holder.

Well done!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    CoinflipCoinflip Posts: 842 ✭✭✭
    good my eyes are working cause I thought it looked MAtte
    maybe the restoration guys could chime in
    SMILEFORSOMECHANGE LLC
    RAD#306

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No question about it. That's an MPL. Congrats!

The spot is unfortunate and there's nothing that can be done about it.
    Lance.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file