Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do you do when your ebay buyer refuses to pick up their package?

lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
from the post office

tracking indicates
notice left, that's 6 days ago

I already sent one message

thanks for any responses
LCoopie = Les

Comments

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>from the post office

tracking indicates
    notice left, that's 6 days ago

I already sent one message

thanks for any responses >>

That has happened to me a few times on expensive coins. A call and a message to the buyer was appreciated and effective.

You can get their phone number through the Ebay contact information link on the site map, if the shipping info has not already provided it.
  • Options
    Look at your original sales report and most times it will include a phone number fot the customer. Give them a call as they could be out of town etc... I have had to do this on 3 items last year. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    Why is this a problem? I assume the buyer has paid. What am I missing?

Joe.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why is this a problem? I assume the buyer has paid. What am I missing?

Joe. >>

Sellers like to see the deal consummated and the customer satisfied. Most only follow up on the pricier coins and when one goes unclaimed for six days, the sellers have some concern.

I am currently keeping an eye on a registered package that was mailed last Friday and has not yet found its destination. Registered time had dropped to 3 or 4 days so I began to use it again. Wish now that I used Express mail in the interest of good customer relations.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many things can happen... illness, loss of family member, business trip etc...... contact is usually appreciated..Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Patience...I've had people confronted with life events that take precedence over numismatics.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Joe. >>

Sellers like to see the deal consummated and the customer satisfied. Most only follow up on the pricier coins and when one goes unclaimed for six days, the sellers have some concern.

I am currently keeping an eye on a registered package that was mailed last Friday and has not yet found its destination. Registered time had dropped to 3 or 4 days so I began to use it again. Wish now that I used Express mail in the interest of good customer relations. >>

Could be weather related as well. My Post Office hasn't had any mail delivered to them in 2 days!
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The kids didn't pick up my mail for ten days when I had the stroke. Lot's things can happen. BTW thanks for waiting to one of the members who was selling me a coin then,
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joe. >>

A buyer who has buyer's remorse and a "no returns" situation will use this to have it returned to the seller after it sits in the PO the alloted time. Sometimes it sits there until PO finally realizes they should have returned it to seller earlier. Seller will have to provide refund upon return or face an "item not received" claim that he will then have to jump through hoops to resolve. Ties up seller's item until resolved. Leaves transaction in limbo.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joe. >>

The post office will return it if it isn't claimed.
  • Options
    Just had this happen to me a few weeks ago.

Coin was eventually returned to me. I contacted seller through Ebay messages so everything was documented. He apologized and said he attempted to pick it up from PO without delivery notification and then never made it back before it was returned. Buyer offered to re-pay shipping fees, which I did not re-charge. I re-sent it via Priority Mail thinking buyer would leave STELLAR feedback.

Never heard back and no feedback left.
    BRANDYWINE KRAUSE COIN OF THE YEAR REGISTRY SET

My ebay items
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    I had this happen on an almost $4K package, sent w/signature confirmation. I figured the buyer (used his buyer account), a self proclaimed preacher/god fearing man and the best seller in the universe according to his about the seller page,...would eventually pick it up.

Through the items purchased view (now extinct), I saw that he'd purchased several high dollar items from other sellers (total approx 16K worth in coins....I contacted those sellers to see if there were any problems and 2 of them indicated the same, not picked up yet.

I eventually contacted this guy by phone...no return calls...but I could see he was actively selling so I sent him a BS question about one of his items...He Responded immediately...

So I then hunted down his seller phone number and goodled link to his coin business and he answered...

This guy was a snake. All those high dollar packages...He had them. He got them wo/signing...how, I have no idea.

He engaged me in a song and dance story and he said to me "you listen it's a real shame when you pay for a service (signature confirmation) and they don't follow through. Then he told me the problem with my package was that there was no invoice in it. This was BS, yet it allowed me to confirm that he had it and eventually after he alluded to making a claim of non-receipt stating he'd keep the coins and paypal would take my money...

I brought up that was why I fully insured the package and said I was sure the postal inspector would invite a visit. As far as his claim of no invoice...I packaged the box myself back when I was a nut for packaging. Tape and glue sealed w/invoice and you'd need a crowbar to get that box open so I know it didn't fall out.

I have since blocked this dirt bag.

So just another possibility...it may have been delivered with no signature. My package simply showed: Notice left avail for pickup...
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll try patience, but I suspect BS as I tried using the email address given and lo and behold its not valid

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have a situation such as the type Casman described above, or after reasonable attempts to contact the addressee are unsuccessful and you suspect the addressee is less than trustworthy, fill out a USPS mail recall form and have your local Postmaster fax it as quickly as possible to the branch office in the locality which would handle the delivery to the addressee. Don't wait for the proscribed delivery attempt period to run its course.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    If the PayPal email that is listed is invalid then they would not be able to send or receive money. Did you try calling?
  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭
    the only time i didnt pick up an ebay item at the PO was becuse there was additional fees(double what I already paid) due for the shipping and it was unclear (from the package) who sent it.
    i tried to contact the seller w/o luck.
    until the PO returned it and he was upset i didnt claim it.
    that ended the sale, even though i still wanted it. his S&H costs kept him from sending it again. oh well... i got a full refund.
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I had this happen on an almost $4K package, sent w/signature confirmation. I figured the buyer (used his buyer account), a self proclaimed preacher/god fearing man and the best seller in the universe according to his about the seller page,...would eventually pick it up.

Through the items purchased view (now extinct), I saw that he'd purchased several high dollar items from other sellers (total approx 16K worth in coins....I contacted those sellers to see if there were any problems and 2 of them indicated the same, not picked up yet.

I eventually contacted this guy by phone...no return calls...but I could see he was actively selling so I sent him a BS question about one of his items...He Responded immediately...

So I then hunted down his seller phone number and goodled link to his coin business and he answered...

This guy was a snake. All those high dollar packages...He had them. He got them wo/signing...how, I have no idea.

He engaged me in a song and dance story and he said to me "you listen it's a real shame when you pay for a service (signature confirmation) and they don't follow through. Then he told me the problem with my package was that there was no invoice in it. This was BS, yet it allowed me to confirm that he had it and eventually after he alluded to making a claim of non-receipt stating he'd keep the coins and paypal would take my money...

I brought up that was why I fully insured the package and said I was sure the postal inspector would invite a visit. As far as his claim of no invoice...I packaged the box myself back when I was a nut for packaging. Tape and glue sealed w/invoice and you'd need a crowbar to get that box open so I know it didn't fall out.

So just another possibility...it may have been delivered with no signature. My package simply showed: Notice left avail for pickup... >>
      Have you contacted his local PO? He must have someone inside helping him if he can get so many deliveries without having to sign for them. They might have an interest if the activity is still continuing.
    • Options
      CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I had this happen on an almost $4K package, sent w/signature confirmation. I figured the buyer (used his buyer account), a self proclaimed preacher/god fearing man and the best seller in the universe according to his about the seller page,...would eventually pick it up.

So just another possibility...it may have been delivered with no signature. My package simply showed: Notice left avail for pickup... >>
        Have you contacted his local PO? He must have someone inside helping him if he can get so many deliveries without having to sign for them. They might have an interest if the activity is still continuing. >>

I did not, but I was wondering if he had someone on the outside that he was in cahoots with. He was definately going to try and rip me off. The way I figured out who he was as a buyer beyond the name on the label was the paypal email address for payment when googled polled up to the seller email address included in his seller about me page.

Here's a clip from his about me page and I think there's an admission hiding in it...lol:

"Truth is truth, BS is BS. I'd rather be harshly honest, then accused of duping someone on a $25 coin. After all, it is ebay, and ebay attracts both good and bad, both buyers and sellers."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
      Emoji
      Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
      Drop image/file