Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What amount would you be willing to give to the ANA as a patron donation......?

bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
if it not only it gave you a tax deduction but allowed you to enter all ANA sanctioned shows at dealer setup time?

Just come up with the right figure to make it attractive and add it as a privilege for ANA patrons.

That's how the ANA could make some money.....!!

I will withhold my thoughts on an amount till later........
I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• Options
    It would all depend on how many of their sanctioned shows are attended by each individual. A tierared amount should be set up.
  • Options

<< <i>It would all depend on how many of their sanctioned shows are attended by each individual. A tiered amount should be set up. >>

No tiered....one price gets you in all shows and a tax deduction....what's that worth to you?

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $0-$100.
    I don't go to enough of them and I don't think they are using funds wisely.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>$0-$100.
    I don't go to enough of them and I don't think they are using funds wisely. >>

Please, guys, this post is not about ANA bashing......just a simple question.

Pretend they use the funds wisely and you go to all their shows.....

What would you pay for a ANA patron status for those priviliges?

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A tax deduction only means I've thrown away 65% of my money instead of 100%.

If they still sell early bird badges, that reduces my donation amount to the dollar value over and above the tangible benefit.

After attending several shows as an early bird, the benefit is minimal - unless you enjoy watching dealers do wholesale or get annoyed when you ask a question while they are setting up.

So, in summary - $0. image

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am a Life Member but I need to be convinced all the BS is settled before I ever give them another dime, for any reason.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options

<< <i>A tax deduction only means I've thrown away 65% of my money instead of 100%.

If they still sell early bird badges, that reduces my donation amount to the dollar value over and above the tangible benefit.

After attending several shows as an early bird, the benefit is minimal - unless you enjoy watching dealers do wholesale or get annoyed when you ask a question while they are setting up.

So, in summary - $0. image >>

"thrown away".....image......well ok....but let me clarify....you would get entry at dealer setup....not some later earlybird time.

• Options

<< <i>if it not only it gave you a tax deduction but allowed you to enter all ANA sanctioned shows at dealer setup time? >>

Why is getting in at dealer setup time important to you?
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you would get entry at dealer setup....not some later earlybird time.

Currently, it's pretty much the same time.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>if it not only it gave you a tax deduction but allowed you to enter all ANA sanctioned shows at dealer setup time? >>

Why is getting in at dealer setup time important to you? >>

Important enough that if offered as an added privilage for ANA patron status I would consider paying the price.

• Options
    Why?
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    "I am a Life Member but I need to be convinced all the BS is settled before I ever give them another dime, for any reason" I would never be a member because there is simply too much BS
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't give them a dime. I am not a member, and after the few years I have been here on the forum, I don't see a need joining and even giving them the membership money.
  • Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Pretend they use the funds wisely and you go to all their shows..... >>

And I have a pony...
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Zip. Never have been an ANA member. Enough drama to make Shakespeare blush.
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was an ANA member for several years.I had a coin that I wanted ANAAB to evaluate and ANA membership was required to use the Authentication Bureau services.
    So,I became a member because of one coin.

I got a nice photo certificate of the coin authenticated as genuine,1901-S dime Type 2 reverse so as far as I'm concerned the membership was worth the money.The Numismatist magazine subscription alone is worth the price of membership.

I wouldn't be willing to give the ANA anything as a patron donation.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zero.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being a life member gave me free drama for life. I'd give them a piece of my mind if I was feeling like a donation. image
  • Options
    I am an ANA member and do not get out to shows very often so if there is not a tiered program based on show attendance this option would be useless to most people who only get to a couple shows a year. So 0.00 from me.
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>$0-$100.

What would you pay for a ANA patron status for those priviliges? >>

Bidask, if we're playing pretend here, how valid are the results going to be anyway.

BTW, notice the ANA boys have disappeared from the boards....till the next election.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what I have seen, they've been into the patron enough... image
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I give a couple of thousand every year specifically directed to the Florence Shook School of Education and the YN scholarship fund.

This year, at the YN auction, I outbid Todd, egged on by Charmy, and, for only $900, bought a set of impressions, produced by the curator of the Carson City Mint Museum, from cancelled dies of the 1876-CC 20c. One YN scholarship paid for. . image

I know a lot of talented and conscientious people on the staff and think the work they do should be supported.

As right or wrong or good or bad as one might judge various Board decisions to be, it's hard to be against numismatic education, the Museum, the reference collection and library......
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Important enough that if offered as an added privilage for ANA patron status I would consider paying the price. >>

What a strange question. My answer like the others, zero. I've only been to one ANA show and am unlikely to attend any in the near future.

It is a strange question because the op is a part-time dealer, and has set up at other shows. Why not work out a deal with a bigger dealer and make a "donation" to him/her, might be money, might be time, and get in when that dealer rolls up? Seems a lot easier than the ANA setting up a benefit that maybe 1% of the membership has any interest in, that any ANA show attending dealer can offer without all that paper work.
  • Options
    I would be willing to pay $550 as an ANA patron for the priviliges I outlined.

This is in addition to cost of ANA membership.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Important enough that if offered as an added privilage for ANA patron status I would consider paying the price. >>

What a strange question. My answer like the others, zero. I've only been to one ANA show and am unlikely to attend any in the near future.

It is a strange question because the op is a part-time dealer, and has set up at other shows. Why not work out a deal with a bigger dealer and make a "donation" to him/her, might be money, might be time, and get in when that dealer rolls up? Seems a lot easier than the ANA setting up a benefit that maybe 1% of the membership has any interest in, that any ANA show attending dealer can offer without all that paper work. >>

I can understand you think its a strange question if you have only been to one ANA.

Also, I would rather give my money to a 501c3, in this case the ANA, than to some some dealer for the same privilige.

Its more of a win/win you think?

• Options

<< <i>I would be willing to pay $550 as an ANA patron for the priviliges I outlined.

This is in addition to cost of ANA membership. >>

Back to On Topic . image What were some of the components in your evaluation of value? Value of your time? Loss of opportunity due to the cost of missed advantage? Seems if there's a $10,000-$15,000 budget, one good, not great, buy makes it worthwhile.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I would be willing to pay $550 as an ANA patron for the priviliges I outlined.

This is in addition to cost of ANA membership. >>

Back to On Topic . image What were some of the components in your evaluation of value? Value of your time? Opportunity cost of missed advantage? >>

Evaluation of value? I think that would be good value for someone to take the ANA up on an offer to be a Patron donee with those priviliges....I certainly would.
    As far as "value of my time" and "opportunity cost of missed advantage" if I understand your question ....yes those 2 criteria would be met with the additional privilige as
    both an ANA member and Patron status of getting into the ANA shows at dealer setup.

Its an amenity to the "patron" status that is attractive in my view and a win for the ANA as well !

Look I don't know if I'd even be flying around the country to see every show but the "privilige" makes me much more amenable to make a contribution as a "Patron"....

• Options
    Your case is made. . image
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>$0-$100.

What would you pay for a ANA patron status for those priviliges? >>

I don't care about the politics. Flat out, I don't think they use the funds wisely, as an organization, so it is doubtful I would donate anything to it. $100 tops IFF (if and only if) I saw myself attending more than 2 ANA sponsored shows during that year...which is doubtful.

From many of the replies, I don't think that this would have widespread support and so even setting it up would likely cost more than any benefit would be worth.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file