Home U.S. Coin Forum

Robinson's & Co. Military Buttons Hard Times token.Opinions on grade?

NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
Picked this one up a few weeks ago.

Comments

• I am in no way an expert but I am very intrigued bu CWTs and I have collected ove 50 now. I would say Fine to very fine but it could be to the strike. Wonderful find !
  • LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a weak strike to me. As for it's grade some more edjacated peeps will chime in.
  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks. It has a small amount of luster left. I liked the color
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The obverse is wear not a weak strike and grades in at VF.

It's a HT-153 / Low-76 and below is a uncirculated example showing full details as struck.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
    Wow nice example Broastruck! I also thought it was a weak strike at first but thanks for confirming it wasn't.

<< <i>Nice pickup. This is one of my favorite HTT.
    I agree it looks like a weak strike and grade around a vf. >>

Yup the design is great!
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    XF. It's worn, but not that circulated.
  • LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    Very uneven wear. What caused that?
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow nice example Broastruck! I also thought it was a weak strike at first but thanks for confirming it wasn't. >>

Really sorry coinJP as I shouldn't have commented on this earlier as I was pressed for time. I needed to get of the computer when I did and only glanced at the obverse centers. Now glancing at the word AMERICAN on the obverse and the upper reverse script this was struck through grease. Robinson Jones struck their own store cards and this was a benchmark for the quality they could offer others. Quality control wise off the top of my head I've never seen any error or even a clipped planchet that escaped. It's the first strike through I've seen and although it did circulate briefly, glancing at the sharpness of the reverse date and rims this closer to AU then the VF I mentioned earlier.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice token broad struck.

<< <i>

<< <i>Wow nice example Broastruck! I also thought it was a weak strike at first but thanks for confirming it wasn't. >>

Really sorry coinJP as I shouldn't have commented on this earlier as I was pressed for time. I needed to get of the computer when I did and only glanced at the obverse centers. Now glancing at the word AMERICAN on the obverse and the upper reverse script this was struck through grease. Robinson Jones struck their own store cards and this was a benchmark for the quality they could offer others. Quality control wise off the top of my head I've never seen any error or even a clipped planchet that escaped. It's the first strike through I've seen and although it did circulate briefly, glancing at the sharpness of the reverse date and rims this closer to AU then the VF I mentioned earlier. >>

Oh thats ok! AU was the grade I was thinking. Interesting
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like it actually circulated as money during the hard times which really adds to its history. Really cool pic up.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The technical grade for this piece is probably EF, but the strike is weaker than average from what I remember about this issue. It would probably sell for VF money. I sold my merchant HTTs a long time ago and have concentrated on the political pieces for past twenty years. So I've been out of this market for a while. But as memory services, this piece is nicely preserved, but it was a "below average" product when it was made 180 years ago.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file