Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

OCC - multi-denominational clashing overlays-warning lots of images but fast loading

LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 20, 2020 5:55PM in U.S. Coin Forum
most if not all images from heritage archives and/or pcgs coinfacts

still being populated as of 4-14-15 just wanted to save in case a pc crash or power outage.

after i get to a good stopping point, i will resize the images to conform to the size of my browser window width which is 1400-1500 wide, 1200 or so with my bookmarks open in ff

flying eagle 1c obv vs $20 obv
flying eagle 1c obv vs 50c seated obv
flying eagle 1c rev vs 25c seated rev
shield 5c obv vs indian cent obv
seated 25c rev vs flying eagle 1c rev
two cent rev vs indian 1c obv

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
1857 1c obv 1857 1c obv seated half maybe 1857
1857 25c rev 1857 seated quarter rev flying eagle 1857
1857 1c rev 1857 flying eagle rev seated quarter 1857 maybe
1880 5c obv 5c shield obv indian cent 1880 maybe
1864 2c rev 1864 2c obv 1c indian 1864 maybe
1857 1c obv 1857 flying eagle obv $20 maybe 1857
1868 3CN obv 1868 3CN rev indian cen

imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Comments

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow...great work Lance... thanks for sharing this.... very educational.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there an Indian Cent/ Three Cent Nickel clash? I am not familiar with that one.

I was the one who first diagnosed a multi-denominational clash. I was sitting with Bill Fivaz at the big error club meeting at the 1977 ANA in Atlanta while Bill was showing me his cherrypicks. He had a high grade 1857 F.E. cent with some weird marks on it, and I studied it for a while and told him that those are clash marks from a Seated Liberty die. Without a chance to compare it to anything I wasn't sure if it was the half or the quarter, but we quickly figured that out on the bourse floor afterwards.

After the show I went back to Collectors Clearinghouse and went through the old files. Low grade pieces had been pictured twice over the years, with a request for suggestions as to what had caused it.

Bill then went on to find additional 1857 m-d clashes.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>Is there an Indian Cent/ Three Cent Nickel clash? I am not familiar with that one.TD >>

i have quite a bit more work to do in this thread just yet. i'm currently looking for my full list of the multi-denom clashed dies so as to post a full supply of images of known and possibly speculative ones in a separate section.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    It's not the amount of money you spend.... It's the enjoyment you get spending it..

Successful BST transactions with -Youngcoin15, Ajbauman, Metalsman, carew4me, SportsModerator1, Ahrensdad, bstat1020, piecesofme , bigmarty58, Smittys, tydye,DRG ,Coll3ctor, Ciccio, cajun, Swampboy,Excalibur,lordmarcovan,themaster,RedHerring, many more!!!
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please, please, please continue on with this thread!
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭
    The original images aren't showing for me anymore. A pity, this is a great thread.

I've never heard of an 1880 shield nickel/IHC clash. That would be an extreme rarity given the rarity of the 1880s.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a picture of a clashed Buffalo nickel in my abraded die book. I'll see if I can post it.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean an overlay.
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The original images aren't showing for me anymore. A pity, this is a great thread.

I've never heard of an 1880 shield nickel/IHC clash. That would be an extreme rarity given the rarity of the 1880s. >>

Must be a typo. The Shield nickels with IHC clash marks are dated 1870.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    ok. got it back up and runnin'.

fixed the 1880 typo

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file