Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question about eBay and their DSR system

I got a message from eBay saying I lost my top seller status, the reason being I had five 1's or 2's in my shipping time rating. I ship every item by the next business day, every time, no exceptions, ever. I also use eBay's shipping so the tracking numbers automatically get uploaded for the buyer to see. I was under the impression that if items were shipped in one business day that you would get 5 stars for shipping time, and buyers wouldn't be able to leave a rating. But I just checked it out for a few sellers that have sent me items recently, even though the cards were shipped the same or next day, I have the option of dinging their stars if I choose to do (which I don't) So the question is wasn't that supposed to be part of the deal for DSR's? If you offer free shipping, you get an automatic 5 stars, doesn't the same go for shipping within one day per their rules?
From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
~WalterSobchak

Comments

• Options

<< <i>If you offer free shipping, you get an automatic 5 stars, doesn't the same go for shipping within one day per their rules? >>

It also has to be delivered within 4 days.
  • Options

<< <i>It also has to be delivered within 4 days. >>

Well, that's a problem. I don't know any seller that has control over his package once it leaves his hands and is turned over to the post office.
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options
    For the shipping time DSR:

• Options
    Thanks Maurice. At least I know what I'm up against when I call them.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    If the item isn't delivered within Ebay's calculated delivery time at the time of purchase then the ability to ding you is opened up. Any delay going through the postal system will open you up to getting dinged. Two things occur during the Christmas season. The postal system slows down, and idiot buyers increase. The way Ebay calculates their delivery time isn't always accurate based on your location and holidays. I would speak to somebody at Ebay and explain your situation, insisting you always ship on time and any delay was seasonal. They have all the details of the bad transactions to look at and might do something for you. If they don't ask to speak to somebody else a few times. Continue to be nice if they don't do anything for you or you'll risk your ability to be subjected to more abuse.
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Continue to be nice if they don't do anything for you or you'll risk your ability to be subjected to more abuse. >>

+1

They can take away your ability to run reports or slap monthly selling restrictions on you when you did nothing wrong to warrant such a thing. Trust me.
  • Options
    ManofmoeManofmoe Posts: 264 ✭✭
    I feel like the top rated seller status is just a carrot that Ebay loves to dangle in front of sellers. I was in the same situation recently, shipped every item by the next business day, used Ebay postage/tracking. I still had a few 1's or 2's for shipping time due to slow delivery and lost the rating because of it. Ebay has to love that situation, sellers work to provide super fast handling time and in most cases still don't get to hold on to the discount for any length of time. Buyers are happier and Ebay makes more money.

Mike
  • Options
    This is going to cost me $860 this month, so I am beyond upset about it.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    I have always thought the DSR system is a joke in the first place. Honestly, I have NEVER even looked at a persons DSR's and only even look into the feedback if it is under 97% and even then, it usually can be explained away with one idiot buyer for a low volume seller.

With ebay though, they basically have created an unfair system that they can "say" top sellers get discounts, but then take it away without any particular or consistent reason. Yeah, it sux to have a discount taken away, but at the same time, the discount is something that probably wasnt going to be there in the first place for too long anyway, so just factor that in when selling and it will be the same
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    Looks like DSR's are being eliminated

Starting with the regularly scheduled monthly seller evaluation on August 20, a new measurement, the transaction defect rate, will replace the current four detailed seller rating requirements used to evaluate your seller performance.

Your defect rate is simply the percentage of your transactions over the most recent evaluation period with one or more of the top predictors that a buyer will leave eBay or purchase less, such as an opened eBay Money Back Guarantee case, a return because the item wasn't as described, or negative or neutral feedback.
  • Options
    CollectorAtWorkCollectorAtWork Posts: 859 ✭✭✭
    I usually check at least once a week to see if anyone left me any 1 or 2 ratings on my DSR's. For you, I would run the reports to figure out which buyers left you those low ratings. Then try to get the tracking numbers for those items, and see how long it really took to get the items delivered. If the items got stuck at a location, maybe the buyer does have a beef. Sometimes when I get a shipping time DSR ding, I start checking every package to see if it got delivered. If it looks like one got stuck at a certain location, I message the buyer just w/ a note that it looks like the package got stuck at a location, so that they know that the slower shipping time is the carrier's issue and not mine. Also, I would assume that you are shipping all of your packages first class or priority and not parcel or UPS Ground or FedEx Ground. Basically, if your packages consistently take over a week to be delivered, it's a ding waiting to happen. However, if you are doing everything correctly, then it may just be certain buyers who just like to ding stars. Then, you can appreciate what some posters like Bobby have done, which is to post ebay star dingers to sellers can add these buyers to their block list.
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

The easiest way to save yourself 20% in fees when selling is to sell direct to repeat customers using their email that you received on the paypal receipt email when they purchased their first item from you on ebay.

• Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭

<< <i>The easiest way to save yourself 20% in fees when selling is to sell direct to repeat customers using their email that you received on the paypal receipt email when they purchased their first item from you on ebay. >>

I disagree 100%.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The easiest way to save yourself 20% in fees when selling is to sell direct to repeat customers using their email that you received on the paypal receipt email when they purchased their first item from you on ebay. >>

20%, eh? Did ebay's fees double?