Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question about DDO and DDRs

rkprkp Posts: 434 ✭✭✭
Every so often, someone posts a coin and asks if the doubling that is present is a known DDO or DDR. And often times the responses are no, it is just machine/shelf doubling with no premium.

Why is there no premium to this coin? Is it because they are too common? Too obscure? The known quantity is not 'standardized' (for lack of a better word) and therefore a premium is difficult to ascertain?

Let's say hypothetically there was a coin that possessed a very dramatic and obvious to the naked eye doubling of the obverse (on par with the 1955 cent) and it was agreed by all that this was in fact machine doubling. Let's say further, that there was a known DDO of this coin, and while documented and actively collected, does not have as dramatic a look as my above mentioned hypothetical coin. Should there not be a premium for the hypothetical coin? My guess is that the known DDO would sell for significantly higher due to ye 'ol law of supply and demand, correct?

So I guess the real question is, when you collect varieties, you are searching for coins that were minted from a specific set of dies, not necessarily the "look" of the coin, correct?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭
    Machine doubling is fairly common, because it occurs during the striking process where just the slightest movement of the die or the planchet during the strike can cause doubling. Doubled-dies occur during the hubbing process, where it is much more uncommon for a malfunction to occur.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Machine doubling is more like an error than a variety. This hardly makes it uncollectible but
    this specific error tends to be quite common. Machinew doubling isn't necessarily repeatable.
    Only some coins from a die pair might exhibit the doubling and it will vary from strike to strike.
    Indeed, the machine doubling from completely different dies might appear virtually identical
    making die identification difficult or impossible.

The bottom line really is that there just isn't much interest in machine doubling so even the
    best examples may have no demand.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    machine/shelf doubling is considered a design degrading conditional occurrence like a weak or soft strike by the market. It is seen as a distraction from a perfect coin
  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    Here is an interesting S over horizontal S with what is most likely some dramatic machine doubling.

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or....think of it this way, imperfect dies are human error and machine or strike doubling is just that, a mechanical malfunction. The mint is in the business to produce perfect coins every time. When they make a mistake, it's valuable, when the machine screws up, it's not.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options

<< <i>Or....think of it this way, imperfect dies are human error and machine or strike doubling is just that, a mechanical malfunction. The mint is in the business to produce perfect coins every time. When they make a mistake, it's valuable, when the machine screws up, it's not.

WS >>

Well stated
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here is an interesting S over horizontal S with what is most likely some dramatic machine doubling. >>

if this is the coin i am thinking of, it is said the coin is an s/s over hor s and they say this because of the number of the coins with exact repunching as this one making machine/strike doubling highly unlikely.

another thing that supports it is how similar the hori S is to the underlying vertical S.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file