Home U.S. Coin Forum

Grading Opinions of this 1794 Large Cent please.

Comments

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice, I'll go VF30, maybe a tad higher (more likely) or lower.
    'Commercial' grade estimates, of course!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Cool die cracks! I think vf35 is a shot.
    Are the surfaces lightly porus though?
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VF 30 net to 25 for a couple of rim dings. Unlike Ankur, though, I think the surfaces look fairly nice.

S-44
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Alltheabove76Alltheabove76 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Cool die cracks! I think vf35 is a shot.
    Are the surfaces lightly porus though? >>

No, quite smooth.
  • BustCudsBustCuds Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

Very nice!
    Super color and surfaces, a couple of minor rim dings...PCGS VF30.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great choice! I'm a fan of die cracks.

Looks VF30 to me too.
    Lance.
  • rec78rec78 Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

I grade as "good enough for any collection". VEry nice coin!! VF30
  • coin4salecoin4sale Posts: 375 ✭✭✭
    It is very nice.
    vf30 to xf40
    BT&C

• << <i>image

I grade as "good enough for any collection" >>

With a sticker to boot
  • 410a410a Posts: 1,325
    EF 40 details net vf 25 somewhat porus. Nice coin overall
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Very interesting coin, my immediate reaction was VF 35.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin, but tough to grade, I'm thinking XF40.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    Put me down at VF-35. Nice looking copper.
  • I agree with the 30-35 bunch, the reverse is not struck quite as well as the obverse. Also agree with very light,even porosity although if pic is shrunk to actual size it is hardly noticeable. Maybe retoned??? I see hints of lighter color underneath. All is forgiven though because of what it is.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• I know PCGS has gotten tough on Large Cents over the past year, but I'd be very surprised if it didn't make XF. I think this even has a shot at a 45.

Great '94!
  • How do you distinguish light overall porous surfaces from some kind of planchet weirdness? I would expect the porous quality would be acquired after the coin saw most of its wear, no? This seems a little less "porous" on the lightly worn areas, yes very even overall?

Eric
  • Hello,

I was trying to say I did not think it was porous for the reasons I stated, errant as they may be, but then is it planchet weirdness or? Thanks image Lovely coin!

Eric
  • indeetlibindeetlib Posts: 607 ✭✭
    I think what people are seeing as porosity is just the planchet texture that is natural to the copper blank. This is definitely a nice smooth coin as far as post mint corrosion is concerned.
  • I will agree now and say not porous. Maybe what threw me off was the numerous tiny nicks. But again, at actual size it looks like really nice surfaces.

Trying to remember off the top of my head.......early cents were pure copper right? That makes them softer and more likely to get scratched etc.

Nice double profile too.

Definitely above average for a 1794 cent.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• raysrays Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are frequently variable results upon submission of early copper.

The OP's coin has commercial sharpness of 40-45 in my opinion.

Compare this PCGS VF35 1794 large cent (and, for extra credit, it's an S-65, which affects the grade how?):

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file