Home U.S. Coin Forum

I bought this Mercury strictly for the color...........

What are your thoughts/opinions? (Seller's Pics)

imageimage

Comments

• KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it!

Very Subtle Toning.
    Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does it POP when seen with light at an angle rather than straight on?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Looks like dip residue toning or maybe when they washed the planchets but I would guess 1990-2005 dip
  • looks like that thin oil slick on water. I like the subtle coloration. If you like it that is what matters and you are good at coins so you probably paid less than $100.00 for it.
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I have seen a number of those with similar color. I like it!

Here is an MS67 version.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it for the quality (grade/CAC).....but would pass on it due to the tarnish. Cheers, RickO
  • luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin. I am a fool for the toners. And yours is a micro S to boot !!! I like !!!!
  • AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I like it!

Very Subtle Toning. >>

I'll second that.

Mike
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another Merc thread is a good thread. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • morbidstevemorbidsteve Posts: 571 ✭✭✭
    I think it looks awesome. I have some with color but nothing near that grade.

Steve
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the look and there appears to luster galore too.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why strictly for color

It's a very nice coin overall IMO
    LCoopie = Les
  • DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    I like the coin and it is VERY difficult to photograph small coins with toning. Once you blow them up to 10x their size (or more) then things that are not apparent to the naked eye become distractions, not to mention the difficulty of the average coin photographer getting the lighting right and capturing the lustre. Probably MUCH nicer in person... but that is why coins really need to be seen in person to adequately comment or judge.

Judging coins via a picture is one of the favorite hobbies of this forum, but some of the complexities make commenting accurately a very tricky proposition. Great to see another merc thread

Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the toning, looks very natural.image
  • brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like dip residue toning or maybe when they washed the planchets but I would guess 1990-2005 dip >>

Such a wild-a$$ guess is just ludicrous. Unless you owned the coin at that time and were the person doing the dip, you can't possibly "guess" any such thing. image
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
  • SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭✭
    I like the color and the strike very much. The bands are real nice for a 45. Great coin imo. image
  • DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    It looks like it would be really bright in hand. Good pickup.

-D
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks good. I don't think it has been dipped. Toning after a badly rinsed dipping is usually blotchy and unattractive.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love it! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file