Home U.S. Coin Forum

Toned "NICKEL" got any?.........

OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
3 cent, 5 cent, Shields, Libertys, Buffs, Jeffs, heck Mod Roosies, Washingtons, Kennedys, Ikes ?

I appolagise for my lack of pic skills, or I'd show you a 55 Jeff thats not album toned, but is light
greenish, rosey with a hint of blue and I was just wondering how it acheived the color. Thanks

Steve
Promote the Hobby

Comments

• spy88spy88 Posts: 764 ✭✭
    Even if you had a picture to post, it would be near impossible to give you a definitive reason
    for the toning. Too many factors behind why a coin tones or what caused it. JMO
    Everything starts and everything stops at precisely the right time for precisely the right reason.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have none, however, much would depend on the year (war nickel with silver etc) and storage environment.... tarnish can be caused by so many variables... temperature, chemicals, humidity, light, no light etc etc..... Cheers, RickO
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a dime i nissed on TT

imageimage

I think the only one book tone is the Mer the others wher in flips.

Hoard the keys.
  • bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭
    It varies wildly. I had a bunch of 1962-1964 proof sets I cut up(to put into rolls) a while back and had some beautiful blueish-purple nickles. I did some more yesterday, and almost all the nickles had a black tarnish on them. They were rather ugly.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would ask how you determined it isn't album toned??
  • ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These were toned in a plastic holder. All but one got graded by PCGS (that one had a scrape), grades were from 65 to 67:

Toned War Nickels
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would ask how you determined it isn't album toned?? >>

I should say I don't think its album toned, after all theres thirty years of storage I can't account for,
    but for the last 28 years its sat in a standard 2X2 in a vinyl page, and there was some light color
    to it when I bought it but it seams way more vibrant now than when I looked at it last, and that
    was maybe ten years ago, but there are many other years I have and are stored the same way
    in the same book that are the same as I remember them.......?, why the 55 and not the 41 or 42
    or 52, 53, 54...........now the 56 on the other hand was a blast white as I recall and it shows a
    light electric bluish/purplish light and kinda neat......again all proofs stored in 2x2's in a vinyl page
    that holds 20 2x2's.........just wunnering image

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh and Ricc..........have I ever told you thats a nice 42 image

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • CyStaterCyStater Posts: 681 ✭✭✭
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I would ask how you determined it isn't album toned?? >>

I should say I don't think its album toned, after all theres thirty years of storage I can't account for,
    but for the last 28 years its sat in a standard 2X2 in a vinyl page, and there was some light color
    to it when I bought it but it seams way more vibrant now than when I looked at it last, and that
    was maybe ten years ago, but there are many other years I have and are stored the same way
    in the same book that are the same as I remember them.......?, why the 55 and not the 41 or 42
    or 52, 53, 54...........now the 56 on the other hand was a blast white as I recall and it shows a
    light electric bluish/purplish light and kinda neat......again all proofs stored in 2x2's in a vinyl page
    that holds 20 2x2's.........just wunnering image

Steve >>

Because I'm no expert, here's my theory. Coins toned due to human error in not only how they monitored the annealing process of the planchets but how the coins were stored by collectors over the years. If the coins were overheated/overcooked, this would bring more copper to the surface of the planchets. Too much copper would literally turn the coins to black.
    The 1955 you have appears to have been subjected to some adverse environment after you pulled the coin from the album. And the 1955 year falls into the era of the later 1950's to early 1960's, for nickels anyway, that suffered from being overheated.
    Other denominations didn't suffer as much due to having a lesser degree of the element of nickel in the planchets making them softer and limited annealing. Although the metal content remained the same for many years for the five centers, the earlier years didn't tone as well for Buffalo and V nickels.
    The use of a propane torch can push more copper to the surface on coins. It's just a matter of how they are stored afterwards and of course, for the purpose of, eventually being sold on the market.

Leo

This subject has come up a number of times and the key word to search would be, "annealing".

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there was some light color
    in the same book that are the same as I remember them.......?

logic would presume that when the coin in question was placed in the album by you it still had contaminants on the surfaces that have continued to react with the metal.
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

• My Favorite

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a couple that are more colorfull than this, but this one is the only Jeff nickel I have a pic of.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭
    This Buff has just enough color to it for me. image

Mike
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a sweet example.

<< <i>This Buff has just enough color to it for me. image

Mike >>

GORGEOUS BUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, have a few:

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about this popular series?

Clashes, cuds, toning..... fun little coin.

• robecrobec Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful display of Nickels WL!image

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A toned "double nickel" - a pattern struck in nickel in 1868, using the old large cent dies:

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Ed62Ed62 Posts: 857 ✭✭
    Ed
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I way overpaid for this coin. And boy am I glad I had the chance to!

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Lehigh96Lehigh96 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭
    Some of my favorites:

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://stores.ebay.com/Lehigh-Coins">LEHIGH COINS on E-Bay
  • ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I made this one an MS63 and sold it to a board member.

• Hello,

I haven't posted a pic of a coin 6 years or so. I can't compete with anything in this thread but here are some of the toned Proofs I collected. No one liked them when I showed them here back then. I liked them - even the half. That Walker is Pr66 (I think almost all the set was 66) and totally original - so much so I could not really deal with the fairy dust all over the thing. That color is accurate.
    The dimes I really enjoyed. They were in order Pr 64, Pr63, Pr65 and Pr67 I think.

I hope you like them image

These were all scans made ages ago with an Epson. Wish I had proper photographs. The 1906 is Benson.

Eric
  • jomjom Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

jom
  • rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
    PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com
  • JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 824 ✭✭✭✭✭

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

• ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image

jom >>

I was the underbidder on this coin almost 10 years ago. image

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

What an incredible strike!

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    <~~~~~ Most nuclear 2 sided '57 I've ever seen.
    "It is what it is."
  • rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com
  • jomjom Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> >>

I was the underbidder on this coin almost 10 years ago. image >>

Oh...so it was YOUR fault I paid so much. Grrrr... lol

BTW, it was actually 12 years ago believe it or not. Where did the time go?

jom
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a few toned "nickels";

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file