Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

All it takes is 3 guys to take a card from $65 to over $2,000

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful card! Perfect example of why there should be a 9.5.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    TRIAPD
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a lot of money.
    Mike
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    That's a lot of nice Willie Mays cards.
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    The registry is a powerful drug.
  • Options

<< <i>The registry is a powerful drug. >>

This line never gets old. Isn't it time PSA made this the tag line for the registry page? Or just went ahead and out it on a members t-shirt?
  • Options
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    a $4 card
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Usual silliness for a common, I'd take this or any other and be 99% as happy for less than 0.01% of the price.

The price of sharp corners
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    Only takes 2 guys.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

<< <i>Usual silliness for a common, I'd take this or any other and be 99% as happy for less than 0.01% of the price.

The price of sharp corners >>

But anyone can own that. High grade cardsvare like Lamborghinis it's a status symbol
  • Options

<< <i>The registry is a powerful drug. >>

There are collectors, and then there are completely insane graded card collectors.

Nothing in the graded card world surprises me any more, but you do seem to see this
    crazay nutjob behavior more often.

There a number of collectors with a lot more money than brains and who are we
    to question mentally unstable people?
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the PSA 10 collector he didn't exist.

DaveB in St.Louis
  • Options
    purduepetepurduepete Posts: 790 ✭✭✭
    Those guys aren't card collectors...they're flip collectors.
    Tom

Collecting: Topps 1952-79, Bowman 1952-55, OPC 1965-71, and Pre-War White Sox cards
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are wealthy enough to drop a few K on dinner for 4, what's a couple grand to be top dog on the set registry? I think we apply our own budgetary perspective to these purchases, but you can't have that mindset when you are talking about deep-pocketed collectors. Of course, if it's a collector who's charging the purchase just to impress, that's a completely different story..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    Low pop (six 9s) of a popular set - seems about right for this to escalate into a bidding war. As far as it being 'silliness' or 'crazay nutjob behavior' isn't it the height of hypocrisy for one collector to criticize another's spending habits? There's no shortage of people who would deem any baseball card spending to be 'silliness' or 'crazay nutjob behavior'. But if a couple of wealthy individuals want to bid each other up to (what to a lot of people) seems excessive, who are we to criticize?

Good on the seller for cashing in, though.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was outbid years ago on a psa 10 1963 Killebrew card. Went for over $500.00. I was amazed at how much someone was willing to pay for a card that "booked" for $125.00.

Also seems ridiculous to criticize others collecting choices. The winner has one of the finest examples of this particular card in existence, registry or not. I could never see spending big money on unopened product that might turn out to be a pack/box of miscut cards.

To each is own!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Nice hammer price!
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    Funny how nobody criticized Dmitri Young for his spending habits....
    You can have the Lamborghini.. Give me cards..
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I wonder what some of the remarks here would have been if they were the seller?

Good for you.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Those guys aren't card collectors...they're flip collectors. >>

A lot of these low pop commons go for big money because the buyers have already tried relentlessly on their own to hit one and have failed.

I too agree that some of these prices appear silly at times but price is all relative. What might appear expensive to me is cheap to someone else.

This past weekend we were out with some friends and one of the couples net worth is 50 times my wife and I's. That means when I spend $1,000 it is like them spending $20.

The size of one's wallet has nothing to do with if they are a true card collector. Just because your rich doesn't take away the passion. Quite frankly some of the wealthy collectors have even more passion then most as a lot of the cards everyone wants are attainable.

I personally have had a hand full cards where if I had just paid the silly price and been done with it I would have been better of financially.

The trading card market is a huge market and there is something for everyone and I personally do my best not to place judgment on what someone collects. If it makes you happy that is all that matters.

Are these low pop commons good investments? In many cases no if you only look at the financial aspect but to someone who has enough money to buy anything sometimes it is the small things like a card that is almost impossible to find regardless of the size of your wallet that makes them happy. So be it.

Quite frankly I think people should be thrilled when they see this because you never know you might be the one to come across that beautiful raw copy and get it graded and hit the jackpot.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Those guys aren't card collectors...they're flip collectors. >>

A lot of these low pop commons go for big money because the buyers have already tried relentlessly on their own to hit one and have failed.

I too agree that some of these prices appear silly at times but price is all relative. What might appear expensive to me is cheap to someone else.

This past weekend we were out with some friends and one of the couples net worth is 50 times my wife and I's. That means when I spend $1,000 it is like them spending $20.

The size of one's wallet has nothing to do with if they are a true card collector. Just because your rich doesn't take away the passion. Quite frankly some of the wealthy collectors have even more passion then most as a lot of the cards everyone wants are attainable.

I personally have had a hand full cards where if I had just paid the silly price and been done with it I would have been better of financially.

The trading card market is a huge market and there is something for everyone and I personally do my best not to place judgment on what someone collects. If it makes you happy that is all that matters.

Are these low pop commons good investments? In many cases no if you only look at the financial aspect but to someone who has enough money to buy anything sometimes it is the small things like a card that is almost impossible to find regardless of the size of your wallet that makes them happy. So be it.

Quite frankly I think people should be thrilled when they see this because you never know you might be the one to come across that beautiful raw copy and get it graded and hit the jackpot. >>

Very well said.

I would also add that there are many collectors with deep pockets that enjoy the hobby like the poor guys do .
    They have huge amounts of cash, but would much rather have raw cards, because it reminds them of touching and holding them
    like when they were kids. Kind of like the way Carter Conlon kept his collection all those years.

• Options

<< <i>I wonder what some of the remarks here would have been if they were the seller?image >>

Good point.

The seller is a genius and a savvy businessman and I envy his able to squeeze the money out the
    deep-pocket collectors or flippers. Although a flipper is gonna have a hard time turning this one
    around for a decent return IMHO.

I'm not a set collector myself -- so a low-pop common card for me is just a common that in 20
    years will have many more high-grade examples in the pop report.

But actually all my PSA cards are for sale. Every one of them. Because I can get more for them
    than they're worth.

I collect SGC and raw cards but I do like to make money out of nothing as much
    as the next guy does -- to fund my other card purchases for my PC.

Thank you PSA.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the PSA 10 collector he didn't exist.

DaveB in St.Louis