Home Sports Talk
Options

Never-Before-Seen Color Footage Of 1965 Baseball Is Incredibly Cool

Very cool

"This is an absolute treat for baseball fans and television history buffs. It's the last three innings of Reds pitcher Jim Maloney's 10-inning no-hitter on Aug. 19, 1965 at Wrigley Field."

Comments

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. Like having a time machine. Pete Rose, Billy Williams, Ernie Banks, Ron Santo... thanks for posting the link.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loved it . Thanks.
    Gotta run now and get a case of Hamms.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    The most amazing thing I took away from this was the little tidbit that, before the 10th inning, Maloney had walked 10(!!!) batters and had thrown 173 (!!!!!!!) pitches.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Classic stuff! Notice, too, how quickly the pitcher delivers the ball to the plate!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another interesting thing I noticed...in the 8th when Landrum sacrifices Jackson to second and Clemens comes to the plate, he holds the catcher's facemask until the catcher returns from the mound. That is something you wouldn't see happen today!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Few thoughts:

Absolutely loved batters strolling to the plate au naturel.

If you were a relief pitcher back in those days, you had a mighty sweet gig.

Cardenas coming off of his back foot a la Clemente. (45:30)

Maloney must have been dealing that season.

(14:39) - "Yo, what is going on?!?"...............(58:29) - "I'm rich, biotches!!"

I would pay top dollar for a Hamm's.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Classic stuff! Notice, too, how quickly the pitcher delivers the ball to the plate! >>

Go watch Don Larsen's perfect game sometime. The pace of play is incredibly fast. Contrast that with a lot of the playoff games this year where it seemed like hitters were afraid to get in the box and pitchers seemed terrified to throw a pitch.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To OP: thanks so much for posting this.
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Really fun to watch, thank you. I noticed with no batting gloves many players grabbing chalk and dirt over and over again. Very interesting. Also, the batters on deck warmed up with two bats almost until they got into the batters box. Awesome stuff, thanks. Doug
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    I noticed too, that the batter would pick up the catcher's mask (and even dust it off!) and hold it until the catcher finished the mound conference. That was called sportsmanship back in the day, something that rarely occurs in today's game.