Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Question about my order/submission

Hi there,

I hope here is the right place for my question.

my order #20750576 submission#220890 been received on 21Oct,2013 by PCGS,
As I am using Express Service (5 days grading process), but until now no any progress at all for the grading result.

So if Express Service base on 5 working days, why still not yet come out the result?
As I paid for the service charge wanna get back the grading result asap, otherwise i wont submit with that service level.

So is there any PCGS staff here can check for me what is the status now actually?

many thanks/Davis.

Comments

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Well, the time is really just an estimate, it sometimes takes a little longer. I think most of the TPG's don't start counting the days until they receive the package and go through their verification process (not necessarily the day they get the package in the mail) which can take several days in itself if they are really busy. It could also be they just haven't updated the information.
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The estimate for world express is currently listed as 10 days. You probably have a few more days before the grades will post.

While you're waiting, let's discuss what you submitted. World coins I assume?
  • Options
    China Silver Coin

i though it take 5 days for it, as I am urgent to know the result, otherwise who will use expensive service level for those grading?
    my feeling like be cheated, if it cannot promise for 5 days for that service, why still have a turnaround time column there?

thanks/Davis.
  • Options
    estimated time

here above stated 5 days for express service level, instead of 10 days I believed.
  • Options
    Here it shows 10 day estimated turnaround for world and 6 days for US:

http://www.pcgs.com/Statistics/
  • Options
    my GODNESS! it didnt reflect on their service fees table at all! on their fees table stated 5 working days!
    it seems cheating us! shxx! it is really misleading users!

IF it cannot comply with their SLV, why said so ...

compared with regular level, it take 15 days, express take 5 days, and the price are double!
    but now estimated regular also 15 days, express one takes 10 days! OMG!

I dont need any promise, but once if you are promise, you should do it!

any PCGS staff can explain it fare or not for someone(me) use express level??

• Options
    The problem is that you looked at the US standards table assuming it would be the same turnaround time for world coins.
  • Options
    I believed the service fees as a overall for both world & US coins, am i correct?
    under that fees's table, it is only 1 column which stated a turnaround time for each service level, but another table shown which now estimated time, it is not misleading us?

there are 1 table for service fees charge ( as well as turnaround time) and 1 other table which is actual statistic which are different at all for the turnaround time, that is what i meant!
  • Options
    I always thought there was a higher fee charged for non-US coins.
    I just looked at the form, and you're correct. I can definitely see your issue, since the submission form doesn't differentiate. I would contact the graders and ask for a refund or some sort of credit.
  • Options
    you would ask grader for refund? do you meant if you are me? image

btw, i forgot either NGC or PMG, they have 2 columns from the service fees table which indicate both target turnaround & estimated one currently, so in that case, it is more easy for user have some idea about their turnaround time they choose!
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Have you talked with customer service in the PCGS Asia office? They, I'm sure, can explain the service you bought.
    Paul
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Estimated means estimated and is different for US coins and World coins. I'll never use Express service unless it was for a very, very expensive coin.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    sure i have make a call to asia hk office already, they have no idea at all...haha..
    it is actually a misleading for all of users like my case.

im submit express fees ($65) and fees table stated it take 5 days turnaround,
    then it is found another table which is a statistic about turnaround time at the moment,
    if so, it shouldn't stay the turnaround time under fees's table, as it is NOT MATCH for the real turnaround actually!
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Estimated means estimated and is different for US coins and World coins. I'll never use Express service unless it was for a very, very expensive coin. >>

Or use the service during a show, again for an expensive coin that you want to leave with after the show.

If you submitted it to their Hong Kong office, you can throw these estimates out the window. It is the same graders who grade world coins in the US, in Paris, in Hong Kong and in Beijing. Can you imagine their jet lag? Apparently it's very tough to find graders up to their standards, because it's not as if they haven't looked around to hire some more.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Estimated means estimated and is different for US coins and World coins. I'll never use Express service unless it was for a very, very expensive coin. >>

Or use the service during a show, again for an expensive coin that you want to leave with after the show.

If you submitted it to their Hong Kong office, you can throw these estimates out the window. It is the same graders who grade world coins in the US, in Paris, in Hong Kong and in Beijing. Can you imagine their jet lag? Apparently it's very tough to find graders up to their standards, because it's not as if they haven't looked around to hire some more. >>

I believed it is not a easy job for those grader, as there will be LOT of users around the world go for their submission.
    for hk office, each month they will have 2 cutoff time for coin submission ( ie 1st and mid of each month ),
    that issue Im realized for it, the MAIN point is...once US received my order ( ie 21Oct,2013 ), I supposed it will take around
    5 working days to finish it, no matter it is a jet jag, a tough job, etc etc, it is their SLA ( Service Level Agreement ), otherwise who will still use their service, but just all of us have no more choose...image
  • Options

<< <i>once US received my order ( ie 21Oct,2013 ), I supposed it will take around
    5 working days to finish it, no matter it is a jet jag, a tough job, etc etc, it is their SLA ( Service Level Agreement ), otherwise who will still use their service, but just all of us have no more choose...image >>

Yes we do have a choice. It's called NGC or ATS on these boards (Across The Street, they have their own forums) and several members post amazing coins in NGC holders who is still ahead of PCGS in total number of world coins graded. NGC just opened an office in Germany, following PCGS' success in Paris and I assume, that it's only a question of time until they open their own Asian office.

I'm not saying that you should choose NGC or not. I'm just saying that there is a choice,of an equally serious grading service, that has existed for years for US collectors.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    nexttime i think i wont submit to HK office anymore, mail myself and just follow US office turnaround time according with the fees charged.
  • Options
    it comes out the final result, BUT disappointed at all. such a great condition coin, only with MS62?
    i expected at least 63+

China-Kiangnan-MS62
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does look the bit of a 63 or maybe 64.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    yes i expected at least 63+ or even up!

just now im sent an email to HK office ask forward to US to see if they can re-consider/regrade again or anyhow appeal ?

headache at all, in worst case, i m considering whether take re-consideration service or re-grade or crack the box and re-submit again.

anyone advise?

thanks/Davis.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I can't advise on the regrade/etc but man that is a nice looking 62.
  • Options

Found the Grade's column are changed to "No grade available", I DO hope PCGS have to re-consider re-grade my coin!
    and hopefully come out with 63+..image hope have good news soon!
  • Options
    it sad!, it seems same result MS62 after re-consideration!
  • Options
    Sorry. The sooner you take it in and leave it behind you, the better. After all there might have truly been a solid reason for the 62, we tempt to grade our coins much less conservative than other collectors' coins, you know?
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Hi SYRACUSIAN

Sorry, May you explain more clear what do you meant? actually I have no idea at all what do you meant...image

just wondering are you work in US office as a coin's grader? or can you explain their approach for grading issue?

the coins i have submitted with MS62, it is totally out of my expectation, honestly!

and NOW i m seeking NGC to see if their CrossOver Service will be help for me or not *still waiting their feedback.
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    You have a beautiful coin that is in a top tier PCGS holder at MS-62. Why stress over 1 grade point? Enjoy the coin and achievement of getting it into a PCGS holder, and look forward to the next challenge. I do not see the point in trying to cross it to NGC for a point or two. Just my humble opinion, but you seem to be investing alot of emotion in this one coin. Perhaps put it aside, buy some other pieces in similar grades in PCGS holders, and then revisit the coin once you have more basis for comparison to determine if it has merit for a better grade. Maybe perspective and some distance is needed for a little bit. image
  • Options

<< <i>You have a beautiful coin that is in a top tier PCGS holder at MS-62. Why stress over 1 grade point? Enjoy the coin and achievement of getting it into a PCGS holder, and look forward to the next challenge. I do not see the point in trying to cross it to NGC for a point or two. Just my humble opinion, but you seem to be investing alot of emotion in this one coin. Perhaps put it aside, buy some other pieces in similar grades in PCGS holders, and then revisit the coin once you have more basis for comparison to determine if it has merit for a better grade. Maybe perspective and some distance is needed for a little bit. image >>

Hi, it is not about too much emotion on it...it is about there are different point of view for a coin's grade! of cause I knew it is all about human factor included for any grader when grade a coin. I just dont agree it and would like to seek anyhow to appeal it, i think it is normal for my action.

Above it another same coin, guess what? it is time ago when 1st time submit back with Authenticity Unverifiable, then a while later, send again, and come with MS63...that coin I just expected at least 63+, so you get the main point? different grader will be different grade or even tell your coin are Authenticity Unverifiable??? haha...what kind of standard for such a world-wide grading company???

Welcome at all for any PCGS grader comment for it!
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Coin grading is subjective… it always has been and always will be. It is both an art and a science. I’ve been in the hobby long enough to empathize with the position graders are in. You will not find this explicitly explained in a grading contract, but you must realize that grades are relative to “like” populations, meaning that part of the technical grade is the coin’s relative appeal to its immediate peers (same mint, country, grade, etc). You don’t evaluate a MS-62 taler from 1750 in the same manner as you evaluate a MS-62 Chinese crown from the early 1900s. What this tells me is the relative standard of strikes for your piece must be quite high and thus the coin you had graded is based on its comparable technical merits. That is just my opinion. Grading is a human based activity and it is influenced by dozens of nuanced criteria beyond luster and the number of contact marks. You can argue all you want, but that is the reality of the industry. That multi-dimensional ability to evaluate coins is why PCGS is at the pinnacle of the grading companies. It takes expertise, experience, and consistency.

With that said, if you want to play the grading game, jump right in. If you submit 5 times, the odds are in your favor that you will eventually get the grade you seek. Maybe you will ever get a 64. People play that game with US coins every day. Go for it and be patient as you go through each iteration and you will get to where you want to be.
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

You seem to have a solid reason to be frustrated but might be putting too much emotion into this here as mentioned already above....

Might I ask..did you pay extra to have this piece reconsidered? or regraded?

• Options
    WalterWalter Posts: 145 ✭✭
    Why don't you post a photo of the coin? If PCGS graded it twice at MS62 there's probably a good reason.
  • Options
    1) i DONT think PCGS are so called consistence one, my MS63's case are told exactly. how it consistence? haha

2) Last coin once get the result of 62, i make a call to HK office and they told better send an email to them ( they will forward to US ) and see how to handle it, and their feedback is pretty sure it is 62!

3) yes! the only way if i dont agree their graded 62. I have to crack the holder and re-submit again and again...during a grading process, i believed it is consider of LOT of factors, ie that 2 grader overwork or not...are they happy or not that grading day, etc etc, all will affect the outcome result for sure..haha..