Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

World Series Contest--All Unopened Prizes

we need to spice this board up a bit. So in honor of my beloved Red Sox appearance in the World Series I offer to those who wish to participate the following contest:

1st the Rules:

1. Only 1 prize will be awarded depending on the # of Qs correctly answered

2. All entries must be posted on this thread no later than the bottom of the 5th inning in the 3rd game --tonite--
I will post a comment at that time which will void any other entries
3. The winner will be required to correctly predict the answer to each of the 5 Qs below--if he does--he gets 1st prize
4. If no 1st prize is awarded, the winner will be the person who answers 4 Qs correctly--he would get the 2nd prize
3. If no 2nd prize, the winner will get the 3rd prize for 3 correctly answered Qs
4. So on down to the 4th and 5th prizes awarded.
5. If there is a tie--each winners name will be put into a hat the winner will be drawn by me
6. Prizes awarded at end of WS--obviously
7. 1 entry per person and it may NOT be edited once posted--so choose carefully

The Prizes!!

1st Prize-- 1970 Topps BB Wax Pack--PSA-7 4th series AND 1970 Topps FB Wax Pack--PSA-8--

2nd Prize--1977 BB Cello Pack(Brett Brothers Top) AND 1979 BB Cello-Murray Top AND '84 BB Cello Box

3rd Prize--Pair of Bash Brothers Unopened Packs--'86 Fleer Canseco Top PSA-9 AND 1987 Topps Cello McGwire Top PSA-10 And 1982 Topps Cello Lee Smith Top PSA-8

4th Prize--!985 Topps Rack Gwynn top--1985 Fleer Rack Clemens Top--and something else of my choice

5th Prize--Donruss Fun Bag and something else of my choice

Here are the Qs:

1. Name the winner of the World Series AND How many games will it go?

2. Name the WS MVP

3. What will be the total number or runs scored by BOTH teams--you can be within 3 over or under

4. Name the winning pitcher for Games 3, 4, 5, and 6--you must name 3 of the 4

5. Calculate the total number FOR BOTH TEAMS of: HRs, RBI, Runs and Strikeouts--for the entire series --you can be within 3

I tried to make this attainable. I mean the 1st prize is HUGE I am thinking--so 5 will take some work.

I will post pictures as soon as I can get them loaded--but wanted to start the contest now. Good Luck to all.

Finally--Go Sox!!!!!!!

[/URL]">clemens and

Comments

• DoctorKDoctorK Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Here are the Qs:

1. Name the winner of the World Series AND How many games will it go? BOSTON--6 Games

2. Name the WS MVP--David Ortiz

3. What will be the total number or runs scored by BOTH teams--you can be within 3 over or under---42

4. Name the winning pitcher for Games 3, 4, 5, and 6--you must name 3 of the 4----Kelly, Bucholz, Lester, Lackey

5. Calculate the total number FOR BOTH TEAMS of: HRs, RBI, Runs and Strikeouts--for the entire series --you can be within 3--200

I tried to make this attainable. I mean the 1st prize is HUGE I am thinking--so 5 will take some work.

I will post pictures as soon as I can get them loaded--but wanted to start the contest now. Good Luck to all.

Finally--Go Sox!!!!!!! >>

TextText
  • belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    Great game:

1. Red Sox in 7
    2. David Ortiz
    3. 45
    4. Kelly, Bucholz, Wainwright, Lackey
    5. 149
    "Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    **************************************************FIRST PRIZE**************************************************

**************************************************SECOND PRIZE**************************************************

**************************************************THIRD PRIZE**************************************************

**************************************************FOURTH PRIZE**************************************************
    PLUS ANOTHER SPECIAL PRIZE THAT MANNY WILL ADD.

**************************************************FIFTH PRIZE**************************************************
    Donruss Funbag

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    Douglas--you are dangerous indeed!!!!!!!!

and NO--that is not the 5th prize----image
  • GRGR Posts: 550 ✭✭
    1.) Cardinals, In 6 games
    2.) Pete Kozma
    3.) 39
    4.) Kelly, Bucholtz, Wainwright, Wacha
    5.) 169
    Nathan Wagner
  • totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 924 ✭✭✭
    1. Name the winner of the World Series AND How many games will it go? Sox in 6.

2. Name the WS MVP Johnny Lester

3. What will be the total number or runs scored by BOTH teams--you can be within 3 over or under: 58 Total runs scored

4. Name the winning pitcher for Games 3, 4, 5, and 6--you must name 3 of the 4: Peavy, Martinez, Lester, Uehara

5. Calculate the total number FOR BOTH TEAMS of: HRs, RBI, Runs and Strikeouts--for the entire series --you can be within 3: 176
  • BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Red Sox in 6
    2. David Ortiz
    3. 47 Runs
    4. Tazawa, Bucholtz, Wainwright & Workman
    5. 151

Thanks again
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
    THANKS FOR THE CONTEST MANNY.

OK, I was rooting for the Cardinals (not really a fan of either team ... but I am rooting for Beltran), but since MANNY put up such and awesome contest, I'm going to root for his SAWKS.

1. Name the winner of the World Series AND How many games will it go? RED SAWKS IN SEVEN

2. Name the WS MVP. PAPI ORTIZ

3. What will be the total number of runs scored by BOTH teams--you can be within 3 over or under. FIFTY-TW0

4. Name the winning pitcher for Games 3, 4, 5, and 6--you must name 3 of the 4. I'LL TAKE SECOND PRIZE ... I'M NOT EVEN GOING TO TRY TO GUESS

5. Calculate the total number FOR BOTH TEAMS of: HRs, RBI, Runs and Strikeouts--for the entire series --you can be within 3. TWO HUNDRED TWENTY SEVEN
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    cool, a contest. thank you.

1. red sox
    2. pedroia
    3. 50
    4. peavey, bucholz, wainright, lackey
    5. 165

eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • handymanhandyman Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Name the winner of the World Series AND How many games will it go? Boston 7

2. Name the WS MVP. ortiz

3. What will be the total number or runs scored by BOTH teams--you can be within 3 over or under 38

4. Name the winning pitcher for Games 3, 4, 5, and 6--you must name 3 of the 4 Kelly, Bucholz, Wainwright, Lackey

5. Calculate the total number FOR BOTH TEAMS of: HRs, RBI, Runs and Strikeouts--for the entire series --you can be within 3 .132

awesome deal.
    Thanks for doing this

Edit to change my napolli vote for MVP he jsut got benched for 3 games.
    If not my 1st vote was nampolli
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, Manny! Very generous gesture on your part!

Here are the Qs:

1. Name the winner of the World Series AND How many games will it go? Red Sox 6

2. Name the WS MVP David Ortiz

3. What will be the total number or runs scored by BOTH teams--you can be within 3 over or under 40

4. Name the winning pitcher for Games 3, 4, 5, and 6--you must name 3 of the 4 Kelly, Bucholz, Lester, Lackey

5. Calculate the total number FOR BOTH TEAMS of: HRs, RBI, Runs and Strikeouts--for the entire series --you can be within 3 10, 36, 40, 108

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭

1. Name the winner of the World Series AND How many games will it go? Red Sox 7

2. Name the WS MVP Pedroia

3. What will be the total number or runs scored by BOTH teams--you can be within 3 over or under 38

4. Name the winning pitcher for Games 3, 4, 5, and 6--you must name 3 of the 4 Kelly, Buchholz, Lester, Martinez

5. Calculate the total number FOR BOTH TEAMS of: HRs, RBI, Runs and Strikeouts--for the entire series --you can be within 3 223
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • johnjinxjohnjinx Posts: 365 ✭✭✭
    1. Red Sox in 6 games

2. David Ortiz

3. 43
    4. Peavy, Buchholz, Wainwright, Uehara

5. 170
  • gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭
    1. Name the winner of the World Series AND How many games will it go? ....Red Sox in 6

2. Name the WS MVP...Lester

3. What will be the total number or runs scored by BOTH teams--you can be within 3 over or under.....44 runs

4. Name the winning pitcher for Games 3, 4, 5, and 6--you must name 3 of the 4.....Peavey, Lynn, Lester, Lackey

5. Calculate the total number FOR BOTH TEAMS of: HRs, RBI, Runs and Strikeouts--for the entire series --you can be within 3.....168

• CrazylegsCrazylegs Posts: 406 ✭✭✭
    Great contest!

Very nice gesture on your part.

Will make watching the games a little more interesting.

1. Want the Sox, but have to go with the Cards in 6
    2. MVP = Wacha, going on a limb with the youngster!
    3. 46
    4. Kelly, Buckholtz, Wainwright, Wacha If anyone gets this one I'll be amazed.
    Sure a reliever will pick up a win somewhere along the way.
    5. 206

Good luck to all and thanks again for the contest.

Crazylegs
    Craig AKA "Crazylegs"
  • initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭
    1. Red Sox 7
    2. Ortiz
    3. 52
    4. Kelly, Tazawa, Uehara, Wacha
    5. 212

Cool contest thanks!
  • 1. Cardinals in 7
    2. Trevor Rosenthal
    3. 39
    4. Peavy, Lynn, Wainwright, Lackey
    5. 175

thanks so much for the contest
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are the man, flatfoot!

1) STL in 7
    2) Beltran
    3) 48
    4) C Martinez, Uehara, Wainwright, Lackey
    5) 211

Incredible contest!
  • 1. Name the winner of the World Series AND How many games will it go?
    St. Louis, 6 games

2. Name the WS MVP
    Michael Wacha

3. What will be the total number or runs scored by BOTH teams--you can be within 3 over or under

3 - Martinez, 4 - Rosenthal, 5 - Lester, 6 - Wacha

5. Calculate the total number FOR BOTH TEAMS of: HRs, RBI, Runs and Strikeouts--for the entire series --you can be within 3
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    1. Red Sox, 7 games
    2. David Ortiz
    3. 54 runs
    4. game 3 - Kelly, game 4 - Breslow, game 5 - Lester, game 6 - Wacha
    5. 248

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Tibbs4Tibbs4 Posts: 66 ✭✭
    1. Cardinals in six games
    2. Carlos Beltran
    3. 38
    4. Kelly, Tazawa, Wainwright, Waacha
    5. 194

• mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    1. Name the winner of the World Series AND How many games will it go?
    Boston, 6 games

2. Name the WS MVP
    David Ortiz

3 - Peavy, 4 - Lynn, 5 - Lester, 6 - Lackey

Great contest, Thanks Manny!

------
    stupid print dots

OK--I ma gonna play too--but if I win, I get to rip the packs or send to someone of my choice!

Red Sox in 7 !!!!
    MVP--Lester
    total runs--56
    Game 3--Tazawa--Game 4-Axford--Game 5--Lester--Game 6--Uehara
    Total Runs/HRs/Ks/RBI=227
  • PorkinsPorkins Posts: 604 ✭✭✭
    What a great contest. Thanks!

1. Cards in 6
    2. Wacha
    3. 41 runs
    4. 3-Kelly, 4-Buchholz, 5-Wainwright 6-Wacha
    5. 189
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    1. Cardinals in 5
    2. Matt Holliday
    3. 36 runs
    4. Kelly, Lynn, and Wainwright
    5. 162
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • or246or246 Posts: 108 ✭✭
    Love the idea!!! and thanks for the opportunity!

1. Red Sox in 7
    2. MVP David Ortiz
    3. Total number of runs 50
    4. Winning pitchers GM 3 - Kelly, GM 4 - Buchholz, GM 5 - Workman, GM 6 - Wacha
    5. 236
    Currently working on 1970 Topps Hockey PSA 9 set
  • BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice prizes here! I'm going with:

1 - Sox in 7
    2 - Ortiz
    3 - 48 runs
    4 - Kelly, Buchholz, Wainwright,Wacha
    5 - 185
    Daniel
  • stevebaystevebay Posts: 289 ✭✭✭
    1. Name the winner of the World Series AND How many games will it go? Cards in 6

2. Name the WS MVP. Wacha

3. What will be the total number or runs scored by BOTH teams--you can be within 3 over or under. 45

4. Name the winning pitcher for Games 3, 4, 5, and 6--you must name 3 of the 4. C. Martinez, Bucholz, Wainwright, Wacha

5. Calculate the total number FOR BOTH TEAMS of: HRs, RBI, Runs and Strikeouts--for the entire series --you can be within 3.
    Cards: 3 HR, 26 RBi, 26 Runs, 42k
    Sox: 4HR. 21 Rbi, 21 Rbi, 61k
  • vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Great contest. The prizes are stellar.

Sox in 7
    Ortiz
    Peavy, Martinez, Wainwright, Lackey

Thanks
    Jim
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the contest!

1. Cardinals in 6
    2. Matt Holliday
    3. 41
    4. Kelly, Buchholz, Wainwright, Wacha
    5. 207
  • 1. Name the winner of the World Series AND How many games will it go? Cards in 6

2. Name the WS MVP - Holliday

3. What will be the total number or runs scored by BOTH teams--you can be within 3 over or under- 48

4. Name the winning pitcher for Games 3, 4, 5, and 6--you must name 3 of the 4 - Kelly, Lynn, Lester, Wacha

5. Calculate the total number FOR BOTH TEAMS of: HRs, RBI, Runs and Strikeouts--for the entire series --you can be within 3 - 164

Thanks for the opportunity.

Mike

• maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Name the winner of the World Series AND How many games will it go? Sox in 7

2. Name the WS MVP- Lester

3. What will be the total number or runs scored by BOTH teams--you can be within 3 over or under- 69

4. Name the winning pitcher for Games 3, 4, 5, and 6--you must name 3 of the 4- Kelly, Buckholz, Lester, Wacha

5. Calculate the total number FOR BOTH TEAMS of: HRs, RBI, Runs and Strikeouts--for the entire series --you can be within 3- 231
    good luck to everyone

What a crazy game ending !!!!!!
    Those two 1970 wax packs look like they will be staying with you Manny. With NOBODY correctly picking the winning pitcher in Game #3, someone has to correctly predict the winning pitcher in the next three games. 2nd prize is just as amazing!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

well here is hoping they stay with me--that's why it was 1st prize. Someone may still do it

Totals thus far assuming my math is correct

Total Runs--24----

Total RBI=23---Total Ks=51--total HRs=3

Total runs/HRs/Ks/RBI=101

Doug is right no one guessed the winning pitcher in Game 3

Good Luck tonight--especially my Sox !!!!!

Here's hoping the umpires let the PLAYERS decide the outcome

<< <i>Here's hoping the umpires let the PLAYERS decide the outcome >>

They DID Manny ... Craig and Middlebrooks decided the game!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

<< <i>

<< <i>Here's hoping the umpires let the PLAYERS decide the outcome >>

They DID Manny ... Craig and Middlebrooks decided the game! >>

Saltalamacchia decided the game, there is no reason he should have went for the hero throw at third. He should have held the ball and waited for another batter to get the final out. Any base hit would have scored the runner anyway, yet you can either make the force out on first or second on an infield hit or even making the third out on a fly ball.
    Manny ... after Game 4 it was official ... the wax packs stay with you!

So if SAWKS win it ... who is MVP so far? Papi? Jon? Koji?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

<< <i>Manny ... after Game 4 it was official ... the wax packs stay with you!

So if SAWKS win it ... who is MVP so far? Papi? Jon? Koji? >>

With both Lester and Papi playing lights out, I think it is a year that they will be Co-MVPs.
    best of luck to everyone who may still be in the running here
    I will post some stats later to see who is in the running-

AND BEST OF LUCK TO MY RED SOX--GO SOX!!!!!!!
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Manny ... after Game 4 it was official ... the wax packs stay with you!

So if SAWKS win it ... who is MVP so far? Papi? Jon? Koji? >>

With both Lester and Papi playing lights out, I think it is a year that they will be Co-MVPs. >>

That is a possibility but think Papi gets more votes due to playing every game. Giving up one run in two games is *very* impressive during the WS but getting on base in nine straight plate appearances and hitting .733 is simply extraordinary.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I am a Cardinals fan and hope they win of course, but the way Ortiz has played I would not care if he got the MVP from the losing team if that happened. He has been far and away the most valuable player in this series.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
    Let me start the message by saying Go Red Sox

1st prize is out--whew!!!!!!

I put up some nice prizes--and will be happy to give up 2nd prize--which is not a bad thing when you consider it cost you only guesses

here are the totals taken from my local paper thru 5 games

Runs=34

HRs(5)/ RBI(32)/ Ks(87) plus the runs=158 thus far

If the Sox win tonite--GO SOX!!--and Ortiz is named MVP, the following have the best shot as I calculate

Grote15--who picked the Sox in 6 and Big Papi as MVP--he is going to be close on runs and total category--quite possible 4 correct picks

BPorter--also picked papi and the sox in 6--he is going to be close on runs--probably out on total category--best is 3

johnjinx--picked sox in 6 and big papi as mvp--is going to be close on runs--but also probably out on total--best will be 3

game usedhoop--only if lester is mvp

many others tied at 2

So good luck to you guys--and check my math!

and root for my Sox!
    I think I am in the running for 3 w/ Sox, Papi and 42 runs. A little off on the total w/ 200.
    and thanks for putting on this contest. It adds a little extra to an already wonderful World Series.

<< <i>If the Sox win tonite--GO SOX!!--and Ortiz is named MVP, the following have the best shot as I calculate >>

Manny ... the Cards are going to win tonight (TOO FRIGGIN BAD TIM! lol) and the SAWKS tomorrow, as BIG PAPI is named MVP. Let's see who picked the SAWKS in 7 and PAPI as MVP and go from there! hahaha
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If the Sox win tonite--GO SOX!!--and Ortiz is named MVP, the following have the best shot as I calculate >>

Manny ... the Cards are going to win tonight (TOO FRIGGIN BAD TIM! lol) and the SAWKS tomorrow, as BIG PAPI is named MVP. Let's see who picked the SAWKS in 7 and PAPI as MVP and go from there! hahaha >>

Sox in Six! I love Boston!!" Brady and Papi rule!! Mets suck! Lol!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>here are the totals taken from my local paper thru 5 games

Runs=34 tonight's game 7 = 41 total

HRs(5)/ RBI(32)/ Ks(87) plus the runs=158 thus far tonight HR = 1; RBI = 7; Ks = 15 = 181 >>

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Manny ... looks like 3 people had 3 correct answers. PM sent.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug