Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Specimen Strike

Could someone explain what a "Specimen Strike" is? It was discussed in the Swiss thread, and I also have some SP graded Canadian $1 coins. Is it to be desired? Is it better than MS strike but less than Proof? I'm a little lazy in this matter and first went to the PCGS Glossary with unsatisfactory results, and now I'm turning to you experts. Thanks.
Paul

Comments

• Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Could someone explain what a "Specimen Strike" is? It was discussed in the Swiss thread, and I also have some SP graded Canadian $1 coins. Is it to be desired? Is it better than MS strike but less than Proof? I'm a little lazy in this matter and first went to the PCGS Glossary with unsatisfactory results, and now I'm turning to you experts. Thanks. >>

It depends on the country; in the United States, specimen strikes generally refer to higher quality circulating coinage for which usually no proofs exist, such as the specimen 1794 dollar. It possesses more detail and reflective surfaces yet it is not quite a proof. For Canada, specimen sets were available to the public and this is what the finish is generally called, hence the designation "SP". On 19th century coinage this is much desired, on 20th century coinage not so since they're pretty much higher quality circulating strikes available to the public. Originally, specimens were just that, but many countries are now releasing specimen strikes instead of BU or Proof coins (or they release all three of the finishes).

Dennis
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    I had some Canadian specimen small cents for a while. To me those coins looked like very well struck circulation strikes. I wouldn't want to try to identify one if it were handed to me raw. I'm sure the graders know what to look for.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    OP - I have always wondered about that exact same question. Good thread.
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    I don't know much about the technical side, but here is my understanding of specimens:

It's a higher pressure strike by better/special (for lack of a better term) dies. Very much like a proof, except the relief isn't frosted. Often it is a reflective/brilliant field+relief, but it can also include lined or otherwise textured/matte finishes.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Could someone explain what a "Specimen Strike" is? ...... >>

It depends on the country; in the United States, specimen strikes generally refer to higher quality circulating coinage for which usually no proofs exist, such as the specimen 1794 dollar. It possesses more detail and reflective surfaces yet it is not quite a proof. ........
    Dennis >>

I have my eye on a piece coming to auction soon at Heritage. It seems to me that perhaps Dennis's definition would apply in the case of this coin, would you guys agree?
    Or perhaps could this coin's designation be indicative of something else?

Either way, it sure is a pretty one, at least IMO.

SP designated coin up for auction

JC

PS .... Thanks for asking the question and for the responses, as I too was wondering if my understanding of the designation was correct.
  • Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    For Canadian nickels 1922 to 1952, the Specimens can be readily distinguished from the business strike strikes. It's hard to describe, but the difference becomes apparent after looking at a few side by side. For me, the biggest difference can be seen in the flatter and more squared off lettering and numbers on Specimen strikes.
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Could someone explain what a "Specimen Strike" is? ...... >>

It depends on the country; in the United States, specimen strikes generally refer to higher quality circulating coinage for which usually no proofs exist, such as the specimen 1794 dollar. It possesses more detail and reflective surfaces yet it is not quite a proof. ........
    Dennis >>

I have my eye on a piece coming to auction soon at Heritage. It seems to me that perhaps Dennis's definition would apply in the case of this coin, would you guys agree?
    Or perhaps could this coin's designation be indicative of something else?

Either way, it sure is a pretty one, at least IMO.

SP designated coin up for auction

JC

PS .... Thanks for asking the question and for the responses, as I too was wondering if my understanding of the designation was correct. >>

Looking at the Guatemala 8R piece, I might guess that it was one of the first strikes of that set of dies. Again, I might guess that it is subjective on NGC's part to grade it "SP", with a few guidelines given to the grader. Do you think the minters at that time made "SP" coins or maybe just picked out the best at the start of a run?
    Paul