Home U.S. Coin Forum

Unless Helen Keller is surfing Ebay to build a commem set I doubt this 1921 Missouri 2X4 will sell?

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
I don't think I've ever seen puttied silver turn this dark before or is it just fugly image

Stinky Linky

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ahhh,

the darker side of the light side image

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that's a Teletrade sticker on that turd.
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think that's a Teletrade sticker on that turd. >>

Your right as it did sell at teletrade a few years ago and looks more like charred meatloaf in their pics.

• 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like whomever owned the coin while raw chewed tobacco and spilled their spittoon on the coin and then let it air dry right before submitting. Makes perfect sense for a Missouri coin image

Erik
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    When presented with a coin like this, I tell myself:

The pretty coins look pretty because of the comparison to the ugly coins. We need ugly coins to help define the pretty ones. Cuz otherwise they would not be so pretty.

Of course it's all self deception and lies. Works with humans better than it does with coins. Lots more ugly humans than the pretty ones...and we don't melt humans because they are ugly. Pity on the owner who spent money on it.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is an example of a dip gone bad because the coin was not properly rinsed. PCGS might be willing to help here; they helped me with a coin like this years ago, although the piece was not this bad. Even if they can fix it, I do not think that it will grade MS-65 because removing the layer of tarnish will leave the coin duller.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a real shame..... can likely be conserved, but will never grade 65 again...Cheers, RickO
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is an example of a dip gone bad because the coin was not properly rinsed. PCGS might be willing to help here; they helped me with a coin like this years ago, although the piece was not this bad. Even if they can fix it, I do not think that it will grade MS-65 because removing the layer of tarnish will leave the coin duller. >>

I wasn't even thinking about rancid dip residue that had turned as this is really bad and was already at a terminal state when auctioned off at teletrade. I'm doubtful that the obverse peripheral growth would fully come off at this stage even if conserved, but would make for a good before and after example like NCS used to show. This coin should be the poster child for anyone who likes bright white coins as any smoe can dip a coin but if it wasn't properly rinsed prior to submission unless you babysit and check in on it regularly in 5+ years your newp could look like this. The ANA really needs to hire ricko and have him teach the "Art of Dip" by demonstrating it all over the country.
  • SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭✭
    This coin as already said is an example and victim of poor conservation. The sad thing is the seller is buried in this coin and will have to sell at a giant discount if he can sell it. No commemorative collector that is serious would even want this example , an AU that is attractive is far better then this unnatural and unattractive coin even with the high grade.

If I were the owner of the coin I would first send it too PCGS and get an opinion if they can do any thing for this coin. I tend to think though there is no way back for that type of surface damage. The seller may find a buyer who wants to try to "fix" the coin but still it will be a low price perhaps half of retail if he can find a buyer.

sad example of a tough coin image
  • shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    This coin reminds me of some of the NGC Indian Heads I saw come up for auction 10 years ago.
    NGC had a dark period of grading IH copper in the 90's that came back to haunt them.
    Turned in holder, wholesaled to Heritage for weekly and even Sig auctions over and over again. They
    seemed to disappear from market and I'm guessing they were bought back by grading house.
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    At the right price, it's the perfect Registry coin.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And you used Helen Keller as an example because she's a woman, right?

Ziiing! image
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    Description from the Teletrade auction:

"Gem. Well struck. Toned. Entry of Missouri as the 24th state of the Union is indicated by a small 2-star-4 in the left obverse field above the 1821 date. Designed by Robert Aitken, his monogram can be found on the reverse, right of the base of the Pioneer's rifle stock. Only 5, 000 coins of this variety minted with 2-star-4 in the field. He also designed the 1915 Panama-Pacific $50 gold."

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson

• I will say it is struck very well and that probably accounts for the grade. It looks like the frontiersman's strap is struck up
    and Missouri's are rarely seen like that. But you are right--it is one butt ugly coin.

Everybody's got plans--until they get hit
    --Mike Tyson
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt whether Helen Keller would have been interested in that coin considering what she accomplished despite her physical limitations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_Keller

I know you meant no disrespect by the way.
    LCoopie = Les
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I certainly agree - start the auction at 99c and see how it goes?
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That coin is butt ugly
    Frank

BHNC #203

• phnataccphnatacc Posts: 367 ✭✭
    "is it just fugly?"

"that turd"

"It looks like whomever owned the coin while raw chewed tobacco and spilled their spittoon on the coin and then let it air dry right before submitting."

"it is one butt ugly coin"

"That coin is butt ugly "

I'd say the seller would be extremely lucky to get 15% back of bid at this point.
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like maybe Helen Keller graded this one. 65? REALLY?????
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • rec78rec78 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would rather own a vg. There will certainly be no buyers at $2900. I doubt that there would be buyers even at $1,000. But then this is not my area. Stranger things have happened-haven't they?
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crack and dip what do you have to lose it will go cheep in the holder or get good $$$ if it dips out. image

Hoard the keys.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file