Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New 1939 New York World's Fair "Coin" on Orig Card

Hi All,

A new item for my 1939 memorabilia collection. I also collect Kodachrome slides and b/w prints. Some of this has been displayed in Washington D.C. There were many types of these "coins" available - some were "spinners", other advertised this or that. I am sure many have seen the Met Life 1940 version. My collection of memorabilia is limited to Official Souvenirs licensed through Exposition Souvenir Corporation (still, 25,000 Official souvenirs!). Imagine all the five and dime knockoff stuff. This example has the scarcer bust reverse - the other shows Washington full length taking the Oath in 1789. I like this bust best. I put it at MS64+ ; the marks on Washington are not nearly as bad as they look and the Perisphere and fields are quite clean. Good strong luster.

Hope you like it image

Eric

1939 New York World Fair Official Coin on original card, Obverse

1939 New York World Fair Official Coin on original card, Reverse

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's really cool!
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very Cool!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sweet! Love it! image

ABimage
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    Nice!
  • Options
    Thanks image

I think it was about $15?

Eric
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice! I really like original packaging and boxes and buy them with the item whenever I get the chance.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great piece of exonumia... congratulations on the find...Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>Very nice! I really like original packaging and boxes and buy them with the item whenever I get the chance. >>

Thanks Bill,

I have the bag this came in as well :-)
    It is an Official Souvenir bag to let folks know you really did buy their souvenir at the the Fair instead of Woolworths.

Eric
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,514 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats wicked cool, nice pick up.
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Relatively scarce on original card.

Nice pick up
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    isnt that were the displayed the first TV?
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    Neat. Great pickup.

Mike
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Very cool, especially with the card!
  • Options

<< <i>isnt that were the displayed the first TV? >>

Hello Crypto,

that is another common WF myth, like that Sally Rand was in NY or TV was only shown at RCA. GE, Westinghouse...they had TV too in equally impressive exhibits or even better. TV was broadcast in a small form to a small audience, in NY since 1931 with a program and schedule (small). TV was shown at previous Fairs. I think there was some version in '25, '33, '35, '36,'37 etc. etc. I may be a little fuzzy on my dates but that is the essential data.

Best wishes,
    Eric

See thread "For Dan Carr" for some of my color 1939 NYWF digital restorations for the National Building Museum.
  • Options
    CMCARTCMCART Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭
    Coolimage
    Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)
    5$ bills are WOW with the numbers - wanted:
    Wanted - Flipper notes with the numbers 6-9 or 0-6-9 ON 1$ 2$ 5$ 10$ 20$
    Wanted - 10$ Sereis 2013 - fancy Serial Numbers
  • Options
    Hi All,

I am glad you guys are liking it! I love it! My dad was there.

Here is more Fair from my collection:

Best wishes image

Eric
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Communications Building tokens:
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    drwstr123 - awesome!

I might guess they are 1940 (most anything from 1939 was dated) as the entrance to the building appears to reflect the widened doors from 1940 which would make this the Communications and Maritime Transport Building.
    If you ever see any 39 WF token of this building without the "Means of Communication" mural by Eugene Savage - grab it! The mural was a last minute addition. The sculpture seen head on near the bottom is "Speed" by Joseph Renier and is a woman on Pegasus IIRC. The stars above the mural were illuminated at night from within - the mural was well lit of course. Thank you!!!

Eric

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file