Home U.S. Coin Forum

Type or Series Collectors - For those who don't own a Lincoln Cent in their PRIMARY collection

CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
Why?

For me, it is the most ubiquitous coin available and is still produced in the millions. That equals boring. Since I'm a type collector, I'll have one someday, but not likely anytime soon. That's my reason. What's yours?

P.S. technically, I do own a few wheaties that have been thrown into a box whenever I find them - they're just not in my type collection.

P.P.S. - no offense intended for those who are enamored with the wood chopper. Likely, there are many who dislike Morgans too. No different really.

P.P.P.S. - of course, if I were to be given a wonderful 1955 DD, I wouldn't turn it away. So if you have one, you can test my self discipline. Go ahead, I dare ya.....
"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"

Comments

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't own a Lincoln cent in my primary collection and rarely carry a Lincoln cent in my business inventory. Truly, I just don't like to carry or own that many copper coins. No offense to copper or those that love copper, but it isn't my niche.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People save those things?

hmmmmmmm, must be missing something!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've collected Lincoln errors by date and mint but my interest faded after 1929... Not sure why I didn't at least stretch it to 1931 image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I started my type set I wanted to only include silver............that lasted only a year or soimage

I figured if I have a collection of Conder tokens, civil war and hard times, merchant tokens I should
    bring in some copper.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've collected Lincoln errors by date and mint but my interest faded after 1929... Not sure why I didn't at least stretch it to 1931 image >>

I would guess your eyes failed you broadstruck. Age will do that to you.....
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I have precisely 1 Indian and 4 Lincolns in my type set. The Lincolns are only there for registry purposes, as the design isn't that inspiring. In fact, as the first to depict an actual person, it sort of turns me off.
  • coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, I have precisely 1 Indian and 4 Lincolns in my type set. The Lincolns are only there for registry purposes, as the design isn't that inspiring. In fact, as the first to depict an actual person, it sort of turns me off. >>

Interesting reasoning; where do you think that the designs of the bust series and morgan series came from? The obv design for the Morgan dollar was developed by Mr Morgan from a sitting with a 19 yr old girl by the name of Anna Willess Willams. While I dont know this for any fact I would suspect that every coin that has a human face on it depicts or was modeled after an actual person.
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's nothing I enjoy more than beautiful early Lincolns. Many have spectacular surfaces and wonderful colors and relief.

Maybe the most satisfying is a lovely branch mint from the difficult late teens and 20's.
    Lance.
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure my meaning is clear to virtually everyone, but by "actual person", I mean a depiction of a named individual instead of a depiction of "Liberty". Of course the designers used models to create their designs.

I don't mean to bag on anyone's favorite coin, just stating why I think its design was a move in the wrong direction.
  • OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I , as a matter of principle, refuse to own one. I don't carry 5 dollar bills, either. Lincoln single-handedly destroyed the US Constitution and American presidents have ignored it ever since.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • To each his own, that's what makes this hobby so much fun. As for myself find Morgan and Peace dollars the most boring coins made....along with the Kennedy Halfs....
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a few including some in my broad strike collection.

I also like MPLs and would be interested in adding one or more at some point.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I , as a matter of principle, refuse to own one. I don't carry 5 dollar bills, either. Lincoln single-handedly destroyed the US Constitution and American presidents have ignored it ever since. >>

I tend to think of Andrew Jackson as having that honor, which is interestingly tied to southern gold.
  • WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me the little coin reminds me of a small medal. Early dates have nice detail and high relief contrasted and balanced by clean open fields where nary a hairline or hit can hide, unlike say the Texas commem that is slathered in design detail that can hide anything. The lettering screams Art Nouveau which encompassed an entire world wide era of artistic design. I also like that having VDB designing the coin changed the status quo at the mint and heralded in a new era of coin design. Finding examples with full strike and clean fields can be quite a task and we aren't even talking about color yet. Certainly hunting for quality makes up for unsurvivable high mintage numbers.

When I first started in coins I blew off Lincoln Cents dismissing it as a beginner coin and hunted for bigger game. How wrong I was! It wasn't long before I noticed that almost all small cents have their own look! I became bored with gold and silver as gold can be nice or dirty and tricked out if you will, silver can be white or toned and back to white, ie nudge able severe times before luster is dipped out. I got out of almost all of that and transitioned into anything copper, especially Lincoln's. With copper, its color is a one way street and all of the natural shades in the progression of oxidizing hold there own charm. The whole color aspect adds another dimension that holds my attention a little stronger.

So give the little coin another look and see what you are missing! You never know, chasing high quality Lincoln's is no joke.

• << <i>To me the little coin reminds me of a small medal. Early dates have nice detail and high relief contrasted and balanced by clean open fields where nary a hairline or hit can hide, unlike say the Texas commem that is slathered in design detail that can hide anything. The lettering screams Art Nouveau which encompassed an entire world wide era of artistic design. I also like that having VDB designing the coin changed the status quo at the mint and heralded in a new era of coin design. Finding examples with full strike and clean fields can be quite a task and we aren't even talking about color yet. Certainly hunting for quality makes up for unsurvivable high mintage numbers.

When I first started in coins I blew off Lincoln Cents dismissing it as a beginner coin and hunted for bigger game. How wrong I was! It wasn't long before I noticed that almost all small cents have their own look! I became bored with gold and silver as gold can be nice or dirty and tricked out if you will, silver can be white or toned and back to white, ie nudge able severe times before luster is dipped out. I got out of almost all of that and transitioned into anything copper, especially Lincoln's. With copper, its color is a one way street and all of the natural shades in the progression of oxidizing hold there own charm. The whole color aspect adds another dimension that holds my attention a little stronger.

So give the little coin another look and see what you are missing! You never know, chasing high quality Lincoln's is no joke. >>

+1
  • SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the 55 DDO but after owning one for about a year, I was satisfied and sold it. The only other Lincoln I purchased was a 1909-S VDB as a gift for my father, but I am not interested in one myself.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread is a good read ...hadn't really thought much about them before, but there are some compelling opinions here !
  • AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have all the keys including the 55 DBL die. I used to have a full registry set, but sold them all off except the keys. After searching for those coins as a kid, I feel like, now that I have them, I just can't cut them loose.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only have 1, a 14-d PC 64rd. Although I often consider selling it, but haven't.
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    As a type collector, I feel I have to have not just one, but a few of them, due to the changes which have occurred over the 100+ years they have been produced. Otherwise, there would be a lot of empty holes in my 7070 and Capital holders.

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not say that the Lincoln cent is at the core of my interests, but I do have the type coins, a 1909 - 1940 set from my childhood and the 1955 and 1972 doubled dies because I think that they are neat. I also have the 2009 Lincoln commemorative dollar with four cents set for similar reasons. I do not actively avoid Lincoln cents; I just collect the pieces that interest me.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I , as a matter of principle, refuse to own one. I don't carry 5 dollar bills, either. Lincoln single-handedly destroyed the US Constitution and American presidents have ignored it ever since. >>

I tend to think of Andrew Jackson as having that honor, which is interestingly tied to southern gold. >>

Jackson didn't necessarily ignore the Constitution--merely the SC's interpretation of it. Lincoln, on the other hand, when he suspended habeas coupus, when he sent Federal troops to burn the offices of opposing newspapers, even when (although, in truth, I admit the result was morally correct) he unilaterally usurped private property without due process by proclaiming the freedom of slaves stomped on it.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not ONE Lincoln cent? WoW! C'mon people,Abe's coin has every bit of interesting facts in the collecting world! Just a few examples; To most,he's the most famous President to date, in his first year of being minted, so many different and special mint marks(also a unique double-die)(the 1909sV.D.B.being the rarest in mintage) the initials controversy, the popular '55 double-die,the '43 era about the metal change,the change of the reverse in 1959,the change of the reverse once again in 2009, the " Wide A.M." varieties (no other coin has this mistake) and of course, the great,great interest in our young collectors! I can go on,and on,and on... Oh well, like mentioned," to each his own". but for me and many more collectors, I LOVE the Lincoln coin! My 2 cents (pun,intended) -joeyimage

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have many cents, although not a primary area of interest. I prefer silver, but cannot resist wheaties....I just hoard them - one day I will check them out. Cheers, RickO
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have OCD
    Old Codger's Diet

I can't help separating nicer coins from crappy looking ones. Get them in change, or in rolls and this inner voice says "separate wheat from chaff ".

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think i have 1 or 2 thousand of them i just dont like how a nice red will trun brown and the price drops like a rock from there it's the same coin.image

Hoard the keys.
  • jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    I find them generally uninteresting. I have an 09s vdb and a 55 ddo in my type set but other than that I don't have any.

I will say that early high grade, colorful, matte proof cents can be jaw droppers. But they are just too much IMO; I would rather spend the money on an error or something else for my type sets.
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file