Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Jose Canseco Private Signing # 2 (Last chance for a spot - expecting all cards by the end of the wee

Hello Everyone and Happy Friday Night.

So to all those who have been here for a little bit more than a year now on these boards, you may remember that I did a private signing with Jose Canseco just for the members on these boards where I was in direct contact with him. It basically went like this: Everyone mailed me their cards, I packaged them up and sent them directly to him. He signed them and then mailed them back directly to me. Well I am in the position to do this again.

It will be $20 per card plus $3 shipping (same amount for multiple cards sent) I will guarantee that any card you send me to get signed will pass PSA/DNA. He will sign any card so here's a perfect chance to get something signed by one of Baseballs biggest superstars from the late 80's, early-mid 90's. Mr. 40-40 himself.

I just want this to be fun for everyone. Please keep negative comments to yourself. I have done this before and we are fortunate to have this opportunity again where he will sign just for us. He knows that I am a true fan of his so he is not obligated to do this but will because I have done this before with him and it went without a hitch last time.

Please note that it may be anywhere from 3 weeks to a 2 month wait time before you get your card(s) back. I did a great job on updating everyone every step of the way last time and for those who did this last year know this.

Jose Canseco Private Signing #1

Right now I am looking to just collect 35 cards. Could be more if there is more of a demand from our members but once 35 slots are filled, I cannot guarantee a slot after that as it turns into a lot of work for me as well.

Let me know who wants in and I will add you to the list.

You will have about 2 weeks to get your card so you have time to go on eBay right now and get a nice one. I myself even bought one yesterday specifically for this signing.

***Things to know before you sign up***

Payment of $23 will be sent via paypal gift. (PM me for my paypal). Payment must be sent within a couple of days from signing up.

I need everyone's cards within 2, 3 weeks at the most.

I am as of right now, I am looking for 35 cards to put on this list. If someone wants 5 cards signed, then I will count that as 5 with 30 more needed for the list.

01 - yankeeno7 - PAID (Card Received)
02 - yankeeno7 - PAID (Card Received)
03 - BPorter26 - PAID (Card Received)
04 - BPorter26 - PAID (Card Received)
05 - MBMiller25 - PAID (Card Received)
06 - MBMiller25 - PAID (Card Received)
07 - MBMiller25 - PAID (Card Received)
08 - rtimmer - PAID (Card Received)
09 - BostonAmericans - PAID (Card Received)
10 - BostonAmericans - PAID (Card Received)
11 - BostonAmericans - PAID (Card Received)
12 - SloshedJosh - PAID (Card Received)
13 - SloshedJosh - PAID (Card Received)
14 - pjb103183 - PAID (Card Received)
25 - pjb103183 - PAID (Card Received)
16 - stevebay - PAID (Card Received)
17 - seablaster - PAID (Card Received)
18 - shu4040 - PAID
19 - totallyradd - PAID (Card Received)
20 - totalltradd - PAID (Card Received)
21 - mattinglymint23 - PAID (Card Received)
22 - mattinglymint23 - PAID (Card Received)
23 - EAsports - PAID (Card Received)
24 - DonDraper - PAID (Card Received)
25 - coachnip13 - PAID (Card Received)

Comments

• Options
    Not trying to sound like a jerk, but why would someone pay the same amount to send one of their own cards as it would cost to buy the same card already slabbed by PSA/DNA?
  • Options
    Ok, Ill play. Can you find a 1986 Topps Tiffany signed and in a PSA holder right now? Probably not and when it does, you will pay more than $30 and even $40 I promise. The good thing about this is that it will go directly to Jose himself so there will be no question that your signature will be 100% legit. Plus, sometimes when you go to buy a card online that's already auto/slabbed, it may not be in the best condition so here's your chance to send in a card that you would like to see get signed. Here's another example - In the last signing, someone who only collects signed White Sox players cards sent there Canseco with the White Sox card. Canseco autos on White Sox or even his 1 card with the Expos doesnt come around very often.

Lets get some more names on this list to get this thing going.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Not trying to sound like a jerk, but why would someone pay the same amount to send one of their own cards as it would cost to buy the same card already slabbed by PSA/DNA? >>

1)Convenience (you don't want to take the time to search, deal with bad shippers, ebay nonsense, etc.)
    2)Sentimental attachment to a PARTICULAR card (IE, one you pack pulled back then, have had for years, the same card from an outside seller wouldn't have the same meaning)
    3)you prefer raw and don't want to risk the damage of cracking them out from slabbed purchases
    4)You want to support the coordinator in hopes that if the deal works well for him, that he will bring other opportunities for other athletes you need more

I'm not taking any spots in this signing as I've had all the signed cards I need, but if I didn't, the biggest factor for me to participate would be convenience with a one stop shop. I'm not saying it is to me, but to many, $20 per card is a TRIVIAL amount and is not worth the hassle and TIME to search out other opportunities.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    I see a Donruss Elite in your photo above. That one I could understand sending to a private signing but the rest of them look to be common rookies. When you factor in the cost of shipping to and from PSA with the authentication cost, it would be much cheaper just to buy one already slabbed. I always thought part of the excitement of getting an auto in person was actually being able to meet the athlete. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    I always thought part of the excitement of getting an auto in person was actually being able to meet the athlete. Just my opinion.

And with that, you would be paying a lot more than $20. Thanks for sharing your reasons but not everyone will see eye to eye or understand why some do things differently than others.
  • Options
    .....and you do it when I'm out of the country image I have a few I had set aside for the next one. I'd like 3 spots but I'll need to get some cards mailed to you that I buy on-line. I hope that's ok. I like what you did with the first group. Some of those cards looked great. As far as the benfit of this, you get cards that you wuoldn't normally see signed but most importantly, condition! Eye Appeal is important to me and OC cards suck. Thanks for doing this.
  • Options
    What about cello and racks..anyone submitting them this time? image
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    Can we write the inscription?
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    scashaggyscashaggy Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What about cello and racks..anyone submitting them this time? image >>

Didn't Jose open them the last time?
  • Options
    that he did
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Good luck Foo.

Great offering.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    I would probably join this if I had room in the budget - just for fun. I'm on total shutdown at the moment due to changing jobs.

I have 45 of the exact same Canseco card, 1986 Donruss Highlights, LOL.
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I do multisigned cards. Most people do single player cards and therefore its sometimes difficult for me to find. Also, some people that do have them, are way over priced. A private signing is the most efficient way other than TTM. Someone did a signing with Jose for 25.00 a pop. 20.00 is a fair price. I appreciate this opportunity and hopefully if offered again, I will do it again.
  • Options
    It is impossible to please everyone. Good job Foo you are doing great.......thanks for helping to keep the hobby fun!!
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Put me down for one maybe two....I'm trying to obtain the second item now that I'd like signed.

This sounds like fun thanks for putting together!
    Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    Thanks LeonLuckey. This is what its all about. Signings like these don't come around too often on these boards and its suppose to be fun. We are fortunate that we can get a big name like this involved and enjoyable for all who participate. I will also be sending him a few cards myself to get signed. Buying a signed card off eBay is nice and all but when you send one in yourself to get signed and it also gets authenticated, it has more sentimental value to me at least and would be harder for me to let go.

rtimmer, I've got you down for 1 at the moment.

I'm hoping to fill all these slots really soon so we can get this thing going.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    How well do the auto's show up on Tiffany cards? I've got a 1986 Topps Tiffany Canseco that I wouldn't mind getting signed, but I'm not sure what the auto would do on the glossy surface. Does it turn out ok?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Someone last time sent in an 86 Topps Tiffany card and it came out awesome. It's pictured in that bunch somewhere in the photo from the previous signing.

Note to anyone who participates: You must get a card as soon as possible. Last time a few people were holding the majority up and thats not cool. They told me they were looking for a card on eBay and it was 4 weeks later practically. Don't let your procrastination hold everyone else up because once I get all 35 slots filled, cards are expected to reach me within 1 week.

• Options
    Put me down for 1 - thanks!
    Collecting Topps Baseball: 1966-present base sets
    Topps/OPC Hockey 1966-Present base sets
  • Options
    I will say this-- Jose has a terrific autograph. Most of the kids coming up today are scribble autographs that you cannot read. Glad Jose has a nice one!
  • Options

<< <i>I will say this-- Jose has a terrific autograph. Most of the kids coming up today are scribble autographs that you cannot read. Glad Jose has a nice one! >>

Look at what any common player charges at a show these days, $20 sounds like a deal.
  • Options
    ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    I was the collector Foo mentioned earlier who collects signed White Sox cards. My card turned out great and is now in a PSA/DNA holder. If you're on the fence about this I would jump in. The cards turned out great and Foo kept everyone updated on order status.
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options
    Hey Foo I'll take a spot. Great timing as I just picked up a box of '86 Donruss and Fleer to rip.
    Looking to buy/trade for any Holman Moody (NASCAR) related items you may have.
  • Options
    You got it. Also let me know if your looking for more spots (meaning one spot for 1 card).

Canseco's agent emailed me today and it looks like we'll be ready to go once we get all spots filled.

I've also gotten a few PM's from different members asking questions and the biggest one is "Will he be signing any inscriptions?" I will ask but I cannot guarantee right now if you sign up, its just for the auto on any card you want. I promise I will ask him or see if we can work out a little something when it comes time to pay. I'll try to get us an inscription that says "40-40" for $5 extra which I think would be a nice one to have.

Those who would like that would just pay the extra $5 when it comes time. Again - nothing for sure yet except the auto itself.
  • Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    Sign me up for one.

Please PM me information.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options
    Put me down for 5 spots
  • Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    I did this last time with Foo and he was great to work with. Keep up the good work, buddy!
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options
    I will take 2 more spots - thanks!
    Collecting Topps Baseball: 1966-present base sets
    Topps/OPC Hockey 1966-Present base sets
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Ok, folks, which one would look nicer signed in a personal collection: 1986 Donruss, or 1986 Topps Tiffany?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ok, folks, which one would look nicer signed in a personal collection: 1986 Donruss, or 1986 Topps Tiffany? >>

Topps, more light colors on it so it pops more. Please be aware though that Jose isn't the most careful with your cards. They may come back with some bent corners so you might not want to bust out your PSA 10s.
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options
    Please be aware though that Jose isn't the most careful with your cards. They may come back with some bent corners so you might not want to bust out your PSA 10s.

This is true although I wouldnt say bent corners but a card with 4 sharp corners may come back with a soft one but like he said, dont be cracking out no PSA 10's either. I will kindly ask him to be a little more careful with our cards when sending them back. I think we should be ok.
  • Options
    Would definitely go with the Topps Tiffany. Don't seem to see too many of those especially compared to the abundance of 86 Donruss.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I am not much of an autograph collector but cool of you for organizing.
  • Options
    did this last time and my '86 donruss looks great. thanks again for organizing that one Foo and i'm glad so see this happening again.
  • Options
    pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    i just recently got a 86 fleer cello box and this will give me a damn good reason to rip it... ill take a spot please image
  • Options
    just spoke with a friend and he would like to get down on this as well....make that 2 spots for me please
  • Options
    Lets try and fill these slots up so we can get these cards out as soon as possible.
  • Options
    come on people 14 more slots? you would think an opportunity like this would fill just 35 slots in no time! lets get this thing moving!
  • Options
    Bump for the night crew.

Ill let this ride a few more days and then ill close it off. For everyone else who signed up, I'll be sending PM's out to you very soon. Hope your getting your cards ready.

Marc
  • Options
    stevebaystevebay Posts: 289 ✭✭✭
    Put me down for one spot.

I met Jose a few years back when he did a book signing for his "Juiced" book in Oakland. When I approached the table, I told him I loved him for his appearance on "The Simpsons". He chuckled. We shook hands. Cool experience.

• Options
    Was talking to a friend about this yesterday and he just gave me a box full of Canseco cards. 5 more spots please.
  • Options
    Night crew bump. Il be closing this out by the end of the weekend. Get in now before its closed.
  • Options
    Loking for a few more names to add before we close this out.

To those who want in, you still have time to get a card but I will be asking for them sometime by the end of next week. Please do not hold the rest of the group up however as we want to send these off as soon as possible.
  • Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    Ok, I'll take one
  • Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭
    I'd be in for two. I just went BIN on two rookies off ebay. It'll take a few days to receive them, but I'll ship em too you immediately.
  • Options
    Pulled a few more I'd like to get signed. I'll go for 4 more spots.
  • Options
    Anyone else before we close this tomorrow night?

Edit: If it goes over 35 slots because you want to submit more than 1, that's fine too.
  • Options
    For the day crew
  • Options
    Last bump - 35 min to go and then its done.

Thanks to everyone who participated and paid as well.

Please try and send your cards out by the end of next weekend so we can get this thing moving.
  • Options
    Hello to all,

So I have confirmed that we can get an inscription of "40-40" on our cards for an extra $5 only!! Now thats a deal.

I've decided to open this up a couple of more days in hopes that we can get more people to sign up with this new news. I will be closing this up again on Thursday. If you want to sign up, you need to PM me and pretty much send the funds to me the same day. I will not delay for everyone else just because someone decided that they didnt feel like paying till a week later.

To everyone who already signed up, thank you all for your speedy payments. It really makes things go a lot smoother.