Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

India "ex-David Fore Collection" PCGS Grading?

I've won a few coins from the recent Fore Collection (Baldwin's) auction. Since these are non-slabbed, I'd like to have them graded, but to maintain their pedigree would need the labeling mention "David Fore Collection" or "ex-DFC". What docs should I submit to PCGS with my submission to verify that the coins are indeed ones purchased from the DFC? Thanks.

Comments

• koincollectkoincollect Posts: 446 ✭✭✭
    You can send the card accompanying the coin and just to be safe a photocopy of the relevant page of the catalog. NGC would give the pedigree this way but not sure PCGS would.

On a side note I do not think this pedigree would be much beneficial in the long run for common coins, but agree that for the really rare one of a kind coins should be given.

Please check your PM too-- need to get your views on these coins.
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For major sales like this, I think we can assume that PCGS has the catalogs in house. Additionally, they have access to online auction records. Bottom line is that if you give them the auction details and lot number, and if the coin was imaged, PCGS should be able to verify the provenance and document it on the slab.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you really expect that PCGS would spend all that time to track down provenance via the web?

Most of the time PCGS ignores my requests on the submission form. Last submission, they even ignored the provided PCGS number and attributed the coin themselves (incorrectly, I might add). Call it arrogance or incompetence, it's tough to get personalized service from PCGS.

Never had this problem ATS.
  • koincollectkoincollect Posts: 446 ✭✭✭
    There are a couple of PCGS graded coins with this pedigree up on eBay, so they do recognize this and mention this on request.
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Most of the time PCGS ignores my requests on the submission form. Last submission, they even ignored the provided PCGS number and attributed the coin themselves (incorrectly, I might add). Call it arrogance or incompetence, it's tough to get personalized service from PCGS. >>

Sounds like a company trying to grow too quickly. I must echo these sentiments, unfortunately. I get personalized responses when I call or email, but the conversations are always initiated by me, and 99.99% regarding incorrect attribution. And one issue (a minor one, I might add) took two months to resolve via email. Not to say this happens often - because it really doesn't - but it does seem to happen regularly; of all coins I submitted in 2012 about 1/200 were wrongly attributed. I actually blame the fact that they're all Darkside, and all from African nations which changed names multiple times ... but the correct answer is right there in the design of the coin, in plain French (Fránce Afrique) ...

I recall very clearly when Bill Fivaz got his PCGS pedigree. It was shortly after the success of his Cherrypicker's Guide. He came to our coin club meeting with a bunch of his collection in freshly-pedigreed PCGS slabs and announced he was offering them for sale to club members first. My dad was quick to grab a Buffalo and some other. I think an Oregon Trail, I'm fuzzy on that detail. But I remember thinking that if I knew someone who got their own pedigree (Bill) then perhaps someday I might attain one.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE