Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Please help me with a medieval English penny

I am a very dedicated collector of U.S. coins (over 50 years), but recently I have become interested in English coinage. I have owned this medieval English penny for many years. When I purchased I thought that it was a piece from Edward I (1272 - 1307), but I'm not sure. According the source from whom I purchased this piece it was stuck at the London mint (Tower of London) and is a "class 10d." I can't find any references to that class. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could tell me which early English Monarch issued this piece. Thank you.

imageimage
Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments

• OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the Darkside Bill, you will definitly get an answer allthough I apolagise that I can not give you one
    things sometimes can be a little slower over here so be patient, Its good to see you over here.

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    The coin is from Edward I and was minted in London. I'm no expert but I think the class is 10cf3.
    Here's a link with some information on these coins. Text
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat piece.

FWIW: CRO has a similar Edward I piece for sale right now. Pretty affordable for the punch it packs.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Welcome to the Darkside, Bill. I identify with your points of view and appreciate your posts on U.S. side. I'm glad to see you here.

I am not an expert on this particular series, but I believe the classification issue may be a simple matter of which reference book is used. Have a look at a Coincraft's catalog and you'll find the "10d" whereas Spink's uses different nomenclature. Of course, both books are excellent resources if you have an interest in English coins.

I have only one copy of the Coincraft book or I'd send you one, but you can find them at most online booksellers. I believe the 1999 or 2000 edition may be the most recent one available.

Feel free to send me a PM if I can help.