Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

There's au58's and then there's AU58's!!!!!

I sent this one on a punt that PCGS might see the flatness in the hair has weakness rather than wear. Sadly they didn't. It's got a couple of stray hairlines on the obverse but otherwise it's the single nicest AU58 graded coin I've ever seen.

Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.

Comments

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, but this is a "politically sensitive" area. Grading on Vics from Young Head through Veiled is at times more than a bit questionable. Just from the pics, but if there is not other obvious issues in hand looks every bit the "63". I showed an 1849 shilling on these boards some while back and it was only a "62", but the hairlines were die polish lines as was clear from examining not only in hand but through magnification. I thought about sending it back, but so far have not. This happened with an '05 2/6 where there was a lot more at stake and I did send it back for the 63 (at least) it deserved. Or some other unmentionables that but a couple years ago were bagged for questionable color - colors that I have seen many times before and are legit old toning. Anyway, enough said...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    There's no doubt the hairlines on this coin are just that, hair lines, not die polish. There's 3 or 4 of them in the obverse fields behind the portrait. The coin shows full unbroken cartwheel lustre but is flat in the hair and in some of the decoration on the veil. It's a matter of conjecture as to whether that's wear or just weakness. PCGS decided it was wear. In hand the coin would be an easy MS64, without the hairlines, perhaps higher. If, buts, and maybes though, it's still a very pretty coin.
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see AU on the obverse, sure looks MS. Could it possibly be the toning breaks on the reverse? Are you sure there's no luster break in those spots, like under pence? Just judging from the photo, you obviously have a better vantage point.
  • mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't see AU on the obverse, sure looks MS. Could it possibly be the toning breaks on the reverse? Are you sure there's no luster break in those spots, like under pence? Just judging from the photo, you obviously have a better vantage point. >>

You could be right!
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice coin. image

Hoard the keys.
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO toning breaks = fingerprints. Modest hairlines that you have a bit of a strain picking can still go 62-63...And I have seen higher.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.