Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grade revealed on a recent Missouri 2x4 pick up, thanks for the participation

From the PCGS Coinfacts website:

"David Hall: The Missouri 2X4 is one of the key issues in the silver commemorative series. (See my narrative for the "plain" Missouri...coin #9330...for the story of the Missouri issue and the controversy over their mintage figures.) Missouri 2X4s range in grade from AU to MS65 on average. The MS65s are rare and Superb Gem MS66 examples are very rare. Missouri 2X4s can be frosty or toned. Frosty, original examples are definitely the exception. And the toned Missouris can often be dull and unattractive. The premium specimens are the frosty white or the attractively toned pieces."

This recent addition to my collection definitely falls under the category of: "Frosty, original examples are definitely the exception."

Frosty, original, and booming luster, in-hand.

What say you, on the given grade?

imageimage
image...There's always time for coin collecting. image

Comments

• Options
    Hello,

I don't know anything about this coin - my WAG is 62-64 if indeed not 55/58. Fields appear to have a sculptured effect and also die polish and some hits and it is hard to gauge it all. More importantly, I need to eat (and not grade immediately after...). Many guys in my old pool room we treated to lunch before afternoon 4 handed Chicago. I digress.

"...The MS65s are rare and Superb Gem MS66..."

When did 66 start being called Superb Gem - Gem used to be 67 only oh so many years ago, with Choice for 65 (Select was 63). I admit I don't recall the "slipping down" of this adjective though.

Eric

Edit for clarity: It is an honest question. Superb Gem was, once, north of 67 nearing what was called "theoretical 70" (because Gem was once 67, 65 was Choice, 63 was Select, 60 was BU/Basal State etc.) I wonder how many newbies know of this change in terminology.
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hello,

I don't know anything about this coin - my WAG is 62-64 if indeed not 55/58. Fields appear to have a sculptured effect and also die polish and some hits and it is hard to gauge it all. More importantly, I need to eat (and not grade immediately after...). Many guys in my old pool room we treated to lunch before afternoon 4 handed Chicago. I digress.

"...The MS65s are rare and Superb Gem MS66..."

When did 66 start being called Superb Gem - Gem used to be 67 only oh so many years ago, with Choice for 65 (Select was 63). I admit I don't recall the "slipping down" of this adjective though.

Eric >>

Hey Eric, thanks, and I appreciate and welcome any & all feedback... but, image Anyway, next comment...
  • Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    64 wag
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin!

Don't know much about these, but it looks gemmy to me. 65
  • Options

This is a very pretty coin and others agree the grade is decent - perhaps Gem.
    With nothing against this particular coin, why do these coins always look dipped and (naturally) retoned to me? Some Mint process?
    Is this "frosty" to you, or is this frosty for this coin? When I hear frosty I picture the semi-matte ice ("frost") on the inside of a freezer.

Eric
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭
    Not my series at all, but mark free and blazing luster, should at least be 65 or higher. Pretty coin. image
  • Options
    It looks fairly mark free but there appears to be a lot of tiny overall chatter for a 65 grade IMHO. I'll stick with my guess of 64 max. I don't say this coin is dipped - I was wondering why these coins can have that look. I do not know the original packaging for this one.

Eric
  • Options
    Any more grade guesses or feedback on this Sunday morning? image
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the look of that coin quite a bit. Much nicer than the majority of (blotchy) toned ones
    I've seen over the years. Would guess 64+ on the grade, shot 65.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll say 66.
    The marks I see are tiny and scattered.
    I hope the overall look carries it.
    Excellent pic of you most excellent commem.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I call it MS 65. Nice looking Missouri.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    63. No heavy marks, but lots of little ones, especially on the reverse. That said, it is an attractive coin, and with the combo of frost, originality, and boom, it's not your run-of-the-mill 63.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS63....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it and see as a 64

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    58+ what do I win image
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    It's ok, but I am surprised by the lack of color. You always seem to favor coins with lots of it.image
    Becky
  • Options
    Some micro-grading going on I think. I'm tempted to lean toward 64 myself but then I zoomed out on the rather large photo. I say 66.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based strictly on the posted photos I would say AU58. There appears to be light rubbing on the high points on both the obverse and reverse.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm thinking MS64/65 from the images and write up.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    In the past, I've owned a Missouri 2x4 in PCGS MS65 and two different examples in PCGS MS64. This old rattler MS63 is nicer than all three of those.
    This coin was slabbed during the era when there was an astronomical difference in price between a MS63 and MS64, not to mention in MS65.

imageimage
  • Options
    A neat coin in a really neat holder. I agree that it is nicer than a 63, and would have guessed 64.
    No good deed goes unpunished

carolinacollectorcoins.com
  • Options
    JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    If it looks as good in real life, it's a 2 point upgrade IMO.

John

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, maybe I should have cracked it instead of selling it....
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hmm, maybe I should have cracked it instead of selling it.... >>

Depends on if you sold it for 65 money or not. image
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Hmm, maybe I should have cracked it instead of selling it.... >>

Depends on if you sold it for 65 money or not. image >>

Good point! Actually, a coin like that will always trade for more than 63 money, so all's fair.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always swing for the fence on guess the grade posts.
    As usual, I whiffed with 66. image

To me the only thing that matters with this coin is that the holder states MS and not AU which some saw as a possibility.

After that, the number seems insignificant. This coin speaks for itself and has a certain swagger to it.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a point of information, the "gem" Missouris with marked-up or scratched cheek on the obverse should not be graded higher than 64.

This is a really nice coin with a nice clean cheek, an MS64 a few years ago, and a 65+ in the new pronged holder

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a comparison, this one grades MS-64 in a plain PCGS holder (slabbed 10 to 12 years ago.). The strike on these coins is such that there are dull spots on Boone's upper back on the reverse and on the cheek on the obverse. These are due to the fact that the metal did not quite flow into the dies completely when the coins were struck. I don't think that it is true wear or a rub.

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

Nice coin.

Leave it in the holder and go for the gold.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    omg- leave this one in the holder

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As a point of information, the "gem" Missouris with marked-up or scratched cheek on the obverse should not be graded higher than 64.

This is a really nice coin with a nice clean cheek, an MS64 a few years ago, and a 65+ in the new pronged holder >>

Great looking coin and info. It's nice to see 2x4s and some of the more unusual classic commems.

I wonder if this would do better with in the current holder with a bean or in a 65+ new holder.
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Very nice example dizzyfoxx.

Along same lines with what BillJones said it can be a deceiving coin, the rest of the coin will look fantastic
    but the cheek of the obverse and left shoulder & upper arm of reverse will bring the grade down.

Anthony Swiatek has interesting comment in his Encyclopedia of the Commemorative Coins of the US:

Sometimes a seller believes he or she posseses more of a coin than they really do. I know of examples of
    both strikings
    [the 2x2 and 2x4] that have been submitted more than 29 times each, in hopes of an upgrade.
    The labels were cast away...I would reduce both population figures
    [MS64 and MS65] between 26% and 29%.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file