Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New book, Experiments on Aluminum Coinage by Kevin Flynn

The Experiments on Aluminum Coinage book by Kevin Flynn is available now. The book is 8 ½ by 11, 60 pages. Softcover $22.95.

The U.S. Mint experimented with aluminum in coinage from 1855 through 1975, but it never used it in production for our coinage. For coinage, aluminum has many benefits over other metals, it has a low density making it light, when it is exposed to air it forms a thin layer of oxide that adds a protective layer, greatly improving its resistance to corrosion, and is durable, making it more resilient to wear. Aluminum is the most abundant element in Earth’s crust, but is almost always found in combined states with other metals. The evolution in the process of separating aluminum into a pure state is important to the consideration and cost of using aluminum in coinage.

Many archive records were uncovered that show why the Mint was testing different metals and the results of the Mint testing with aluminum in coinage. These help us understand why some of the decisions were made. Other archive records provide details on how many patterns were struck in aluminum. For example, up to now, it was believed that only four 1868 aluminum proof sets were struck. Records clearly show that 11 sets were struck.

As all aluminum coinage, except for the 1974 aluminum cent, was struck as patterns, this book studies the production of patterns in general during this period on their production and distribution. For example, an important question is why were aluminum patterns struck for denomination for each year between 1868 and 1875. Was the Mint striking to test this alloy or simply striking patterns for sale to collectors, or striking them for Mint personal? This book explores all aspects of the Mint’s experimenting with aluminum for coinage.

As this is a very specific subject, only a 100 softcovers will be printed in the first printing. Retail for the softcover is $22.95. To order, send a check or money order to Kevin Flynn, P.O. Box 396, Lumberton, NJ 08048. Please include $5 for media shipping or $10 for first class shipping.
Kevin J Flynn

Comments

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the post.

Aluminum is a great coinage material for extremely small denominations like the nickel (5c) US coin
    and would make a great alternative.

ttt
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Years ago, I asked (for a friend) if there was any record of a 1971 aluminum cent (since he found one) and was told no record exists. He still has that cent.... sure looks real to me. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the post.

Aluminum is a great coinage material for extremely small denominations like the nickel (5c) US coin

ttt >>

I'm not sure a nickel in Al would be cost effective. In the 2012 annual report a nickel cost them about 10 cents to make and distribute. The numbers would be close. It might be, tho, just barely.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Thanks for the post.

ttt >>

I'm not sure a nickel in Al would be cost effective. In the 2012 annual report a nickel cost them about 10 cents to make and distribute. The numbers would be close. It might be, tho, just barely. >>

In my opinion the nickel should simply be demonetized and used strictly for making change. This means
    the first thing you do is convert to aluminum. I'd guess a pound of alumium would make about 150 nickels
    meaning a metal cost of less than 1c. Coining costs would decrease due to longer die life. Total cost would
    be marginally less than a nickel (5c). This would give the government time to gather in as many old nickels
    as possible and lift the melting ban. The government would get a lot of the value of the copper and nickel
    value since these make superb chill scrap in the production of stainless steel. You may not have noticed but
    stainless is far lower quality than a few years ago because nickel is in short supply still. After the old coins
    have been returned than the size of the aluminum 5c coin should be reduced about 50% to save metal costs.

This is unlikely to happen because the government doesn't mind wasting dollars even by the billion so they
    have no interest in saving pennies by the million or having a workable currency system. Instead we'll prob-
    ably have more of the same ol', same ol'.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    kevinjkevinj Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Years ago, I asked (for a friend) if there was any record of a 1971 aluminum cent (since he found one) and was told no record exists. He still has that cent.... sure looks real to me. Cheers, RickO >>

In 1971, the U.S. Mint was striking aluminum coinage for Nepal and the Philippines, there are a handful of planchets that accidently got struck with dies for U.S. coins.
    One is a 1971-S Lincoln cent, weight .075 grams. That sold at Heritage for $8,050

I have a friend who has a 1971-S proof aluminum cent. Imagine how rare and what that would sell for now. Proofs are suppose to be processed in part by hand, you would think it would be caught.

Kevin
    Kevin J Flynn

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file