Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are We Being "Force Fed" to collect Chinese Coins??

ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
Seems from many fronts high priced Chinese coins are being paraded by. I think the Numi$matic Indu$try is attempting to make us want these things. Anyone else sense that?

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Seems from many fronts high priced Chinese coins are being paraded by. I think the Numi$matic Indu$try is attempting to make us want these things. Anyone else sense that? >>

I've noticed the same thing. I have no interest in Chinese coins so they are wasting their time.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Seems from many fronts high priced Chinese coins are being paraded by. I think the Numi$matic Indu$try is attempting to make us want these things. Anyone else sense that? >>

I've noticed the same thing. I have no interest in Chinese coins so they are wasting their time. >>

x2
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no interest in collecting Chinese coins because their government has no interest in stemming the flow of Chinese made counterfeit American coins from coming into this country. I would study Chinese history, but I have no interest in doing it via their coinage.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

<< <i>I have no interest in collecting Chinese coins because their government has no interest in stemming the flow of Chinese made counterfeit American coins from coming into this country. I would study Chinese history, but I have no interest in doing it via their coinage. >>

This and their human rights violations.

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a lot of Chinese cash coins, brought over in the 60's. I think prices now are even lower than then on some issues due to massive quantities being found (and likely made).
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    China has many beautiful coin designs and an intriguing history. But I have no interest in collecting their coins. Lots of reasons. Among them is the fear of buying a Chinese counterfeit Chinese coin.
    Lance.
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Chinese are happy for you to stay out image

I believe they are more than willing to let PF69DCAM Pandas float, but the more emergent nationalism, combined with the Maoist destruction of their monetary infrastructure, has focused demand. Fewer cultural artifacts for burgeoning capitalists to contend for.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    If "I" were at the helm (of a business with folks that need pleasing) I'd be "force feeding" whatever my market demographic data tells me you will eat. I'd be looking to go wherever the numbers are.
    I'd not do all that, but other might.

Eric
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no one is forcing me not to buy.... or buy.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154
    "Forcing" me to collect? What an odd question.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I generally ignore the Numi$matic Indu$try, so I haven't noticed.
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Some of their modern bullion pieces are absolutely stunning with very limited mintages.

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have no interest in collecting Chinese coins because their government has no interest in stemming the flow of Chinese made counterfeit American coins from coming into this country. I would study Chinese history, but I have no interest in doing it via their coinage. >>

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    seems that the numismatic industry has an agenda to expand the scope of the industry, cant blame them, they figure if these collectors are dumb enough to buy all the junk that the mint sells, just create a market by telling everyone to buy something. this rarely affects those of us that think for ourselves.
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    How is anyone being force fed? Are there people going around to collectors' homes and making them read about Chinese coins against their will, or what?
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I am going to be forced to collect Chinese coins, I want egg roll with it!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154
    I wonder if this guy is collecting the way he should now?

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    How about being force fed Olympic coins or William and Kate UK coins? Stupid is as stupid does. People collect these things because they like them. Yes, clever marketing does sometimes work, but marketing is the main reason for being for the grading companies (aka marketing companies). Everyone here is in a TPG sponsored forum. Have we all been force fed?

My vote is dumbest thread in a while.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A customer called me in 2009 or '10... Cannot recall.
    Sold me a set from the 1990 Hong Kong convention. It's soooooo beautiful. When did the U.S. make it's first Bi-metallic coins ? And clad doesn't count. And I don't mean ALLOY (gr),
    I mean ALLONS (fr.) Ain't no forcefeeding on anything collectible.

And before I go off track (trains), let me just add the Orient Express.... let's face the facts that "global" wealth shifts, but marketing stays the same. TARGET MARKETING
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"Forcing" me to collect? What an odd question. >>

+1
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have no interest in Chinese coins so they are wasting their time. >>

x2 >>

x3

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I can't protect stupid/lazy people or should I/we that buy anything and everything that is simply put infront of them, including but not limited to: homeshopping network products, presecription drugs of all sorts, over the counter meds of all sorts, civil lawyers that sue big corp nn their so-called class action litigation lawsuits ffor taking prescription drugs for all sorts of conditions, nutriblenders, etc. I hate when the gov't tries to help protect them too with our tax dollars. There will always be stupid/lazy people every where you turn. No one is forced to buy anything! >>

one of my favorite posts by you thus far imageimage

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭✭

I honestly had not noticed.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How about being force fed Olympic coins or William and Kate UK coins? Stupid is as stupid does. People collect these things because they like them. Yes, clever marketing does sometimes work, but marketing is the main reason for being for the grading companies (aka marketing companies). Everyone here is in a TPG sponsored forum. Have we all been force fed?

My vote is dumbest thread in a while. >>

Almost; "Does owning a chinese coin make you a subpar numismatist?" There now its one of the the dumbest three threads ever.
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

Paper Tiger or Plastic w/sticker ? What are you going to do ? LQQK, Study, Listen to the Music. Follow the money trail. Love your neighbor. But .... be very careful with whom you conduct business. Every customer is different, but this is the U.S. Coin Forum and

And HELL NO WE AIN'T being FORCE FED.

So how about some kindling, for the pig who built his house with straw ?
    What are you building your house with ?
    I would highly suggest the Gold Buffalo and Gold Spouse coins in 24K.

If FORCE FEEDING, Let's make it nourishing.
  • Options

<< <i>Stacks e newsletter Coin week/ pcgs Coin news/ Heritage >>

Newsletters/websites writing articles about rare coins = being force fed?

I don't see it.

edited to add...

Stacks e newsletter- August 2013... Well, that's pretty current.
    Coin week/ pcgs- May 20, 2013... Three month old article- okay.
    Coin news/ Heritage- August 9, 2011... Two years ago? Has the force feeding been going on that long? image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I collect/buy what I like, immune to external influence (for example, I do not like tarnished coins - ergo, will not buy them). Perhaps the sheeple are influenced, after all, the home shopping network and TV coin shows have their following... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My interest is zero.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    The term "force fed" isn't the best choice of words to describe what you are saying---"hyped" would be a more accurate.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Stacks e newsletter Coin week/ pcgs Coin news/ Heritage MCW >>

I agree this is an odd question. It seems normal for auction houses and certification firms to highlight unique, classic, highly collectible coins that are in demand and sell for $$$. Would you say the highlighting of certain upcoming US coins at auction is being force fed US coins? Would you say Stacks is force feeding people Hard Times Tokens? Or that MCW is force feeding people ASEs?

My guess is that there is more collector interest that is resulting in higher auction prices which, in turn, has led to the articles on the coins. What auction house wouldn't want to highlight an upcoming possible $1m coin?
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like China nor their coins!!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    I would have little interest, not to say zero interest forevermore, but don't see myself getting into Chinese coinage. I've got enough going on with US and Commonwealth darkside stuff as it is!
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Stacks e newsletter Coin week/ pcgs Coin news/ Heritage MCW >>

Ambro, I am not sure what you are getting at but the first three links highlight three individual coins that are numismatically quite significant. It should not be surprising they should get attention. The other link is to a website selling a great deal of Chinese bullion. I don't see the issue. We may be seeing greater exposure, and yes, interest, in Chinese coins because there are more and more people in China and East Asia with disposable income and an interest in numismatics.

At any rate, I cannot figure out why you find Qing dynasty coinage and silver bullion so offensive.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you mean Chinese fake US coins.image
  • Options
    The 1911 ten cash piece is one of my favorites among the milled coins of the Qing Empire. PCGS has some excellent images here:

1911 Ten Cash

• Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    The forum Negative Nellies might not want to buy Chinese coins but that doesn't mean the rest of the world feels the same way. Sellers wouldn't be advertising their Chinese coins if people didn't want them. People forget the numismatic world does not begin and end with the PCGS forum, their local club show nor is it exclusively contained in the U.S. The fact that the largest coin convention in the US, the ANA convention, was hard pressed to draw 9000 attendees while the Shanghai coin shows can draw over 100,000 in four days speaks for itself. While the people in China might not have as much disposable money per capita yet as their U.S. counterparts, the fact that there are 100,000 potential buyers as opposed to 9000 (with millions more on the internet) is a fact that can't be ignored.

Chinese numismatic material has a potential gigantic sized demand market and sellers want to exploit that. Can't blame them.

On the point of "force feeding" if people really feel that way, consider what the media does in the U.S. with soccer, the British royal family, the Kardashians and Donald Trump. Although Chinese coins aren't my specialty, I still care about Chinese coins (and all coins of the world) while I could give a rat's behind about the British royal family. As for the Kardashians, you and I might cringe every time they're mentioned but the fact is every time E! airs one of their shows their ratings nearly double. Like the sellers who feature Chinese coins, E! is merely giving the majority what they want although the much smaller minority might not approve.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    Those coin show attendance figures really put things in perspective!
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>WTCG: The fact that the largest coin convention in the US, the ANA convention, was hard pressed to draw 9000 attendees while the Shanghai coin shows can draw over 100,000 in four days speaks for itself. While the people in China might not have as much disposable money per capita yet as their U.S. counterparts, the fact that there are 100,000 potential buyers as opposed to 9000 (with millions more on the internet) is a fact that can't be ignored. >>

<< <i>sumnom: Those coin show attendance figures really put things in perspective! >>

Very impressive numbers. I wonder if coin collecting is considered 'cool' in China?
  • Options
    People have been collecting coins in China for a very long time. I don't know how far back it goes, though. I do have a reprint of an early twentieth-century two-volume reference work on Chinese numismatics so it's been a thing for at least that long.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Force fed?

Really?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    High pressure seeks low as on page 1.

Eric
  • Options

<< <i>MCW >>

A dealer's website offering coins from all over the world is evidence of Chinese coins being force fed to you? Just a quick look at the site and it's clear there are over ten categories of US coins being offered vs. only one for Chinese coins. Seems to me that using your conclusion of evidence for force feeding, it's US coins that are being force fed here, wouldn't you say? image
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I could give a rat's behind about the British royal family. >>

But they're on the coins I collect!
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>MCW >>

A dealer's website offering coins from all over the world is evidence of Chinese coins being force fed to you? Just a quick look at the site and it's clear there are over ten categories of US coins being offered vs. only one for Chinese coins. Seems to me that using your conclusion of evidence for force feeding, it's US coins that are being force fed here, wouldn't you say? image >>

Looks like pretty good eatin' to me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file