Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question about spotting on ATB "round pucks"

MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
The .999 ASEs are famous (or notorious) for spotting. The ATB 5 ounce "rounds" are also .999 silver. Is there a record of them spotting after they have been encapsulated?

Thanks in advance.
Mark

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The .999 ASEs are famous (or notorious) for spotting. The ATB 5 ounce "rounds" are also .999 silver. Is there a record of them spotting after they have been encapsulated?

Thanks in advance. >>

They are not rounds. They are legal tender US coins produced by the US Mint.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    PerryHall:

Thanks for correction. Now ... do they spot?
    Mark

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't seen tons of them, but I've seen spotting on some of the bullion versions. Haven't seen spotting on the Satin Finish P-Mint ones sold by the Mint.

• Options
    i had two that spotted. 2010 bullion versions that were in PCGS slabs. the collector versions are vapor blasted(or something similar) and probably not have the problem.
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options

<< <i>PerryHall:

Thanks for correction. Now ... do they spot? >>

When you called them "rounds" it sounded like you were disparaging them in addition to being technically wrong. I've been collecting the collector version with the P mintmark and I haven't yet seen any spotting.

• Options
    PerryHall:

I certainly did not mean to sound disparaging because I am on the mint's subscription list for them. image I like them but I was (an am) worried about spotting. Are yours encapsulated or in the government holders?
    Mark

• Options

<< <i>PerryHall:

I certainly did not mean to sound disparaging because I am on the mint's subscription list for them. image I like them but I was (an am) worried about spotting. Are yours encapsulated or in the government holders? >>

Gottcha. Mine are in their original government packaging. Let's just agree to call them by their proper term---"pucks". imageimage

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was packing and noticed a bullion one that had a dark toning spot on it already. it was <69 already, anyway.

I've returned a few numis-pucks with what I'll call chocolate milk spots on them. Some light brown stain was on it. Once I return some so many times (3) they refused to take returns on it any more.(sent me a letter!) all had those chocolate milk spots somewhere on them.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chocolate spots?? Have not heard about this phenomena.... wonder if the acetone bath when new would prevent this also....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They arrive that way and no luck removing them with acetone.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>They arrive that way and no luck removing them with acetone. >>

Sounds like tarnish which acetone won't remove. Did you try dipping them (e-z-est, tarnex, etc)?

• Options
    PerryHall:

How is the new title on the thread?? imageimageimage

It's dismaying to read of "chocolate spots." I guess I will have to check mine frequently (which are also in their government folders).
    Mark

• Options

<< <i>PerryHall:

How is the new title on the thread?? imageimageimage

It's dismaying to read of "chocolate spots." I guess I will have to check mine frequently (which are also in their government folders). >>

Looks good.image Hopefully those chocolate spots aren't a result of the foil tearing away.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file