Home U.S. Coin Forum

Coin shops in DC area?

coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just moved here and would like to visit a couple!

Comments

• mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Isn't Julian's store pretty close? Near Baltimore I think.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    anything in Alexandria?
  • MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a few coin shops in the National Capital Region. As noted, Julian Leidman's shop (Bonanza Coins) is in Silver Spring, Maryland.

But living there will make it relatively easy for you to attend some good coin shows - Baltimore; Annandale, Virginia; Vienna, Virginia; Richmond, Virginia, etc.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Julian's shop in silver spring - Bonanza coins
    Capitol Coin in DC
    The Mint counters
    Gaithersburg Coin Exchange
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭
    Don't believe there is anything Alexandria. There is a small shop in Springfield and another in Vienna.
  • tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There are a few coin shops in the National Capital Region. As noted, Julian Leidman's shop (Bonanza Coins) is in Silver Spring, Maryland.

But living there will make it relatively easy for you to attend some good coin shows - Baltimore; Annandale, Virginia; Vienna, Virginia; Richmond, Virginia, etc. >>

Julian's is just over the DC line. It's nowhere near Baltimore unless you want a hour or longer's drive.

Unfortunately, as for other stores in the local DC area, IMHO, there is a very steep drop off after Julian's.

• wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭
    John, welcome to town. Hope to see you at a local show soon. Please stop by my booth and say hi as I'd love to finally meet you. Would be glad to help dial you in you the local coin scene and I am quite sure we would have something in your area of interest when you are ready to shop.
  • EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There are a few coin shops in the National Capital Region. As noted, Julian Leidman's shop (Bonanza Coins) is in Silver Spring, Maryland.

But living there will make it relatively easy for you to attend some good coin shows - Baltimore; Annandale, Virginia; Vienna, Virginia; Richmond, Virginia, etc. >>

I was living (Stafford, VA) and working (Pentagon) in the NCR for the last 6 years but recently moved. Julian's shop is fine. Kennedy's Stamps & Coins at 7059 Brookfield Plz in Springfield is worth checking out...he's got a lot of stuff and he doesn't set up at shows so you won't see him unless you visit his B&M. There's also a B&M in Fredericksburg (S&W) but it isn't worth a long trip.

As for shows, Baltimore is a no-brainer. The VNA show (in Fredericksburg this year I think) is also very good. Annandale, Alexandria, and Richmond are okay, but nothing special. And IMO Vienna isn't worth the trip and the hassle due to traffic, parking and the venue, not to mention you'll see most of the same dealers at the other shows.

Baltimore is the best coin town in the nation IMO, so I wouldn't miss a show if I were you. It is the thing I miss the most about DC. Enjoy! image
    I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I visited a small one while in Bethesda, MD... Edit: Remembered name... Maryland Stamps & Coins.

Link

Erik
  • coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks folks! Appreciate the time and advice. Look forward to meeting you all in person.

Might head out to Springfield today to check one out.

V.r,
    John
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Julian's shop in silver spring - Bonanza coins
    Capitol Coin in DC
    The Mint counters
    Gaithersburg Coin Exchange >>

this works image
  • droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    Latherow & Co. in Arlington, my old childhood haunt now 50+ years in business. No idea what it's like anymore but the fact that they're still in business says something.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file