Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Charmy's BIG HUMONGOUS 2013 Chicago ANA Report w/TONS of Pics!!!

2»

Comments

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done and congrats! Now that you've done it (posted a photo of a Mercury Dime in your show report) you should make it a permanent fixture of all future show reports. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Is it just me or couldn't you stand that gold bar on its end and pull it right through that hole?

>>

• Options
    FunwithMPLFunwithMPL Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    Charmy,

Great report and your exhibit was Best of Show in my book.

Collector
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great Show Report Almost felt Like I was there, Oh wait I was and it was nice seeing your display and meeting you..... Congrats On the Awards...............Enjoy image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Charmy - It was a wonderful exhibit, congratulations. Also, another top flight report.
    Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880
    Girlfriend, you do set the bar high with your show reports. Congratulations on your awards.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As always a great report, and congratulations on your great success in the exhibits. I'm sure it was rewarding to have your work recognized like that.

I think Oreville hit on a topic for your next exhibit. "How to have fun in Numismatics!" Your show reports ought to provide a bounty of content for that.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome report Charmy...thank you for the detail and pictures. Congratulations on well deserved awards - just looking at the pictures of your displays I can definitely say they are well deserved. The wines you pictured look excellent, I will look for a bottle of Cult based on your recommendation. Well done, I am truly happy for you. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭
    Charmy,

You took an EXCELLENT picture of me!!! Thanks.

BTW, I did not give you all that exonumia. I gave you some advice for the poker table.

It was an absolute pleasure to see you at the show, and once again congratulations on your well-deserved awards for your exhibit.

Greg
  • Options
    TassaTassa Posts: 2,373 ✭✭
    Great report. Looks like a lot of fun.
  • Options
    TURBOTURBO Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    Amazing report! CONGRATS!!!
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    People use the word "love" all the time and really don't mean it, but I LOVE your show reports.

Thank you for taking the time to do this for us folks who can't travel to shows.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Charmy,

You took an EXCELLENT picture of me!!! Thanks.

BTW, I did not give you all that exonumia. I gave you some advice for the poker table.

It was an absolute pleasure to see you at the show, and once again congratulations on your well-deserved awards for your exhibit.

Greg >>

That was Dennis Forgue, from Harlan J Berk who gave her the exonumia, I believe. He's an awesome guy and extremely knowledgeable, has been full-time into numismatics since '68 and partly, well before then. image
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As an ANA Judge, I can tell you all that
    Charmy 1,000% deserved the "First Exhibit"
    Award she won.

I was incredibly impressed with her exhibit -
    from the layout, text, graphics, and on and on.

I couldn't believe it was her first time exhibiting -
    but when she told me that she took a class at
    the Summer ANA on Exhibiting, I knew she had
    absorbed absolutely everything they taught at
    that class!

It was simply a superb ANA exhibit, and my congrats
    to her for ALL the awards she deservidly won.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    Wonderful Trip! now I don't have to go on a vacation.image
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    Awesome! Another amazing show report. Thanks Charmy!
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    Great stuff!

I gotta say , that's a lotta booze young lady!image
  • Options
    ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭
    Another terrific show report. I actually got to view Charmy's award winning exhibit at the show and thought it was well done.
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations on the exhibit awards! As always a great report with lots of elcomed photos to allow those of who were not there to share in the excitement and fun. Thanks for including that PCGS MS 65 High Relief Saint - brought back memories of my 65 that I sold in a Bowers auction back before the CAC option was available. I will have to look up the PCGS number to see if it is the same coin.
  • Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭✭
    Great report! Thank you.

Larry L.

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Options
    GoldysCCGoldysCC Posts: 20 ✭✭
    --Goldy
  • Options
    GoldysCCGoldysCC Posts: 20 ✭✭
    I REALLY like the VERY HAPPY photo of yourself. Thanks, Charmy!
    --Goldy
  • Options
    Time to hear from a prominent exhibitor.

That exhibit was so damned awesome (and I think I can claim I ought to know), that I thought you could well be the first exhibitor to take Best Of Show AND People's Choice while also winning Best First Time Exhibitor. (Many have won their first time, but not while getting People's Choice too.) This is the closest I've seen anyone get to pulling off The Trifecta.

(Ironically I have never won any of the awards you did get--never took first runner up (though I have three bronzes for second runner up!), never won people's choice, and certainly wasn't the best first time exhibitor, not with that crappy exhibit I put up in 1998 I wasn't!)

One minor nit though; your picture of me shows me holding the lead die trial of the Steven J. D'Ippolito award, which is the Best of Show award at the Spring shows. I did show you a Howland Wood award, but that's not what the picture is of.

And I will repeat what I said to you while you were tearing down: don't even think of not exhibiting again!

http://steveoncoins.wordpress.com/2013/08/20/ana-chicago-2013/Text
    ANA LM 6100
    Howland Wood winner 2005-2007
    Candidate for the ANA Board of Governors 2013-2015
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Steve - and everyone else! I am still quite overwhelmed about the response to my exhibit, I seriously had no idea my Penny Potpourri exhibit would be that appealing to so many. I have been asked to exhibit it at other shows, which I am considering doing, with a few new pieces and expanding it to 6 cases so it won't look too crowded. My next big show is the Long Beach show the end of September, so if you make it to that show, perhaps you'll see my exhibit there!
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i love the 1916 d mercury dime. wicked nice picks charmy.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great ANA report Charmy and congratulations on the 1st place exhibit image
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thank you Steve - and everyone else! I am still quite overwhelmed about the response to my exhibit, I seriously had no idea my Penny Potpourri exhibit would be that appealing to so many. I have been asked to exhibit it at other shows, which I am considering doing, with a few new pieces and expanding it to 6 cases so it won't look too crowded. My next big show is the Long Beach show the end of September, so if you make it to that show, perhaps you'll see my exhibit there! >>

Glad to hear that. To tell the truth I really enjoyed seeing your pennies as they were exhibited - I assume for sale- in your display case at a show I was able to attend in California some years ago. They made for an interesting display even then so by my analysis, this is a display you have been working on for a number of years. image
  • Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Glad to hear that. To tell the truth I really enjoyed seeing your pennies as they were exhibited - I assume for sale- in your display case at a show I was able to attend in California some years ago. They made for an interesting display even then so by my analysis, this is a display you have been working on for a number of years. image >>

Actually, I don't sell my exonumia pieces, I just collect them. I have displayed some of the pieces in my showcase now and then, mostly because I thought they were so interesting, and they did get some attention from others. But it never occurred to me to put together a formal exhibit of these penny creations until earlier this year after I wrote an article on penny exonumia and realized I had accumulated quite a few different pieces. Since the article seemed to be well received, that's when I thought about putting my pieces all together in an exhibit. But I really had no idea what I was getting myself into by choosing to do my first exhibit at the World's Fair of Money and was thinking it was no big deal - that is, until I took the exhibiting class. That's when I really knew I was in way over my head! image
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    that medallion stuck onto the top of that Best in Show certificate looks very cool.... must be heavy...
  • Options
    CMCARTCMCART Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭
    Great reportimage
    Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)
    5$ bills are WOW with the numbers - wanted:
    Wanted - Flipper notes with the numbers 6-9 or 0-6-9 ON 1$ 2$ 5$ 10$ 20$
    Wanted - 10$ Sereis 2013 - fancy Serial Numbers
  • Options
    duck620duck620 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭
    "WOW"! ONE OF YOUR BEST REPORTS OF ALL TIME. ANOTHER BLUE RIBBON REPORT.

THANKS..............................KEN.
  • Options

<< <i>
    That's when I really knew I was in way over my head! image >>

You were in over your head about like your basic fish is in over its head.
    ANA LM 6100
    Howland Wood winner 2005-2007
    Candidate for the ANA Board of Governors 2013-2015
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    84!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file