Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

My coin from Poland "returned to sender"

On August 5th, I purchased a coin from a seller on eBay who was in Poland. It was not a high dollar coin (we're talking $30 or so), but as per the rules it was sent Registered Mail to me (I live in Minnesota). I noticed that the tracking on the USPS website had "updated" with the following message:

----------------------------------------------
Processed Through Sort Facility
August 8, 2013, 1:18 pm
ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)
Registered Mail™
----------------------------------------------

I thought "wow, that's really quick, I should get this in another few days". Well, no such luck. Today the seller in Poland contacted me and told me that the small package was stamped "RETOUR" (i.e., return to sender), and that he had received it back in his mail box today. There was no other message as to why it was returned, and he said it had clearly not even been opened to inspect the contents.

I called the USPS help line this morning to ask if they could offer any insight. Well, the first strike was when the line was answered by an almost unintelligible non-native English speaker with an Indian accent so thick I could barely understand her. Mind you, I work in a position where I interact with non-native English speakers daily, and I speak three languages -- so I'm not just being a curmudgeon here complaining. Second strike was when she proceeded to ask for the tracking number, and read back to me the exact status from the USPS online tracking site that I could read for myself (posted above). I then asked if there was anything that I could recommend for the seller in Poland to do to make it more likely that the package pass through NYC ISC with no problems -- she said, "just take your package to the post office and the teller will help you". I reminded her that I was the person who was to receive the package, not send it. She said she didn't have any ideas. Seriously, strike three, I gave up.

My question is this: Has anyone else had problems receiving packages from Eastern European countries (i.e., small bubble mailers mailed via Registered Mail)?? I have had zero problems before today, with successful packages received from France, Italy, Germany, the Netherlands, England, etc.

And, follow-up question: Should I suggest anything for the seller to do to improve the chances that the package will make it through on the 2nd go around?

This is very frustrating. To complicate matters, when I got a quoted rate for a "small package" via UPS or DHL it was astronomical -- Far more than the contents of the package were worth to begin with.

Thanks for any advice.

-Brandon
-Brandon
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Comments

• Options
    maybe there is no customs declaration
    jetblack740il

==================================

Complete US-PHIL Coins for Sale, Circulation Strikes 1903-1945
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    I'd "cut & paste" your post and send it to the USPS. They must have some place to send these problems to be answered in writing.
    Paul
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have problems with E. Europe only mailing clothing to my sister there, otherwise I receive packages all the time from Ukraine with no problems. I have to think that new baby clothes end up in bazaar somewhere after being "liberated" by Boris in the post office.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Good point , jetblack
    If there was no CN 22 customs declaration form or similar on the parcel , it will be send back to the sender.
    I received many parcels registered , from (former) East block countries
    they all came through.(to the Netherlands) but they all had the proper customs forms attached.
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.