Options

Another "Guess the Grade" --This time, a Seated Half... -Slab pic is now up

dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
What say you on this one? image

image...There's always time for coin collecting. image

Comments

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Ass Coin! Without seeing it in hand for sure a 55 and probably a 58! Could go higher in hand!
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    WOW ! ! !
    A real beauty there

58?

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice! AU58
  • Options
    I don't see the rub. 63
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    58... 62... somewhere in there.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options

<< <i>Nice Ass Coin! Without seeing it in hand for sure a 55 and probably a 58! Could go higher in hand! >>

58 CAC Gold
    Just do it.
  • Options

<< <i>Who cares! How much? image >>

My 'ole friend! Someone who I respect, whole-heartedly! image
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in the AU58 camp few too many marks under the toning not of circulated I think.
  • Options
    I grade it two thumbs up.

merse

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    63 - nice look. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think 55...but worth more !
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

I can see it in either a 58 - or - a 63 holder.
    If there is rub, it's very slight and only on her lap.

My immediate reaction was 58 though. As Darrell said,
    it could go higher once in hand. I like it.

Great type coin... Congrats !
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    410a410a Posts: 1,325

I guess AU 58. Angle to the light helps with grading.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the obverse scratch, probably no more than MS61 if it even makes MS. I hope you did not pay more than AU or MS60 money for it.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Larry

• Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll guess AU55....
  • Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    I grade it : image NICE !
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    RonBRonB Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I grade it two thumbs up. >>

haha me too..

Guessing 58ish but so much nicer than any 62 out there..

-Ron
    Collector of Classic US Coins
  • Options
    And the grade is?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????///
  • Options
    RonBRonB Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great pics BTW did you take those?

-Ron
    Collector of Classic US Coins
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    63/64 coin due to some missing field luster, rub on Liberty's right leg/knee and upper arm. I've seen worse rub on other early NM seated halves in MS64. The Eliasberg 1861-s
    in MS64 comes to mind. That coin had a huge plateau effect on Lib's right leg.

I think they graded it 64 as the overall look and eye appeal is outstanding for an 1849 half. Very tough date to find with orig toning and a nice look. Most MS coins have been messed
    with. Can't recall seeing a better one though I know there are some graded higher out there. The best I ever found (and owned) back in the 1980's was a choice, no rub MS63. It was
    dipped too. Could have made MS64 today. A lot of luster on the drapery and even the reverse rim at 7-8:00 has luster on it....not something typically seen on AU's. In any case, not
    a coin I'd pay 63/64 money for because of the obvious rub. They can be found with a peaked right leg vs. plateaued.....but, it's not easy.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU58. Very nice
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU55 and gorgeous.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen that coin before, very nice! I don't remember the actual grade though, I'll say AU-55 with 65 eye appeal.
  • Options
    TrimeTrime Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
    Instant response is I buy it as a AU58 which is where it belongs. These often end up in a 62 market graded holder and may be there. Is it a higher grade I don't think so. The tick on the left arm facing is distracting I am not a great fan of this type of mottled toning.
    Trime
  • Options
  • Options
    Hey folks, thanks for all the grade guesses and input. I'm not able to upload the slabbed pic right now but I just wanted to disclose the grade. Believe it or not, it's currently housed in a very early green label with old font PCGS holder and is graded AU50. I definitely thought it was worthy of a much higher grade and I feel my thoughts have been verified by all of these appreciated comments.
  • Options
    Hey folks, thanks for all the grade guesses and input. I'm not able to upload the slabbed pic right now but I just wanted to disclose the grade. Believe it or not, it's currently housed in a very early green label with old font PCGS holder and is graded AU50. I definitely thought it was worthy of a much higher grade and I feel my thoughts have been verified by all of these appreciated comments.
  • Options
    Wow! An upgrade from 50 to 64 would be a record breaker! image
  • Options

<< <i>Wow! An upgrade from 50 to 64 would be a record breaker! image >>

If it's EVER going to happen, it WILL happen with this coin.
  • Options
    djdilliodondjdilliodon Posts: 1,938 ✭✭
    Resubmit that one! Worse case IMO it grades a 58 this time around. Best case I'd say 62.
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I grade it Beautiful!
  • Options
    I was the seller (my pics, too!) image

IMO, the coin was a lock 58, but I don't think it would grade MS.
  • Options
    50?????? Wow. I'd say 64 all day long. Really nice piece!
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    World's finest AU50. image

If the coin has essentially full field luster, it should grade MS. The photos don't show the fields perfectly but hard to say. The coloration (as seen in the photo) could be hiding
    the fact that the coin has 25-50% mint luster and not the higher % needed for a MS label. Great coin, even purchased as AU58. Very unusual for an AU50 coin to show 20% luster
    on a portion of the rim (rev rim fully lustrous from 6:30 to 8:30). Either this coin was net graded down 8 pts for AT surfaces or wipes or it was graded very early (circa 1986) while
    the early grading standards were very, very strict. Recall that it took a heckuva Morgan to grade PCGS MS65 in 1986.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Au-63
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Send that baby in!
  • Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, I can't believe I missed that one -- great look. I'm interested in why Will thinks it would not grade MS because I was about ready to post that I agree with RR's 63 or 64 (and RR knows a thing or two about grading this series).

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dizzy fox--I sent you a pm but then saw that the grade had been posted. For the record, I guessed 55 before I recognized it. I now know I used to own that coin. Not sure why I sold it and I was conflicted about selling it. Always thought it was under-graded. Very glad to see it is in good hands.

Tom

• Options

<< <i>dizzy fox--I sent you a pm but then saw that the grade had been posted. For the record, I guessed 55 before I recognized it. I now know I used to own that coin. Not sure why I sold it and I was conflicted about selling it. Always thought it was under-graded. Very glad to see it is in good hands. >>

Hey folks, I just got back from being away for just under a week. I have spent some quality time examining this coin. As far as I'm concerned (and I have seen enough of these earlier Seated Halves in both MS and PF) this 1849 has the "look" of potentially being a Proof. Now, I know there are only six or so proofs known of this date (so the likelihood is incredibly remote) but, I'm currently holding it up against a few early seated half proofs that I currently own and this 1849 is right there in comparison in all aspects and required proof specification details. Not in the cameo realm, but I'm telling you folks, this coin could quite possibly be a proof. My assessment is under very close, high magnification, and scrutinizing examination with respect with comparing the raised devices to the open fields (which are definitely mirrored), and again, I'm holding this coin in-hand side-to-side with officially TPG graded earlier Proof Seated Halves. In any event, I'm sure it's just "wishful thinking" but no matter what it is, I am very pleased with this coin! image
  • Options
    The coin is PL but I am pretty confident it is not a proof.
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me it says 53 all day long.

I'm amazed nobody else even went below 55, but also amazed to see that it graded "five zero".

Stunning look.
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This proves I can't grade from pics.

That coin's beautiful and, while I can see The Prince of Denmark (Shakespeare reference) grading it 58 because of the knee, looks 63+ to me.

Gold bean as a 58. Betcha it would bring $750-$1,000 in an auction as a 50

Maybe they would have liked it more if they thought the toning was original. image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file