Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this a fair offer? From a collector...

2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭
Hi,
I saw your BST request for dealer offers on your group of coins. While I am not a dealer I would like to make an offer for all of the gold dollars.
1850-O G$ PCGS AU 53
1852-O G$ PCGS AU 50
1853-O G$ PCGS AU 55
1856 Gold $ Slanted 5 PCGS AU 58
I would offer $1200 shipped for the group.
If you are interested I would be able to pay via check prior to you sending the coins.

Got this a while ago... Thoughts?
WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!

Comments

• Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    Its best to keep this kind of stuff private IMO.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Its best to keep this kind of stuff private IMO. >>

Usually I agree, however with all the typical dealer bashing that goes on around here... I just wanted to emphasize collectors aren't totally innocent. I by the way enjoy dealers and collectors...
    WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    The definition of what is a fair offer and what isn't is up to the beholder. A fair offer to someone might not be to somebody else. If the offer seems reasonable to you then you should accept it. If it doesn't then decline and move on.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a little low, bit not shockingly low. $1500 would probably be closer to a fair offer. I value the 1850-O at $700 (wholesale), and the 3 others at about $275. Perhaps the perspective buyer did not realize that the 50-O is a better date?

I cannot find the original listing. We're they offered as a group or individually?
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I had a grand in all of them, it would be more than fair for me. P.S. Doesn't mean I'd sell 'em. image
  • Options
    Be sure to charge $15 shipping. image
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Checked my PM's - whew! It wasn't me. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Be sure to charge $15 shipping. image >>

non-refundable of course.image
  • Options
    TireKickerTireKicker Posts: 870 ✭✭

All the best,

Rob

Successful Trades with: Coincast, MICHAELDIXON

Successful Purchases from: Manorcourtman, Meltdown
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel like its a loball offer. Based on the CU price guide these coins have a market value of 2250 (assuming I am correct). His offer of 1200 is 53% of market. I think a more fair wholesale offer would have been 1500.

I think you could do better than the 1200 auctioning them on ebay. I think you could get close to at least 1500-1600 there. Better yet they would make a fine beginning inventory for your ebay store.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am getting a whiff of spam
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is an offer... accept or reject and move on.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Without seeing the coins in person it is not possible to judge this offer definitively, but in view of the fact that all of the coins are PCGS graded, and the Gray Sheet bid on the group is $1,335, it sounds a bit low.

The 1850-O gold dollar is one of the better dates in the series. Some collectors think that it is equal in rarity to some of the more common Charlotte and Dahlonega mint issues. If that coin is a really nice AU-53, the offer would be really low.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    okiedudeokiedude Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    $1205?
    BST with: Oldhobo, commoncents05, NoLawyer, AgentJim007, Bronzemat, 123cents, Lordmarcovan, VanHalen, ajaan, MICHAELDIXON, jayPem and more!
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple points that have not been addressed...

1. Were the coins offered as a group or individually. If offered as a group, sometimes the offer will be lower if the buyer is purchasing coins that he does not intend to keep.

2. Is it a sight-seen or sight-unseen purchase?

3. Were there accompanying photos and were they high quality? Flattering?

4. Is there a possibility that the person who made the offer did not recognize the rarity of the 50-O and was considering all of the dates to be generic?

5. Perhaps the potential buyer was expecting a counter?
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It is an offer... accept or reject and move on.... Cheers, RickO >>

• Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    I think the offer is a bid too low.
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone wants a deal. Some really do get out there though.image
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I that it was i'll send you a ck then you can send me my coins? image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Its best to keep this kind of stuff private IMO. >>

Yep.

I'd have responded: Thank you very much for the offer, however the least I could take for that group is $1xxx.......

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be sure to ship them for free... because we all know that if you make a profit then you can afford to.
    Oh... wait... that only applies to dealers... image

RIP Mom- 1932-2012

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file