Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My NEWP for My Error Coin Collection

RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
This is my little new addition. I thought it was pretty cool when I saw it and had to have it. Even though the slab says no date, it is a 1998-D. You can make out the 8 of the date as just a shadow, but clearly an 8. Thanks for looking. Richard.

Comments

• Options
    Well, Photobucket certainly stinks now. For some reason, the obverse link won't show. image

EDITED: Finally got it to work. Had to reload the image.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely a cool coin!
    I honestly can't see why it didn't go MS65.

peacockcoins

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Very cool.
    Becky
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Never mind.....you are quick.
    Becky
  • Options
    What a cool coin!
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,547 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very Nice!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool, congrats!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MAN!! That's cool looking! Different that's for sure!!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    Thanks all. I really thought it had a cool look to it. image

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WoW what a strike.. Very cool. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>WoW what a strike.. Very cool. image >>

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i like image
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool, but I still can't undestand assigning a numerical grade to a coin like this. Since most errors are more or less unique, what's the point?
  • Options

<< <i>Very cool, but I still can't undestand assigning a numerical grade to a coin like this. Since most errors are more or less unique, what's the point? >>

I agree. I would enjoy the coin just as much regardless of what kind of holder it was in. It is what it is, and that is a quarter struck 15 times.

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Very cool, but I still can't undestand assigning a numerical grade to a coin like this. Since most errors are more or less unique, what's the point? >>

I agree. I would enjoy the coin just as much regardless of what kind of holder it was in. It is what it is, and that is a quarter struck 15 times. >>

Imagine the poor slob that had to spend 20 minutes determining it wasn't 14 or 16 strikes.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow... certainly unique..... thanks for posting it... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Very nice multi-struck Washington quarter. Not all errors are unique; die clashes, cuds, struck through die caps are some of the main stream errors that can and are repetitive. So, it would behoove one to have a grade assigned to those type of error coins since more than one is in existence and it can be measured against all others.
    Member; ANA, CONECA, CFCC, Fly-in-Club, FUN, NLG.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is an awesome major error, very nice.

Thats a beauty to add to the collection.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was the "P.S." that counted the
    number of strikes -
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grades are less important in error coins.

Most will grade MS. Damaged Error coins will not grade, so it's nice to know an error coin is not damaged.

That said, I like error coins that are MS 64 or higher as well as the very cool grade of AU58.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file