mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
BURGLARY

At approximately 10:45pm ET on July 29th John Maben Rare Coins was the
victim of a smash and grab. The suspects used a shotgun to break a glass
window and entered the office.

They grabbed inventory from a cart that was in the office. It happened very
quickly. The whole thing took less than 2 minutes. There were two or three
people involved. One male approximately 6 foot 200 pounds and possibly one
female or small male 5 foot 110-120 pounds.

Attached is a file with a list of missing items. This has a description,
SKU and quantity of missing items. They are working to find the individual
numbers for the certified coins.

Stolen Coins

If any dealer or collector has information on this offense please contact:

Detective Nathan King- Criminal Investigations Section
PO Box 4115
Sarasota, FL 34230
941-861-4949, 941-861-5800

or

Doug Davis

817-723-7231

Doug@numismaticcrimes.org

Sorry but there's no link to the inventory, it's in PDF form so I can't copy and paste it. Maybe Doug will have his web people make changes to these alerts to allow us to help by putting links to what was stolen online?

Comments

• Where is this coin store located??
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Sarasota, FL
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought roofing was dangerous . Maybe I go back to that... it's definitely more fun running with the boys.
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭
    Glad no one was hurt. Sorry to hear this happened to such a good guy/business.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as thief's are concerned: "off with his hands" and "poke his eyes out"image
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Glad no one was hurt. Sorry to hear this happened to such a good guy/business. >>

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was the store occupied at the time or empty of personnel?? Cheers, RickO
  • JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    It occurred at around 10:45 in the evening, no one was in the building. Smash and grab. Used a shotgun to break window and gain entry. Our facility is very secure and without going into specific detail we spent six figures on state of the art equipment and inventory is normally not accessible however on this occasion there was some in plain view. They are on video, there is some evidence, and we are pursuing the perpetrators by every available means. Thanks for the concern.

John

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It occurred at around 10:45 in the evening, no one was in the building. Smash and grab. Used a shotgun to break window and gain entry. Our facility is very secure and without going into specific detail we spent six figures on state of the art equipment and inventory is normally not accessible however on this occasion there was some in plain view. They are on video, there is some evidence, and we are pursuing the perpetrators by every available means. Thanks for the concern.
    >>

Good luck. I hope you get your coins back.
    Tempus fugit.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Glad no one was hurt. Sorry to hear this happened to such a good guy/business. >>

image >>

Except for the criminals....There are many able and ready gun toters and security personnel in this business that would happily tangle with dangerous crooks and rid the earth of them. >>

And many of us trained to do so, who would not hesitate , yet ... in our hearts, we loathe the very idea that MAN should take another man's life.
    That serves no one, and still leaves a killer on the street... Unjustified, with the sad truth about life. We weren't meant to know the evil and the good.

Pity man.
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    John.

You are one of the good guys. Hope you get those burglars!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭
    maybe the 2013 west point sets were stolen
  • 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    I'm glad no one was hurt. Coins can be replaced.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It occurred at around 10:45 in the evening, no one was in the building. Smash and grab. Used a shotgun to break window and gain entry. Our facility is very secure and without going into specific detail we spent six figures on state of the art equipment and inventory is normally not accessible however on this occasion there was some in plain view. They are on video, there is some evidence, and we are pursuing the perpetrators by every available means. Thanks for the concern.

John >>

Can we assume you didn't put your coins in a safe when you closed for the day? I'm assuming that you have one or more safes at your place of business.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

John >>

Can we assume you didn't put your coins in a safe when you closed for the day? I'm assuming that you have one or more safes at your place of business. >>

I would explain but in doing so could breach our security, so I can't. We have several layers of security, and back ups for the back ups. These guys knew exactly what they wanted and exactly where to find it.

When I told my attorney what happened today he was shocked and said he thought our place resembled the Pentagon with regards to security.

Having worked for other major dealers and both grading services, I know the ropes and we incorporated the best ideas and technology into our security, and upgraded it several times in 5 or 6 years.

I guess we have to do even better, and we are on it.

Thanks again.

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sorry that his happened to such a good guy and a great business. I am very glad that no one was hurt.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • I've had vehicles and homes burglarized multiple times, it is so frustrating for honest hard working people to have what they have earned taken by petty thieves. Good luck getting back what belongs to you and using this experience to improve your security.
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
    banks get robbed also, sounds like you know what you are doing.

glad no one was hurt
    LCoopie = Les

<< <i>Thieves are often very skilled at what they do, as usual an honest livlihood never pays the dividends of a dishonest or evil one. The thieves in Cannes heist last week netted $53 million! Someone or their insurance carriers are hurting today. Also famous heists get glamorized in the cinema ("The Italian Job)". But I doubt criminals sleep very well at night and must fear getting caught at any time. >>

Of course, there are risks.

A criminal attempted to hold my folks up in their clothing store in Balto. City in 1982. He pulled a gun on my Mom. My father shot and killed him. Both of my parents were physically unharmed.
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Thieves are often very skilled at what they do, as usual an honest livlihood never pays the dividends of a dishonest or evil one. The thieves in Cannes heist last week netted $53 million! Someone or their insurance carriers are hurting today. Also famous heists get glamorized in the cinema ("The Italian Job)". But I doubt criminals sleep very well at night and must fear getting caught at any time. >>

Of course, there are risks.

A criminal attempted to hold my folks up in their clothing store in Balto. City in 1982. He pulled a gun on my Mom. My father shot and killed him. Both of my parents were physically unharmed. >>

Thanks! I was very proud of my dad - as was the Balto. City PD.
  • Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    maybe it was the "Amish Mafia"image
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>But I doubt criminals sleep very well at night and must fear getting caught at any time. >>

Getting caught is no big deal anymore as these folks usually fit right into the prison population.

The only thing they'll miss is the opportunity to stroll down to the local hotspot for a cool one. Everything else is within reach in our prison systems.

No, I don't think they lose any sleep about the possibility of getting caught.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file