Home U.S. Coin Forum

Today's cash register finds! Updated!

AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
Found these two in the cash register when closing the pharmacy today.
The nickel was a surprise. The cent while common, is fully red like the day it was minted.

Found these two today:

All coins kept in bank vaults.
PCGS Registries
Box of 20
SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

Comments

• JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    Liberty nickel is a big surprise. Wonder whether the cent is from a recently opened roll ...
    Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln
  • AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finding the nickel is quite amazing.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • A friend at work found a red Lincoln, 1960, last week.

I've never seen a Liberty nickel in circulation. Neat find!
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

In all of my years of collecting and searching change, going to banks for rolls, etc., I have never found a single Liberty nickel. Found a few dateless Buffalo nickels over the years though. Never a V-nickel. Nice find!
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was working, if we broke up Whitman Lincoln #2 albums for the wheat cents, I always tried to put the 1959-on coins in the cash register. Often they were rather Uncish.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    "must have been stolen loot"
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    I used to find lots of Buffs with dates as a kid but never a Liberty nickel. I do have 3 well worn Libs my mom gave me that she got as a tip in the early fifties when she was a waitress.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have found about a dozen or so Liberty nickels in roll searches during the last couple of years. The oldest is an very worn 1890, the most recent was about a month and a half ago I found a 1908. I have over 100 Buffalos from the same searching time.

Older BU cents turn up more frequently - like someone is breaking up original rolls and dumping them into Coinstar machines.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Used to get liberty nickels frequently when I was a kid on my paper route.... have not seen one in change in many years.... Cheers, RickO
  • DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe someone was tossing them into circulation to encourage new collectors?image
  • I've gone through a few hundred boxes of nickels over the years and have only found 2 v-nickels, so that is definitely a cool find.

Going through cents, I regularly find bunches of bright red cents from the 60's and 70's. Every now and then I'll find a few red AU/BU wheaties. Not sure if collectors/dealers went cherrypicking through rolls or if someone finally emptied that jug of coins in Grandpa's basement. Probably a combination of the 2, but it's always cool seeing them.

Nice finds on both!
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Update!
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Nice
    Greg Bose
    CoinSpace.com Founder
    www.coinspace.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file