Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1941-S/S Large S RPM#2 Jefferson Nickel - Where are they?

BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭
While we are on Jefferson Nickel Cherry Pickers Varieties, where the heck are the 1941-S/S Large S RPM#2s????

This was the lone additional to the Jefferson Nickel Varieties in the last Cherry Pickers Edition. Don't go to the book to see what this RPM looks like because they forgot to provide a picture!!! Kind of lets you know how important Jefferson Nickels are to the publishers.

Anyway, I've been buying most every 1941-S Large S for a long time. I know several other collectors that do the same and out of all those Large S's, we have NO RPM#2's. The PCGS Population on this variety is now 2-MS66 and 1-AU55. Kind of makes you wonder where the heck all the other ones are? Like the 1968-S Proof RPM#1 (earlier post), if there is one, there should be hundreds of them. With the 2 examples in MS66 to me implies they are out there in high grade, so where are they?

Let me know if you have a little stash of 1941-S Large S's and your observations about this RPM.

Comments

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll keep my eye out BD

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    Good luck finding one. I have also been looking to try to cherry-pick a high grade.
    (The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

My Jefferson Full Step Variety Set (1938 - Current)

My Jefferson Proof Variety Set (1938 - Current)
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have also wondered why some varieties are so hard to find. My thought has always been that there should have been one dies worth of any variety. If they get 100,000 coins from a die...there should be 100,000 of the variety.

The 1941 DDO is as hard to find as your Jeff in this thread and I wonder why as you do!image
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just look for the Lg 'S' Varieties now i need to go look for a Varietie in this Varietie. This is geting harder and harder i'll go look at my little hoard when i have time, Thanks for the info. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll have to go through my little stash of these and look for the RPM now that I have a pic to guide me. There is also a nice DDR on a 1941-S large S, I've only seen one and I actually ended up selling it back to the eBayer who auctioned it to me after he came down with a severe case of seller's remorse.

<< <i>The 1941 DDO is as hard to find as your Jeff in this thread and I wonder why as you do! >>

I may have a 1941 Jefferson DDO, I'll have to check later tonight.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll have to go through my little stash of these and look for the RPM now that I have a pic to guide me. There is also a nice DDR on a 1941-S large S, I've only seen one and I actually ended up selling it back to the eBayer who auctioned it to me after he came down with a severe case of seller's remorse.

<< <i>The 1941 DDO is as hard to find as your Jeff in this thread and I wonder why as you do! >>

I may have a 1941 Jefferson DDO, I'll have to check later tonight.

Sean Reynolds >>

DIMEMAN was talking about the 1941 DDO Mercury Dime that he and I are having trouble locating. PUP is on the motto.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    seanq, - I have one of those DDR 1941-S Large S's in my ALL VARIETY Set. Devastated that is has a scratch on the reverse and won't grade.

Type2 - Keep me posted on you finding a couple 1941-S/S's in that stash!

ALL VARIETIES Set
  • Options
    What's up with folks looking through their Large S's out there?

DIMEMAN - One of these days I'm going to find something you need!
  • Options
    I hope you are right Big Dog! Find me something.image
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looked at some box's found some nice stuff but no 41 S/S's have around 30+ Lg 'S' though I will find one some day.... image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

Good Morning Big Doggie',,,? This is Jim Berline, I do have a Jefferson Large S Variety in a MS-67 , I was very lucky finding it.

Just go into my Ngc Jefferson collection(s) it'll be there. There's only (3) at the time I purchased it, thru Ngc,,,Pcgs doesn't have any

at this grade level at the last time I checked. Anyways, write me, I always enjoy hearing from you .
  • Options
    Jim,

Awesome 1941-S Large S! We are on the hunt for the Large S RPM#2! Got one for me?

• Options

I don't think I'll get that lucky, I'm satisfied with this one. I do wish you and other variety collectors the best in finding one,,,

I'd like to compare it, an see how much different this variety really is,,,,

Take care my friend, Jim
  • Options
    I recently had an opportunity to look at 11 uncirculated Large S's and...........................................................shut down again!!!!!!

Where are they?
  • Options

<< <i>I recently had an opportunity to look at 11 uncirculated Large S's and...........................................................shut down again!!!!!!

Where are they? >>

Ugh, I understand where you are coming from...looking for 6 different very tough Merc Varieties. Keep looking. It's got to be a numbers game, right? image
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    hyf88hyf88 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭
    I think I found one of these this week in a roll. Suppose it would grade F/VF but has the rim nick and some red stuff on it that would probably come off with some acetone. The mintmark appears to be repunched similarly to the one in the OP's picture.

- Bill

• Options
    Nice find Bill but that might GENUINE due to the rim bump and extra "smile line" of sorts.
  • Options
    Bill,

Yes you did! Nice find! I know they are out there. See if you can soak the red off. This is a nice sample to keep until you find me an uncirculated one!!
  • Options
    It's been over a your since the last post on this thread and nothing new to update! Not eve a circulated example has crossed my path. Where the heck is the stash? I know they are out there!
  • Options
    I did not know you were still looking. Geez! I will be going to a good sized Clearwater, FL show around July and then also Summer FUN. I will add this to my list of things to search for. A couple of years ago in this thread I said I was looking for a 41 DDO Merc. Lol, I found it in top pop MS65, the only mint state example known. Maybe I can do the same with this tough coin?
  • Options
    Keyman64........I'll keep my fingers crossed!!!

Thanks
  • Options
    If you can't run with the "BigDowgie"........stay on the porch.image

Some of these varieties are really hard to find.......but that's the fun of it.

When I found that 59-D RPM last fall at the Silver Dollar show.......I was elated.....it was a shock!image
  • Options
    Hey, my motto in life is the same for coin collecting........if you don't look, you will never find!

Keep hunting!
  • Options
    Man-o-man....I obtained an example of this one.....but it probably grades VG-F. I'm almost tempted to have it graded!!!

Now that we know there are MS examples all the way down to VG.....that means there must be at least 50,000 or so more examples in-between!!!

Help me find one of those MS examples....please!!!!
  • Options
    Congrats! I am still looking at every show I go to. Two big shows coming up in June/July.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i havent seen one as of yet but will keep a keener eye on it
  • Options
    WOW! I'm still looking for that MS example! I had to send in my uncirculated example, graded XF40. What's crazy is there are 2 MS66 examples then an AU55 then my XF40! I guess I should feel good about having the 4th nicest graded 1941-S/S RPM#2 graded by PCGS!
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Hey Big Dog ...... a XF40 is better than nothing. My 1954 DDR801 is a 40. Glad I have it. I still look at all 54's!

Funny......the pop's on the 54 DDR is the same as your 41-S large S. 2 66's 1 AU55 and a XF40!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file