Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Ancient Greece: Kingdom of Macedon, silver drachm of Alexander III, ca. 336-323 BC, lifetime issue

Ancient Greece: Kingdom of Macedon, silver drachm of Alexander III ("The Great"), ca. 336-323 BC, lifetime issue

NGC Fine (Strike 4/5, Surface 2/5, "deposits"). Acquired raw as part of a trade with Jason Colinger ('erwindoc"), Collectors Universe forums, 8/29/2012. Ex-Littleton Coin Company sometime before that.

Alexander III is better known as Alexander the Great*, of course. This particular coin is not the greatest example by any means, but I'm much happier owning it than the circulated Walking Liberty halves I traded for it. This coin does not compare to the huge posthumous tetradrachm* I once owned, nor to another slabbed drachm I had a few years ago, but it will hold space in my "Box of 20" set just fine until I step up to another tetradrachm someday.

NGC cert verification page

When posted here, this coin was part of my "Eclectic Box of 20" collection.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Very nice Lord M, so far I have resisted ancients but it's getting harder and harder.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got this beauty in 2011:

Alexander the Great Tetradrachm Babylon Lifetime issue

Obverse:
    Bust of Alexander as Herakles wearing lion-skin headdress
    Reverse:
    Zeus seated left holding eagle in right hand and scepter in left hand
    Astragalos and M in left field, monogram under throne
    ALEXANDER (in Greek)
    Size: 27mm
    Weight: 17.10gm
    Catalog: Price 3674
    Struck: BC 325-323 Babylon

I bought it partly because it was minted in Babylon.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Alas, Babylon" That's a sharp one, WB2! image

I still like your aureus the best, I think. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Lord M, very nice coin! I hope to add an Alex to my collection and have been lurking around a few auctions all over the place in hopes of a minor issue at a reasonable price.

Willie: Super sharp, that is.
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's my example, a lifetime tetradrachm currently in an NGC AU "Star" holder with Strike 5/5, Surface 4/5. This came from the Aradus mint.

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As usual, you've trumped all the rest of us, SE1795.

But as I've said, I don't mind a bit. Gives us a chance to admire your beauties.

I'll bet your "junkbox" coins would be prizes, if they were in my collection. image

I've often said that about the holed Zeno solidus which is the centerpiece of my Holey Gold Hat. It must have come out of Louis Eliasberg's junkbox. (I picture some old cigar box in his desk drawer).